Nfsc Falling Apart

Baking By RosieC Updated 2 Jun 2009 , 3:00am by crumbcake

RosieC Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 10:39am
post #1 of 10

Does anyone else have this problem? My last batch of decorated NFSC made it to the party ok but most of them broke before they left the party! They were pretty large cookies though so wondering if that is why it happened...seems they were pretty soft..maybe I should have baked them longer since they were so large but they had begun to brown around the edges so was afraid they'd be too done.

9 replies
bonniebakes Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 11:41am
post #2 of 10

hmmm... was it particularly humid at the venue? were the shapes "thin" in some places"

I bake my NFSC dough at 325 instead of 350, and bake a little longer, so that the edges don't get too brown and the entire cookie bakes through.

momg9 Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 2:29pm
post #3 of 10

I recently made some Easter bouquets with crosses. I found that some of the crosses broke at the intersection. I think I didn't push the stick in far enough. I also had a problem with them spreading a little, which they have never done before, and being a little softer. I think it may have been the flour. I always use restaurant & hotel all purpose flour from Costco and since I was out I used Gold Medal from the grocery store. I seem to remember someone saying how much better the quality was when made for food businesses.

Lisa2416 Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 4:02pm
post #4 of 10

I have also had this problem. I have taken a tray of NFSC cookies to an event and many crack or break before the evening is over. I would love to find a solution. I don't seem to have this problem if I package them in cellophane bags, but I would like to have the option of pretty cookies on a try.

mgwebb68 Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 4:30pm
post #5 of 10

I've only used the recipe once and I didn't have any problems. They didn't spread when baking and they stayed intact. I did make them a little thick to begin with. They were really crisp when they cooled and I was a little worried. However, I live in Texas and it's always humid. By the time I delivered the cookies to my family they had softened a bit and were perfect. But I didn't have any issues with breaking.

MichelleM77 Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 7:51pm
post #6 of 10

Was it humid? That is the only time I have had an issue with sugar cookies.

HeidiCrumbs Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 7:57pm
post #7 of 10

Let me tell you, the NFSC has failed me every time I have tried it. I have given up, now I use The Best Rolled Sugar Cookie recipe from allrecipes.com. I only add three eggs instead of four though and it turns out perfect every time. Good luck!

mgwebb68 Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 8:06pm
post #8 of 10

When I used it, I rolled the dough (like the note said) right after mixing between wax paper and then refridgerated it overnight. When I took it out the next morning to start cutting it worked great. When it started getting warm it did start to crumble, but I rolled it out again and put it back in the fridge to chill. My cookies turned out great. Even with the Texas humidity I didn't have any problems.

RosieC Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 10:02pm
post #9 of 10

It was extremely humid that day and I had a really rough time with the baking and just the whole ordeal. I had made them several times before with no spreading and they held up very well. I chilled the dough too..that's the only way I could even work with it..it just seemed so greasy but I followed the recipe and made two batches and both seemed the same...so I'm going to try and blame it on the humidity and maybe I'll try that recipe on allrecipes.com....thanks for all the replies.

crumbcake Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 3:00am
post #10 of 10

Humidity! That's it. I live in Fla. and baked on a rainy and humid day, and the cookies were too soft and broke too. Never had this problem before using the same receipe.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%