The Great Scratch-Off...yellow Cakes

Decorating By Lita829 Updated 31 Jan 2018 , 3:49pm by MBalaska

mla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mla Posted 28 Jun 2009 , 12:43am
post #331 of 425

Hi everyone! Thanks for all the great info so far. I signed up to do RR's White on White Buttermilk Cake and Ceshell's Not so Lemon Lemon Cake from Magnolia Bakery.

Haven't had a chance to make Magnolia's Cake yet (can't find self-rising flour anywhere....I'm sure Whole Foods will have it, I just have to get there! I have never made my own self-rising flour....anyone know if it will turn out if I just add baking powder and salt to all-purpose flour?

Here are my impressions of the WOW Buttermilk Cake:

1. Flavor:
I LOVED the flavor of this cake! Just the right amount of vanilla and butter flavor. My husband who does not normally care for yellow or white cake said "This is a good cake!" My 7 year-old who normally ONLY eats the icing, ate every crumb and asked for a second piece. We won't count my 4 year-old's reaction (he ate every crumb and demanded a second piece), because he is a cake junkie like his mom and there is no such thing as BAD cake in his world!

2. Texture/Crumb:
Ok...I made this cake in 2-9" rounds, instead of 3. I loved the texture. It somehow seemed dense (which is what I prefer), yet very tender. My husband said it reminded him of poundcake, but definitely not as heavy.

3. Moistness:
Just right...not dry at all.....even on the 4th day, it was still moist and delicious.

4. Ease of recipe:
Easy, nothing unusual. I was happy that I didn't have to whip the egg whites separately.

5. Cost:
It does call for 1 1/2 cups of butter, but if you usually use butter, I think it is average.

6. Ability to convert to cupcakes:
Can't comment as I didn't try cupcakes, but I will definitely try it in the future.

Have to say I loved this cake. I give it a rating of 9 out of 10. I have been using a Martha Stewart Yellow Butter Cake recipe, but found the flavor and texture of this cake to be much better. I will definitely be making this again! thumbs_up.gif

artscallion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artscallion Posted 28 Jun 2009 , 1:07am
post #332 of 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkelly

So to those of you having problems with the new recipe, do you measure and then sift or sift and then measure?

I really need to pay more attention to recipes don't I? But, in this case it worked out for me. icon_wink.gif

The first times I weighed...can't remember if I sifted before or after. But since I weighed it doesn't matter. Then, after our discussion about weighing vs scooping, I decided to scoop. I sifted it first, then scooped, as the directions state.

Can you do me a huge favor, dkelly? The next time you make it, can you weigh the flour after you've scooped it to see, in weight, exactly how much you're using. God help me, but I've got a bug in my ear with this cake!

KitchenKat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KitchenKat Posted 28 Jun 2009 , 2:59am
post #333 of 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by artscallion

Quote:

So to those of you having problems with the new recipe, do you measure and then sift or sift and then measure?

I really need to pay more attention to recipes don't I? But, in this case it worked out for me. icon_wink.gif

The first times I weighed...can't remember if I sifted before or after. But since I weighed it doesn't matter. Then, after our discussion about weighing vs scooping, I decided to scoop. I sifted it first, then scooped, as the directions state.

Can you do me a huge favor, dkelly? The next time you make it, can you weigh the flour after you've scooped it to see, in weight, exactly how much you're using. God help me, but I've got a bug in my ear with this cake!

The bug is in my ear too! I made this cake twice now, the first time with sifted cake flour (225 grams), the 2nd with measured and then sifted (256 grams). Both times the cakes tasted awesome but shrank a lot. The bottoms were very moist to the point of cohesion - looked like cheesecake. Was still able to use it and still got rave reviews.

I wonder if I should let it cook some more. Currently taking it out of oven when top is springy, toothpick dry and sides haven't pulled away from pan. Hmmm... sounds like at that point it should be a perfectly baked cake! But maybe I should wait till top is browner and sides have pulled away from the pan a bit?

cakesweetiecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesweetiecake Posted 28 Jun 2009 , 11:36am
post #334 of 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCasualKitchen

Quote:
Originally Posted by artscallion

Quote:

The bug is in my ear too! I made this cake twice now, the first time with sifted cake flour (225 grams), the 2nd with measured and then sifted (256 grams). Both times the cakes tasted awesome but shrank a lot. The bottoms were very moist to the point of cohesion - looked like cheesecake. Was still able to use it and still got rave reviews.

I wonder if I should let it cook some more. Currently taking it out of oven when top is springy, toothpick dry and sides haven't pulled away from pan. Hmmm... sounds like at that point it should be a perfectly baked cake! But maybe I should wait till top is browner and sides have pulled away from the pan a bit?

I'm curious about this, too. When I made it, I weighed and then sifted. After reading this thread more in detail, I wondered if I should've sifted the cake flour and then weighed it.

I experienced the same results that you have reported.

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 28 Jun 2009 , 11:48am
post #335 of 425

Sure artscallion, I'll weigh the flour next time. I'll be making another batch for a Friday (July 3) order, so I'll let you know.

I wonder if you guys tried lowering the oven temp to 325 -330 and lower the oven rack a notch if that would help with the "gummy bottom".......do you all use bake even strips?

Sometimes I do and sometimes I don't it depends if I remember to soak them and put them on the pan..........also depends on how much of a hurry I'm in.

My layers do shrink back some, probably 1/4", but I seem to get some shrinkage with every white/yellow cake recipe. Do you notice that? My chocolate cakes never shrink........hmmmm interesting.

