What Happened?

Decorating By deelovlie1 Updated 1 Jun 2009 , 2:16pm by deelovlie1

deelovlie1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deelovlie1 Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 4:18am
post #1 of 8

icon_cry.gif I tried stacking cakes after filling them I did a few layers and they slipped?? was I supposed to freeze them first? I am new to this but would like to learn how any advice please???? also what is torting a cake? Is that what I did? Thanksicon_smile.gif

7 replies
mommyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommyle Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 4:26am
post #2 of 8

I would try to help more, but I really should be sleeping by now. ;
Search here for more, but first, read this. http://www.cakecentral.com/article49-Building-The-Cake-Combination-Pillar--Stacked-Construction.html
HTH

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 4:26am
post #3 of 8

No you don't need to freeze it before stacking it. What filling did you use.

I'm not sure if I can define torting well -- but in my words, it is cutting layers of cake where you will add filling.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 4:27am
post #4 of 8

Hi and Congrats on your 1st post, deelovlie1. icon_smile.gif

Everything you need to know to make, decorate and assemble tiered/stacked/layer cakes:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-605188-.html

A firm frosting dam helps keep the filling in place. But I've found the sleeved pastry filling usage charts very helpful in determining "how much" filling is enough without asking for problems... This info can be found in the above super thread, along with indydebi's thread on pastry filling usage amounts.

Torting is splitting a cake layer into two or more smaller layers (for peeps who love MORE filling). Otherwise two (intact) cake layers are sandwiched together (with filling or frosting) per tier. (See Wilton cake decorating links above for more detailed info.)

HTH

Edited to correct link. icon_redface.gif

deelovlie1 Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 4:30am
post #5 of 8

ok yeah thats what I did..(torted it) I used macmoms truffle filling..but it just slided everytime I tried frosting the sides? maybe the cake was not cooled all the way? When I cut into it the filling did look a little melty?

deelovlie1 Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 4:36am
post #6 of 8

icon_redface.gif maybe I did put too much filling...it looked so good lol and it was my first time.. I tried clicking on the link you sent but it directed me to the same page were on?..Thank you all so much for helping me out...my neices bday is coming up so I am practicing before I make hers lol Im gonna need alot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanH

Hi and Congrats on your 1st post, deelovlie1. icon_smile.gif

Everything you need to know to make, decorate and assemble tiered/stacked/layer cakes:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-634001-.html

A firm frosting dam helps keep the filling in place. But I've found the sleeved pastry filling usage charts very helpful in determining "how much" filling is enough without asking for problems... This info can be found in the above super thread, along with indydebi's thread on pastry filling usage amounts.

Torting is splitting a cake layer into two or more smaller layers (for peeps who love MORE filling). Otherwise two (intact) cake layers are sandwiched together (with filling or frosting) per tier. (See Wilton cake decorating links above for more detailed info.)

HTH

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 4:45am
post #7 of 8

The link should work now. icon_smile.gif

deelovlie1 Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 2:16pm
post #8 of 8

Yes It works now Thank you so muchicon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%