Long Lasting Cake Question...

Decorating By Elise87 Updated 2 Jun 2009 , 12:10am by Bunsen

Elise87 Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 9:53am
post #1 of 18

Is there something special you have to do to a cake mixture to make the cake last longer for a cake contest? It would not need be eaten or anything though...sorry i am clueless about this

Thanks for any help icon_smile.gif

17 replies
Evoir Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 10:16am
post #2 of 18

Hi Elise!

No...there isn't really. I have used fruit cake (one was actually a REALLY awful fruit cake, LOL), and its served its purpose well! I imagine you are totally covering in fondant? Once you have your cake completely covered in fondant (fruit cake) it is sealed and will keep fresh. It won't disintegrate or anything under the fondant. Be sure though to not use cornflour to roll your fondant as the two react and form a slime between the layers (yes, eww!)

I would use a nice dense cake. But...also check your competition rules as you may be allowed to use a styrofoam cake (cake dummy). As long as your design CAN be done in real cake, they are usually happy enough for you to use a dummy.

My two cakes that I had in this year's Royal Easter Show in Sydney were fruit cakes (christening cake, and echidna cake). They were on display for over a month with no ill effect!

HTH icon_smile.gif

LSW Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 10:18am
post #3 of 18

If the cake is being judged just for the decorating you might want to use styrofoam cake dummies instead of real cake.

Evoir Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 10:22am
post #4 of 18

My one tip for using styro is to make sure you fix it well to your board, because it is so light and therefore moves around a fair bit. And use water on the styro to adhere your fondant. You may also need to gently round your edges to stop the fondant tearing as you appl it. icon_smile.gif

Elise87 Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 10:42am
post #5 of 18

ahhh it didn't notify me of replies again! lol

Well i was thinking of entering the royal melbourne show (and freakin out!) and the rules pretty much state that i have to use a real cake and not a dummy cake *sigh* lol

I havn't made a fruit cake before evoir but i am thinking would a packet cake mix last longer than a scratch mix? Although i think someone i know found a recipe that lasts a week so maybe that is the way to go for a scratch cake.

I am kinna scared to enter now after reading what the judges are looking for lol

....oh and yes i would be doing it in fondant

Evoir Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 10:51am
post #6 of 18

Elise - please let me know if you need an easy recipe for fruit cake. As far as packet mix goes, if you can opt for a med cake type recipe as it will hold its shape better.

How exciting - the Melbourne show!! My entries in the Sydney Royal were my first cakes I've ever entered in a cake comp...I was over the moon getting a ribbon for each one thumbs_up.gif

Evoir Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 10:52am
post #7 of 18

That should be MUD cake, not med cake!!!

Bunsen Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 10:58am
post #8 of 18

Just a thought - could you use a bought fruit cake if you don't want to make one? Not sure how strict the rules are!

Good luck in the show - I haven't been brave enough yet but I think I'll enter the Royal Easter Show next year. Evoir, I love your echidna cake!

Elise87 Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 11:05am
post #9 of 18

Evoir: Oooooo congradulations on the ribbons!!!! party.gif

I just saw the cakes you entered into the show in your gallery, they are great! I must say i have seen your Echidna cake before and i LOVE it! It is so cute and well done. I bet ALOT of effort went into it and reckon it should have come first!

These will be my first cakes put into a show but I havn't had that much experience though and not done that many cakes that is why i am freaking out but i still want to have a go and i will hopefully improve more by the time i have to submit it lol

Oh and thanks Bunsen

Evoir Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 11:07am
post #10 of 18

Thank you! He was a lot of fun to make.

I decided rather last-minute to enter the show. I literally had 30 minutes to put in my entry online into the relevant categories (and their website is SOOO annoying, LOL) on the closing date for entries, but I didn't realise I'd have to commit in writing to what I would be making! Yikes...so I came up with the echidna very quickly as an idea, and also the christening cake. I had entered one more category, but essentially had bitten off more than I could chew icon_smile.gif So I 'withdrew' that entry (and lost my $10 haha) and just focused on those cakes.

Bunsen...it is a nerve-wracking experience for sure, but good luck if you do do it icon_smile.gif

BTW, are you planning on going to the big conference in Sydney in August?

Elise87 Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 11:14am
post #11 of 18

you should defiantly enter Bunsen!!

The idea to enter just sort of popped into my head yesterday out of nowhere and just decided to do it lol Now i am like eep once i read more about it lol But i reackon just go for it icon_biggrin.gif

Elise87 Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 11:38am
post #12 of 18

My only problem is that i can't do all those tricky intricate things that most people can do cose i havn't tried them yet and i want to do a design that is fairly simple technically wise but is detailed and stands out.....would that be ok for a novice entry? or you think i should go more technical......if you know what i saying lol

Evoir Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 11:47am
post #13 of 18

Check the different categories - there is always novice AND master AND open class entry categories. If you have never won a first place ribbon in any similarly recognised competition, you are able to enter as a novice. However many times you want - so long as you've never come first icon_smile.gif

Having said that, there are some jaw-dropping novice entries, as evidently not everyone starts entering competitions straight away. My guess is some people are VERY experienced when they enter some novice comps.

I did it more to test my own abilities to formulate a design and enter it to a deadline. I have issues with perfectionistic behaviour, so it was a priceless experience for me. And it was a huge boost to my self-confidence to be recognised amongst soem terrific cake decorators.

If you can afford ther time and ingredients - I recommend it!!

Evoir Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 11:51am
post #14 of 18

There are lots of really important tips to remember too, if you do choose to enter. Lots of great cakes are immediately disqualified for NOT conforming to basic competition rules. eg: board sizes, types of materials used and the like.

I'm happy to help you work it all out, Elise, if you need a sounding board icon_smile.gif

Bunsen Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 11:56am
post #15 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evoir

BTW, are you planning on going to the big conference in Sydney in August?

I haven't heard about this, tell me more!

Elise87 Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 12:09pm
post #16 of 18

haha i only started properly decorating for like 4 months but have only done like 4 cakes so defiantly a novice! I just don't get the oppotunity to do that many so i thought this is the perfect excuse and have never entered a cake show before.

Believe me i have seen last years cakes at the show and OMG and I might not get anywhere but i dunno i want a challenge i guess and if they don't like it then oh well....but i wouldn't send in a cake that i didn't think looked good icon_smile.gif

Anyways i might freak and change my mind lol I am reading through all the rules and judging criteria etc at the moment.

Thanks for the offer to help too evoir! icon_smile.gif

Oh and btw i am a perfectionist too

Evoir Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 10:24pm
post #17 of 18

I think there are a few perfectionists out there in the cake world icon_smile.gif

Bunsen - its the big Cake Decorators Association conference...goes for a whole week in late August. I can't go unfortunately. They have a competition associated with it. I don't think the next conference will be in Sydney until 2021 or something. Sorry I don't have all the information on it with me right now, but its on their website!

Bunsen Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 12:10am
post #18 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evoir

Bunsen - its the big Cake Decorators Association conference...goes for a whole week in late August. I can't go unfortunately. They have a competition associated with it. I don't think the next conference will be in Sydney until 2021 or something. Sorry I don't have all the information on it with me right now, but its on their website!

Thanks, I'll check it out!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%