The Great Scratch-Off...yellow Cakes

Decorating By Lita829 Updated 31 Jan 2018 , 3:49pm by MBalaska

Edit Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Edit Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 7:42pm
post #61 of 425

Me too, me too.
I've signed up for three that didn't have many people yet.

Great American Cakes by Barbara Kafka giraffe11
Lita's Yellow Cake Recipe LostBaker, edit,
Sylvia Weinstock's Classic Yellow Cake Recipe giraffe11, Lita829, CakeandDazzle
Ceshell's Not So Lemon Lemon Cake from Magnolia Bakery LostBaker mla Lita 829
Paula Deen's 1234 cake - maryjsgirl
Gold Cake edit
All-Purpose Buttery Yellow Cake from Americas Test Kitchen Lita829
Vanilla Buttermilk Recipe from Sky High giraffe11
White on White Buttermilk Cake giraffe11 mla
The All-Occasion Downy Yellow Cake sayhellojana , edit
Cakeman Raven's Modified Red Velvet AKA_cupcakeshoppe Lita829, maryjsgirl
K8Memphis' Golden Cake cupcakemkr
Serious_Cakes Yellow Cake AKA_cupcakeshoppe, CakeandDazzle, maryjsgirl
Toba Garett's Ultimate Yellow Cake CakeandDazzle sayhellojana, [/b]

sayhellojana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sayhellojana Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 7:51pm
post #62 of 425

I have the All-Occasion Downy Yellow Cake in the oven right now! I'll let you guys know how it turns out.

notapro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
notapro Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 8:02pm
post #63 of 425

I'm going to try Paula's 1-2-3-4 cake, serious cakes yellow cake (in the oven now), and Lita's yellow cake. I added my name below. icon_smile.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edit

Lita's Yellow Cake Recipe LostBaker,edit, notapro,
Paula Deen's 1234 cake - maryjsgirl, notapro
Gold Cake edit
All-Purpose Buttery Yellow Cake from America�s Test Kitchen Lita829
Cakeman Raven's Modified Red Velvet AKA_ cupcakeshoppe Lita829, maryjsgirl
K8Memphis' Golden Cake cupcakemkr
Serious_Cakes Yellow Cake AKA_ cupcakeshoppe, CakeandDazzle, maryjsgirl, notapro
Toba Garett's Ultimate Yellow Cake CakeandDazzle sayhellojana,

CakeandDazzle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeandDazzle Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 9:26pm
post #64 of 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKA_cupcakeshoppe

Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeandDazzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKA_cupcakeshoppe

awww no one wants to try WBH golden butter cake? it really is delicious. icon_smile.gif

Which one is it??

on the list it's called Gold Cake, that's the name of the recipe on their site
http://www.whimsicalbakehouse.com/bake/bake_detail_gold_cake.html

Oh thanks! I wanted to try that one so I hopefully will get to it but Im not saying fro sure yet!

sayhellojana Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 10:45pm
post #65 of 425

All-Occasion Downy Yellow

Judging Criteria
1. Flavor - mostly vanilla, slightly eggy
2. Texture/Crumb - very, very light. the cake crumbled a bit more than I would have liked. I found it very similar to grocery store cupcakes (not cakes) because it was a bit crumbly.
3. Moistness - I'd give it a 6 out of 10 on moistness. I would have liked it to be more moist
3. Ease of Recipe - reverse creaming method, easy peasy
4. Cost of Recipe - real butter, cake flour - $$$, but the whites aren't used in the cake and can be used in the frosting, so that is less wasteful
5. Ability to convert into cupcakes - I think this would be a better cupcake than a cake.

I halved the recipe and baked in 6'' pans. I have photos if anyone would like to see. It rose beautifully. Overall, I'd give it a 7. Good flavor, fair texture, but not quite moist enough.

