I Need An Awesome Chocolate Bc!

Baking By chassidyg Updated 2 Jun 2009 , 6:21pm by chassidyg

chassidyg Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 2:33am
post #1 of 9

My sister in law's mother in law asked me to do her son's groomscake...for FRIDAY! She wasnt going to have one until she tasted the shower cake I did!

She wants a basic chocolate cake with chocolate bc & chocolate covered strawberries...

So, I need a great chocolate bc, the ones I have tried havent been great. And Can I use wilton candies for the strawberries, or mercken's? I havent done them before. Is there a "how to" somewhere?

Thanks for all your help!

8 replies
ncox Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 2:41am
post #2 of 9

I use SugarShack's buttercream and add Hershey's cocoa powder (to taste) and a little more liquid (for consistency) and get raves reviews.

I prefer the taste of almond bark for covering strawberries - add a bit of shortening to thin and it will coat better.

Good Luck! HTH!!

icer101 Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 2:44am
post #3 of 9

when i did a grooms cake, couple of years ago.. i used toba garrets , chocolate buttercream, where she adds in ganache..it was wonderful.. i used merkens chocolate to dip the strawberries.. i had to make them look like a tux.. i was proud. don,t have a picture in my photos of it. but there are plenty on this site. when i was having to make them.. i googled... how to make strawberry texedos.. got lot of great tutorials.. if you need them , i will look them up. ok?

mandyloo Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 2:45am
post #4 of 9

My chocoholic bf loves this choco buttercream:
1/2 c butter
1/2 crisco
4 c p. sugar
1/2 c coco powder
as many tablespoons of chocolate milk as you need to reach the desired consistency.

Sooo tasty. Great as a filling, great for piping...

ally38562 Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 3:58pm
post #5 of 9

I made the hersheys choc frosing recipe and added it to my reg buttercream. It was awesome! I used about 2/3 frosting & 1/3 buttercream. I dont like just adding cocoa to my buttercream, doesnt taste that great to me.

Kimmers971 Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 4:22pm
post #6 of 9

I found this one on CC and absolutely LOVE it (and so does everyone I feed it to)!

teddybr218 Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 5:30pm
post #7 of 9

I make my regular buttercream and add a can of ready made frosting. Everyone loves it. It doesn't look as chocolately as I think it should but the taste is good.

idjitmom Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 6:13pm
post #8 of 9

I use any buttercream receipe, make it chocolate by adding cocoa powder, and make it super yum by adding a jar of Hershey's special dark ice cream fudge topping ( you can use any kind of fudge topping, that's just what I usually use).

chassidyg Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 6:21pm
post #9 of 9

UGH! I am so upset!!! I didnt get any notice to responses, and thought no one had answered, and went & bought a huge 28lb bucket from sams club! I am saving these for when my big bucket is empty though! icon_smile.gif Thanks for all your answers & help!

I have a ton of almond bark, so I could use that. Will Almond Bark work to make shavings as well? I was going to start those today, and put them in a tupperware container until I need them on Friday.

Quote by @%username% on %date%