The Great Scratch-Off...yellow Cakes

Decorating By Lita829 Updated 31 Jan 2018 , 3:49pm by MBalaska

KitchenKat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KitchenKat Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 2:29am
post #151 of 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lita829

Thanks for the link, CasualKitchen. I think I'm gonna get the book, also.

I apologize if the recipe that I submitted from About.com is not a SW original. I was under the impression it was but I guess I was wrong.

You're welcome Darlita!

The recipe you posted from About.com IS the original SW recipe, from her book Sweet Celebrations, published in 1999.

The newer recipe, the one with ginger and milk, comes from her newer book Sensational Cakes published in 2008.

icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

Lita829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lita829 Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 2:46am
post #152 of 425

Thanks again icon_smile.gif I feel better knowing that the recipe that I posted was, indeed, a SW original.

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 8:04pm
post #153 of 425

I baked today! But the cake is frozen will use it tomorrow for our 2nd month anniversary. icon_smile.gif It smelled wonderful though and the crust tasted good hehe

moreCakePlz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moreCakePlz Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 9:31pm
post #154 of 425

I had to make some cupcakes for a pee-wee baseball banquet and I decided to try the Not So Lemon Magnolia recipe. Since the cupcakes where for kids I subbed the 1/4 cup lemon juice for more milk, and replaced the lemon jest with vanilla.

I accidentally over baked them, but my goof didnât adversely affect the cuppies. I honestly think my oven is possessed, sometimes it runs too hot and sometimes too cool. I canât quite figure it out.

Non-Lemon Magnolia Recipe (aka Magnolia Bakeryâs Vanilla Cake)

Texture: The texture was tender and airy and the crumb was quite coarse. The cupcake tops formed a crunchy, sugary crust, but the sides were nice and tender. The cupcake crumbled when broken apart, so I don't know how well it would slice.

Moistness: Even over-baked the cake was still moist. Not wet or clumpy, just pillowy (sp).

Flavor: Pleasing blend of butter and vanilla (mostly butter) with a great mouth feel. Sweet, but not overly so. The cupcakes didnât get a WOW reaction from the kids or adults, but everyone thought they were very good.

Ease of preparation: Normal. Creaming but no whipping of egg whites.

Cost: average

Other Comments: Tops of cupcakes didn't dome, but they also didn't sink when removed from oven. Some of the tops had a sticky feel. This is a great recipe for a large function where you are trying to please as many people as possible. Reminds me a lot of a box mix, but only moister and with a melt in you mouth butter feel.

I give it a 9 out of 10
LL
LL

cakeymom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeymom Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 9:57pm
post #155 of 425

This is so interesting, and I am a HUGE fan of scrathc baking, so THANKS everyone!!!!!!! thumbs_up.gif

But, is there anyway to compile the results into a spreadsheet of sorts?????

cakeymom

sayhellojana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sayhellojana Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 10:56pm
post #156 of 425

morecakePLZ - it doesn't even look like you over-baked it. The cake looks so moist. I'm going to try to find time to try that recipe, too.

moreCakePlz Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 11:14pm
post #157 of 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by sayhellojana

morecakePLZ - it doesn't even look like you over-baked it. The cake looks so moist. I'm going to try to find time to try that recipe, too.

Donât be fooled, this was one of the better looking one! icon_lol.gif The cupcakes in top pan looked okay, but the cuppies in the bottom pan (closest to the heating elements) were downright crispy looking. Ha, ha. I didn't take any pictures off them.

mclaren Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mclaren Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 12:39am
post #158 of 425

hi all of you, those who have tried SW's yellow cake with ginger, what kind of ginger did you add? fresh ginger minced finely?
coz i always have fresh ginger in my kitchen, it's something we use frequently in our dishes over here. but i can't imagine how to add 1/2 tsp of ginger into a cake batter and still making it mix well into the batter.
or is the ginger in SW's recipe referring to powdered / essence version (which makes more sense adding into the batter)?

would subbing with cinnamon / nutmeg be ok?

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 12:45am
post #159 of 425

Hi,

Definitely powdered ginger. Since I couldn't really detect the ginger taste at all, I'm not sure nutmeg or cinnamon would work. I think that may be too strong of a "taste" for this light tasting cake.