Lita829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lita829 Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 11:54pm
post #66 of 425

sayhellojana,

Just wanted to clarify. Is your critique on the All-Occasion Downy Yellow Cake? If possible, can you add that to the post with your results. I know that you stated it was in the oven 2 posts before that but it might be a little easier for the tabulator to add the results at the end of this month's Scratch-Off. icon_smile.gif

Thanks a bunch. I'm just trying to make it a little easier for those, like myself, with bad eyes icon_wink.gif

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 12:11am
post #67 of 425

Whimsical Bakehouse Gold Cake edit ceshell
K8Memphis' Golden Cake cupcakemkr ceshell
Serious_Cakes Yellow Cake AKA_ cupcakeshoppe, CakeandDazzle, maryjsgirl, notapro

I see what you all mean about the similarity of the recipes! I was comparing ingredients in order to select my two, and noticed that the Great American/Kafka recipe is just a scaled version of K8's Doubleday cake, except the Doubleday cake adds a touch of lemon. The Doubleday cake is nearly identical to the Magnolia (not so) Lemon cake except it uses extract instead of juice, plus some vanilla and a tad more milk. Also nearly the same as WBH Gold but that one uses an 2 yolks in place of one of the eggs, and lots of buttermilk and vanilla, which is why I'm trying it. I'd compare more ingredients but it's giving me a headache icon_lol.gif

sayhellojana Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 12:19am
post #68 of 425

Sorry about that. I edited the post to clarify.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 12:27am
post #69 of 425

Sylvia's for Dummies (K8's easier variation of the above)___________

Doubleday White Wedding Cake (formerly known as K8Memphis' Golden Cake) cupcakemkr ceshell

Edit Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Edit Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 12:47am
post #70 of 425

Is it too late to add one more topic to the testing criterias?
I really would like to know how these cakes test on the third day? (I usually bake on Thursday, ice if possible, decorate on Friday for Saturday. The customer gets to eat it on the third day. I still want my cake to be moist on that day too. If I recall well, Rose sais about the All occasion downy cake that it is most moist on the day it is made.
What do you, guys think?

CakeandDazzle Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 12:49am
post #71 of 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edit

Is it too late to add one more topic to the testing criterias?
I really would like to know how these cakes test on the third day? (I usually bake on Thursday, ice if possible, decorate on Friday for Saturday. The customer gets to eat it on the third day. I still want my cake to be moist on that day too. If I recall well, Rose sais about the All occasion downy cake that it is most moist on the day it is made.
What do you, guys think?

Oh thats a fantastic idea!! Except I might not be able to add to that 1... lol im taking all 3 cakes to a playdate tomorrow with a tone of moms!! lol but i will try!

sayhellojana Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 1:06am
post #72 of 425

I'll be sure to let you know how the Downy yellow is in 3 days. It's a small cake, but not too many people stop by. lol. I paired it with some strawberry filling I had on hand and IMBC. Overall a good cake.

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 3:52am
post #73 of 425

sayhellojana, if you have time could you post a picture of the cake and the crumb? Thanks icon_smile.gif

CakeandDazzle Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 4:07am
post #74 of 425

Well my 3 cakes are baked (serious, Toba, & Weinstock) The test & pictures will come tomorrow! Cant wait!

KitchenKat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KitchenKat Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 4:52am
post #75 of 425

Sylvia Weinstock's Classic Yellow Cake Recipe giraffe11, Lita829, CakeandDazzle , TheCasualKitchen

Ceshell's Not So Lemon Lemon Cake from Magnolia Bakery LostBaker mla Lita 829 ,

All-Purpose Buttery Yellow Cake from America�s Test Kitchen Lita829 , TheCasualKitchen

Vanilla Buttermilk Recipe from Sky High giraffe11 , TheCasualKitchen

The All-Occasion Downy Yellow Cake sayhellojana , TheCasualKitchen

Doubleday White Wedding Cake (formerly known as K8Memphis' Golden Cake) cupcakemkr ceshell

Serious_Cakes Yellow Cake AKA_ cupcakeshoppe, CakeandDazzle, maryjsgirl, notapro , TheCasualKitchen

maryjsgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maryjsgirl Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 3:41pm
post #76 of 425

Paula Deen's 1234 Cake

The recipe-this recipe was super simple. A plus side is that you use self-rising flour so that takes away the steps of measuring salt and leavening. I halved this recipe and followed all direction except baking it at 325 instead of 350. I also sat all my ingredients out a couple of hours before so they could come to room temperature.

