Dense Cake Recipes??

Baking By letem_eat_cakes Updated 3 Jun 2009 , 2:17pm by bake-aholic

letem_eat_cakes Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 6:40am
post #1 of 2

okay here goes. i am planning on ATTEMPTING icon_confused.gif to make a topsy-turvy cake in less than a month and i need to know what would be the best cake mix for this. i want to use both chocolate and yellow cake. what is a good dense(?) yet moist cake that will hold up good for stacking and carving?

1 reply
bake-aholic Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 2:17pm
post #2 of 2

If you're looking for a dense and delicious, professional quality cake that does great for icing, here it is. It is quite versatile (chocolate, lemon, white, marble, and more). Have fun and enjoy! icon_smile.gif

White Almond Sour Cream Cake

http://www.recipezaar.com/White-Almond-Sour-Cream-Wedding-Cake-69630*

* (or 2 c. + 2 TB cake flour)

Double the recipe makes:
One 18 round and one 10 round
All 4 sizes in the Wilton petal pan set

For berry flavors: *You'll need to add a little extra batter to each pan for this version.* I found I needed at least another cup and a half of batter for a 10 inch round when using the fruit version.

Lemon cake: This variation is excellent with a raspberry filling.

Marble Cake Poundcake:
I follow box instructions but add 1 package, 4 serving size, of instant pudding - I use vanilla, use 3 tbsp. oil, reduce water called for by 1/4 cup or use that amount in milk, use an additional egg than what is called for on box.
Follow baking instructions per box.

*When you don't have a Marble Mix but have a yellow mix, you can turn it into a Marble Mix easily by following the above but with the Yellow mix and reserving 1 cup of your batter to which you add 1/3 cup cocoa powder and proceed as directed.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%