Lift The Spatula

Decorating By chouxchoux Updated 1 Jun 2009 , 2:22pm by radtech

chouxchoux Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 4:01am
post #1 of 8

when icing the cake, when i lift the spatula, the icing comes up along with the "sticky" layer of crumbs. very frustrating. how can i aviod the sticky crumbs, and is the icing too thick? the layers are chilled. i do not touch the cake with the spatula. thanks

7 replies
Misdawn Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 4:08am
post #2 of 8

sounds like your icing is too thick. Trying thinning it a bit and see if that helps.

JanH Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 4:09am
post #3 of 8

If you're pulling up cake with the frosting, I'd say your frosting is too thick.

You can avoid sticky crumbs by using the large icing tip #789.

Here's a photo tutorial by Wilton:

http://www.wilton.com/decorating/icing/using-decorating-tip-789.cfm

HTH

Kitagrl Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 4:11am
post #4 of 8

Yes icing too thick...and also just remember to put a good sized glob of icing on there to begin with. If you only put a little, you end up with too thin of an amount and you can pull up crumbs. You can always scrape some off again.

Also try doing a crumb coat first...that helps too.

chouxchoux Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 4:16am
post #5 of 8

yes, this happens when i'm trying to do the crumb coat, i also start off with a large amount, but it still comes up....will try to use thinner icing.

__Jamie__ Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 4:41am
post #6 of 8

Ahhh...key word "lifting". You shouldn't be lifting, if you literally mean, pulling the spatula straight out. You should always be swiping, and gradually coming away from the cake, with less and less pressure. Make sense? It's weird to describe I guess.

chouxchoux Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 2:08pm
post #7 of 8

thank you

radtech Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 2:22pm
post #8 of 8

I find that I get sticky tops with the WASC cake, it drives me crazy also.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%