The look-the cake caved a little bit when I tested the top of the cake for doneness. It had already baked for 30 minutes and was almost finished, so I am not sure why.

The texture-I am very underwhelmed with the texture. Not tender at all and there is actually a coarseness to it at first bite, until it melds with your saliva. I did my moist test in which I grab a small piece and squeeze it in my hand. If it sticks together into a mush...it is moist. It failed that test.

The taste-the taste was okay, but nothing special.

Cons-It is not tender or moist enough for me. After it baked for 30 minutes I felt the top to see if it was done. This caused the cake to sink slightly. I think that cake flour is definitely needed for this recipe. When box mix people accuse scratch cakes of being like cornbread I think recipes like these are the culprit.

Pros-It is an easy recipe. It isn't as sweet as other recipes I've tried.

KitchenKat Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 4:04pm
post #77 of 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by maryjsgirl

Paula Deen's 1234 Cake

The recipe-this recipe was super simple. A plus side is that you use self-rising flour so that takes away the steps of measuring salt and leavening. I halved this recipe and followed all direction except baking it at 325 instead of 350. I also sat all my ingredients out a couple of hours before so they could come to room temperature.

The look-the cake caved a little bit when I tested the top of the cake for doneness. It had already baked for 30 minutes and was almost finished, so I am not sure why.

The texture-I am very underwhelmed with the texture. Not tender at all and there is actually a coarseness to it at first bite, until it melds with your saliva. I did my moist test in which I grab a small piece and squeeze it in my hand. If it sticks together into a mush...it is moist. It failed that test.

The taste-the taste was okay, but nothing special.

Cons-It is not tender or moist enough for me. After it baked for 30 minutes I felt the top to see if it was done. This caused the cake to sink slightly. I think that cake flour is definitely needed for this recipe. When box mix people accuse scratch cakes of being like cornbread I think recipes like these are the culprit.

Pros-It is an easy recipe. It isn't as sweet as other recipes I've tried.

Thanks for posting this!

Looking at the recipe I kinda expected it to turn out like the way you described. I thought the balance of the ingredients was off - too much eggs, too little liquid and too little flavoring. The structure builders was balanced by the extra sugar but that woudl've just made the cake too sweet. Also I don't like using self rising flour cos I find cakes made with it too dry. Hard to get a good balance of leavening relative to the other ingredients.

On to the next? hi hi hi

sayhellojana Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 4:08pm
post #78 of 425

marjsgirl - I completely agree. I've made her 1234 cake several times last fall. To me, it's kind of a "my first scratch cake" type of recipe. It's an introduction, but it's not the best around, you know?

Update on Downy Yellow - this would be day 3. It is completely dry and honestly, I'm tossing the rest. I kept it in a cake carrier and my cakes never dry out that way, I'm really suprised. I only had about 3 slices, and although the vanilla is prominent, it just tastes very eggy to me. I'm disappointed.

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 7:28pm
post #79 of 425

maryjsgirl, when I made that recipe I used cake flour and added baking powder and salt and it was so good. When I first made it I just used AP and I was underwhelmed.

Lita829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lita829 Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 1:31am
post #80 of 425

My four cakes are done. It's a little late to eat that much cake so I'll post my results tomorrow.

Ya'll have a good night icon_smile.gif

KitchenKat Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 2:14am
post #81 of 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by sayhellojana

Update on Downy Yellow - this would be day 3. It is completely dry and honestly, I'm tossing the rest. I kept it in a cake carrier and my cakes never dry out that way, I'm really suprised. I only had about 3 slices, and although the vanilla is prominent, it just tastes very eggy to me. I'm disappointed.

Hmmm... I've never had that problem with this cake. It remains so moist even days after baking. It's even more moist after frosting cos the BC (I usually use and all butter IMBC) sort of seeps into the cake, flavoring and moistening the layers. I bake it till the top still maintains an shallow indentation when i press it with my finger and a toothpick comes out still moist. Sides should not have pulled away from the pan. If it does, the cake has been overbaked. (not saying you overbaked it, just sharing my experience with this cake).