If you're going for more of a spice cake flavor then I think it would be good though.

pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 12:53am
post #160 of 425

i used powdered ginger in SW yellow cake and I couldn't taste it in the baked cake but boy was it delish (sorry didn't mean to jump in but I have been watching this thread to see if any cake matches hers in taste cause i m always looking for the perfect yellow cake)

Deb_ Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 1:07am
post #161 of 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by pattycakesnj

i used powdered ginger in SW yellow cake and I couldn't taste it in the baked cake but boy was it delish (sorry didn't mean to jump in but I have been watching this thread to see if any cake matches hers in taste cause i m always looking for the perfect yellow cake)

Jump in jump in!! Isn't this the best tasting cake? I'm completely hooked on it!

Have you ever tried freezing the layers? I have 3 large tiered cake orders next weekend and I'd love to bake them all on Monday (my day off) and freeze them, but I've never frozen SW before.

Anybody have any experience freezing SW classic yellow?

pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 1:11am
post #162 of 425

sorry, never have frozen them before but why not. that cake is so good, nothing can hurt it.

revel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
revel Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 1:37am
post #163 of 425

Wow! Where was i when this started! Sweet! I only do scratch baking.
Going to page one to start from the beginning!

mclaren Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 1:38am
post #164 of 425

thanks dkelly & pattycakesnj!

i think i've seen powdered ginger sold here.. just that fresh ginger is abundant here and people rarely buy powdered, but i believe i've seen them sold. i'll keep this in mind, so that in the future if i come across powdered ginger i'm gonna grab it & put it in my basket icon_biggrin.gif

thanks!!

CourtneysSweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CourtneysSweets Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 2:14am
post #165 of 425

Does SW recipe turn out good for cupcakes?

Deb_ Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 2:24am
post #166 of 425

I've never used it for cupcakes, but the recipe does say it can be done. I think I'll try some this weekend if I get a chance.

The only bad thing about making these for home is that I can't stop eating it! icon_rolleyes.gif

I made my DH's b-day cake on Tuesday and I've been picking on it all week........it's like I'm addicted to it! icon_razz.gif

KitchenKat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KitchenKat Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 2:36am
post #167 of 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkelly

I've never used it for cupcakes, but the recipe does say it can be done. I think I'll try some this weekend if I get a chance.

The only bad thing about making these for home is that I can't stop eating it! icon_rolleyes.gif

I made my DH's b-day cake on Tuesday and I've been picking on it all week........it's like I'm addicted to it! icon_razz.gif

me too! icon_biggrin.gif

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 6:15am
post #168 of 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by moreCakePlz

Quote:

Donât be fooled, this was one of the better looking one! icon_lol.gif The cupcakes in top pan looked okay, but the cuppies in the bottom pan (closest to the heating elements) were downright crispy looking. Ha, ha. I didn't take any pictures off them.

Do you think any of this might have to do with the subbing of milk for lemon juice? It clearly changes the fat ratio in the recipe; however not being trained in food/baking science, I don't know if it would change it enough to matter.

p.s. I baked the SW as cuppies three nights ago. They worked ok (tasted good, moist, but a few pulled away from the wrapper). I haven't had time to type up my summary, plus I didn't sign up for that cake--I am still on the hook for two other recipes, so I wanted to wait til I did my prescribed cakes and write em up all at once LOL.

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 7:26am
post #169 of 425

Haven't reviewed my cake yet, I filled it and frosted it and it's in the fridge right now... so far I am not impressed. It looks really dense and the crumb is coarse and big. Maybe that's because it's cold? Should I let it go to room temp before eating? Did you guys test yours after it cooled right after baking?

sayhellojana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sayhellojana Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 7:48am
post #170 of 425

let it come to room temp before you eat it. I don't think cakes are ment to be served cold, and I think most of us have been judging at room temp.

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 10:18am
post #171 of 425

Modified Cakeman Raven's Red Velvet Cake

1. Flavor: I like the flavor, it's very subtle it will make any kind of frosting stand out.
2. Texture/Crumb : This is my issue with the cake, the texture. It was quite dense, it wasn't hard but it wasn't tender either, not gummy but I just like fluffy cakes. The crumb is very tight and it sliced cleanly.
3. Moistness : It's not too moist but not dry either.
3. Ease of Recipe : Very easy, just mix the dry, mix the liquids and mix together.
4. Cost of Recipe : Affordable since it doesn't use butter.
5. Ability to convert into cupcakes : I halved the recipe and it made 12 cupcakes. Rose well but still dense, reminds me of muffins.

All in all I would give this recipe a score of 4/10. I really wouldn't make it again. The cost and ease of making it is the pros but I will struggle with creaming butter and sugar to get the fluffy cakes that I love. I will post pictures later.