For wedding cakes I brush syrup on the torted layers.

I'm currently baking cake man Raven's and the Sky-HIgh Vanilla Buttermilk cake. Can't wait for the results!

vicki3336 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vicki3336 Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 5:41am
post #82 of 425

Sylvia Weinstock's Classic Yellow Cake Recipe giraffe11, Lita829, CakeandDazzle , TheCasualKitchen

Whimsical Bakehouse Gold Cake edit ceshell.. vicki3336

All-Purpose Buttery Yellow Cake from America�s Test Kitchen Lita829 , TheCasualKitchen

Cakeman Raven's Modified Red Velvet AKA_ cupcakeshoppe Lita829, maryjsgirl, vicki3336

Serious_Cakes Yellow Cake AKA_ cupcakeshoppe, CakeandDazzle, maryjsgirl, notapro , TheCasualKitchen, vicki3336

sayhellojana Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 6:10am
post #83 of 425

Casual Kitchen - That is so weird. My cake's didn't pull from the sides of the pan, and certainly didn't look overbaked, so I doubt that was it. I doublechecked the recipe and I didn't leave anything out. Maybe it's the size of the egg yolks? I used large eggs, but the yolks didn't look very big to me. I guess this just shows how recipes are different for everyone?

JenLGAJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenLGAJ Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 11:06am
post #84 of 425

I'm jumping in too... love this idea!

I'm going to make Cakemans Modified Red Velvet and Sylvia Weinstocks... will probably try another few recipes if time allows.
I made Sylvia Weinstocks yesterday (with new techniques to not overbake - what a difference!)... love it... waiting for day 3 to review!

kkitchen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kkitchen Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 12:07pm
post #85 of 425

Ok, I do not see my name icon_sad.gif
I will try the yellow buttermilk cake and Sylvia Weinstock's

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 1:24pm
post #86 of 425

Is Downy Yellow a Rose cake? This is a typical response to her formulas. If one person walks the tightrope with it it comes out fine. Ex. you gotta catch it just right on the bake time. Other folks can't ever get to the tight rope. And I know HL is a seasoned scratch baker in good company with many pros concerning DY cake.

I've never made this cake--I'm just making an observation.

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 2:07pm
post #87 of 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by JenLGAJ

I'm jumping in too... love this idea!

I'm going to make Cakemans Modified Red Velvet and Sylvia Weinstocks... will probably try another few recipes if time allows.
I made Sylvia Weinstocks yesterday (with new techniques to not overbake - what a difference!)... love it... waiting for day 3 to review!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrinaR

Ok, I do not see my name
I will try the yellow buttermilk cake and Sylvia Weinstock's

Please copy and paste this and then type your name next to the cake you're doing. do not delete the other names. this is how we keep the list current. HTH

Quote:
Quote:

Cakeman Raven's Modified Red Velvet AKA_ cupcakeshoppe Lita829, maryjsgirl, vicki3336

Serious_Cakes Yellow Cake AKA_ cupcakeshoppe, CakeandDazzle, maryjsgirl, notapro , TheCasualKitchen, vicki3336

kkitchen Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 2:12pm
post #88 of 425

Sylvia Weinstock's Classic Yellow Cake Recipe giraffe11, Lita829, CakeandDazzle , TheCasualKitchen, TrinaR

Vanilla Buttermilk Recipe from Sky High giraffe11 , TheCasualKitchen, TrinaR

kkitchen Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 2:14pm
post #89 of 425

Jana, I do not know why you got a bad outcome for the recipe, did you weigh or measure? I normally weigh all the ingredients and I get excellent results.
Try it using the weights.

JenLGAJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenLGAJ Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 2:18pm
post #90 of 425

Sylvia Weinstock's Classic Yellow Cake Recipe giraffe11, Lita829, CakeandDazzle , TheCasualKitchen, TrinaR, JenLGAJ

Vanilla Buttermilk Recipe from Sky High giraffe11 , TheCasualKitchen, TrinaR

Cakeman Raven's Modified Red Velvet AKA_ cupcakeshoppe Lita829, maryjsgirl, vicki3336, JenLGAJ

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%