Can I also write a review of the recipes I suggested?

Lita829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lita829 Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 12:19pm
post #172 of 425

Sure,Cupcakeshoppe, I don't see why not icon_smile.gif Thanks for your critique.

Oh....I agree with SayHellojana. I sampled my cakes at room temp, also.

moreCakePlz Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 1:04pm
post #173 of 425
Quote:

Sure,Cupcakeshoppe, I don't see why not icon_smile.gif Thanks for your critique.

I test at room temp also, except if it is a cupcake. I eat one of those babies hot out of the oven. It burns but it is so good that way. icon_surprised.gif

I have Sylvia's new yellow cake recipe in the oven now. Did anyone else notice a funny lumpy texture to the batter after the milk was added to the creamed butter and sugar? It almost looked like it curdled. The batter tasted okay, but I'm a little worried about it.

moreCakePlz Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 1:13pm
post #174 of 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceshell

Quote:

Quote:

Do you think any of this might have to do with the subbing of milk for lemon juice? It clearly changes the fat ratio in the recipe; however not being trained in food/baking science, I don't know if it would change it enough to matter.

Naw, no problem with the sub. If you sub out the lemon juice and add vanilla it becomes the published "Magnolia's Vanilla Birthday Cake" recipe.

No, the problem is with my oven and the gremlins that live inside it. I need a new shiny oven, one with lots of gadgets and options. No, I need a double oven so I can bake more cakes!

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 1:33pm
post #175 of 425

Hey guys, in this thread,

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-636013.html

Delie needs some help with her Sylvia cake.

Thanks

mclaren Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 2:27pm
post #176 of 425

cupcakeshoppe, just thought i'd chime in.

i've been making red velvet using one recipe i found on youtube few yrs ago. last year i came upon cakeman raven's, and found out the one i've been using is similar to his.

i remember from the youtube, the lady who was making the cake kept reminding viewers not to overmix the batter. she mentioned that we need to add the liquid a little at a time, and careful to GENTLY mix the mixture.
so i've always reminded myself to reaaaaally sloooowly mix the batter, else the cake will be densed.

my RV has always been fluffy and oh so moist even after been refrigerated (not frozen). and yes, i've made cupcakes with it many times, and so far so good.

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 5:56pm
post #177 of 425

mclaren, thanks for telling me that! I just did it the same way as directed on the website so I just dumped all the liquid in with the dry and mixed it. I did mix by hand though so I don't know if I over mixed it or not. But that could have been the culprit.

lostbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lostbaker Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 7:40pm
post #178 of 425

I made the Not So Lemon Lemon Cake from Magnolia Bakery 3 days ago, and was pretty pleased with the results -

1. Flavor: This was one aspect of the cake I was really happy with. It tastes delicious, and the lemon adds another level to it. However, nobody will be able to tell that the cake has lemon in it, unless they are told. I loved the flavour!
2. Texture/Crumb : This is is where my slight problem with the cake arises. Though everyone loved the cake, I found a SLIGHT gummy aspect to it, though being fluffy. Apart from that, it was perfectly moist, sturdy, and sliced very cleanly.
3. Moistness : The cake is a perfect balance.
3. Ease of Recipe : Usual creaming method. The lemon does add an extra step, but its totally worth it
4. Cost of Recipe : I dont bake for customers, so I have no idea what to compare this to. Sorry
5. Ability to convert into cupcakes : N/A

ETA :
http://www.flickr.com/photos/yumsiliciousbakes/3622255527/

I can't seem to add the picture for some reason, so there's a direct link. If someone can tell me how to link from flikr, I'd be grateful!

maryjsgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maryjsgirl Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 9:53pm
post #179 of 425
Quote:

Quote:

I test at room temp also, except if it is a cupcake. I eat one of those babies hot out of the oven. It burns but it is so good that way. icon_surprised.gif

I have Sylvia's new yellow cake recipe in the oven now. Did anyone else notice a funny lumpy texture to the batter after the milk was added to the creamed butter and sugar? It almost looked like it curdled. The batter tasted okay, but I'm a little worried about it.

Was the milk cold when you added it?

moreCakePlz Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 10:09pm
post #180 of 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by maryjsgirl

Quote:

Quote:

Was the milk cold when you added it?

The milk was cool, but not cold. I had everything (eggs, butter, sour cream, milk) sitting on the counter for about an hour before I started mixing.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%