I tried the WOW buttermilk cake this week. I liked it, but my kids and husband thought it was a little dry compared to SW cake. I didn't sign up so I won't go into a huge review. I only used 2 pans instead of the recommended 3 (I'm not sure how 3 would work, it doesn't seem like enough batter for 3 pans)

cakesweetiecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesweetiecake Posted 28 Jun 2009 , 4:09pm
post #336 of 425
Quote:

Sure artscallion, I'll weigh the flour next time. I'll be making another batch for a Friday (July 3) order, so I'll let you know.

I wonder if you guys tried lowering the oven temp to 325 -330 and lower the oven rack a notch if that would help with the "gummy bottom".......do you all use bake even strips?

I always bake on 325. No, I never use bake even strips. I used to years ago, but I dont care for them.

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 2:49am
post #337 of 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakesweetiecake

I'm curious about this, too. When I made it, I weighed and then sifted. After reading this thread more in detail, I wondered if I should've sifted the cake flour and then weighed it.

If you are weighing, I don't think it makes any difference. When you are scooping, you are measuring by volume so the volume is changed by sifting. However: the weight is the same whether the flour has been sifted before or afterwards.

thumbs_up.gif

vicki3336 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vicki3336 Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 5:58am
post #338 of 425

Hi all! I can't tell you how glad I am this got started. I have been wanting to try scratch baking (I've only baked carrot cake from scratch in the past) and this was the nudge I needed to get started. I signed up to make three cakes, but due to an illness in the family, I had to go out of town and only baked two cakes just last night...the WBH gold cake and the new Sylvia Weinstock yellow cake.

Sylvia Weinstock's Yellow Cake (new version): I was so excited to try this cake since I had read so many great things about it, but perhaps should have chosen an easier one for my first cake. I don't know what I did wrong, but it just didn't come out right. I shrank A LOT and tasted kind of eggy? My 12 year old described it as "weird". I am not rating this as I am sure it was something I did wrong...I suspect it has something to do with either the consistency of the egg whites or the manner in which I folded them.

WBH Gold Cake:

1. Flavor: Tasted wonderfully buttery. I would be happy just eating the cake (and if you knew how much I love icing, you'd know what a big statement that is). My family LOVED it.

2. Texture/Crumb: I'm not exactly sure what you mean by crumb, but the texture was soft, but not spongy, but not too dense. Maybe tender is the word...almost velvety?

3. Moistness: Very moist (but not sticky) after cooling last night and still this morning. There was none left (I have boys 12, 14 and 20 at home) after lunch, so I can't comment on how well it retained its moisture.

4. Ease of recipe: If I can make it...anyone can make it. No kidding. Nothing fussy about it.

5. Cost: Average....though I don't normally keep cake flour or buttermilk on hand, but may consider doing so now.

6. Ability to convert to cupcakes: I did make a few cupcakes and they baked up very nicely, were moist and were gone before they were completely cooled or even iced. I don't know if a dome or flat is preferable in a cupcake, but mine were flat.

Overall, I'd give it a 9....I'll be making this again.

(edited to add rating)

vicki3336 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vicki3336 Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 5:59am
post #339 of 425

duplicate post

ahuvas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ahuvas Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 6:13am
post #340 of 425

Hi All. I made Ceshell's Not So Lemon Lemon Cake from Magnolia Bakery. I am not sure that I am going to rate it because I think I did something wrong. The cake was heavy with large crumbs and really not what I was expecting at all.

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 8:09pm
post #341 of 425

vicki3336, am so glad you tried that recipe since I submitted. I had the same results as you did. It was just oh-so-good and buttery. Very good crumb and I practically inhaled the cupcakes I made and it was devoured almost immediately at the party I made it for. Thanks for posting your results. icon_smile.gif

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 8:10pm
post #342 of 425

vicki3336, am so glad you tried that recipe since I submitted. I had the same results as you did. It was just oh-so-good and buttery. Very good crumb and I practically inhaled the cupcakes I made and it was devoured almost immediately at the party I made it for. Thanks for posting your results. icon_smile.gif

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 8:11pm
post #343 of 425

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 8:12pm
post #344 of 425

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 8:13pm
post #345 of 425

giraffe11 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
giraffe11 Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 8:56pm
post #346 of 425

I will report on my last 2 cakes tonight.
I am going to try WBH gold cake soon, as I love their other cakes and the reviews so far have been good.
I did my WOW buttermilk by Rebecca Rather review a few pages back. I just wanted to add that I made it again for a party this weekend (top tier of the cake in my avatar, actually) , filled it with chocolate ganache and iced in WBH house buttercream. Interestingly enough, it was much sturdier this time. The only change I made was to let it cool much longer before cutting it. I'm still not sure you could carve it easily, but it was plenty strong enough.
The taste was still fabu and it was gone almost by the time I cut the first slice. SO GOOD! My two-year-old says ...."mmmmmmmmmm". thumbs_up.gif

giraffe11 Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 8:57pm
post #347 of 425

why all of these extra posts?

giraffe11 Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 8:58pm
post #348 of 425

It won't let us delete them......

giraffe11 Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 8:59pm
post #349 of 425

duplicate

giraffe11 Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 9:00pm
post #350 of 425

duplicate

mla Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 4:35am
post #351 of 425

Hello everyone. Here is my review of "Ceshell's not so Lemon Lemon Cake from Magnolia Bakery":

I halved the recipe and used a 9" round pan. My cake sank (quite a bit icon_surprised.gif ) while still in the oven. I have baked many scratch cakes and I've only ever had a cake sink once (and it was while cooling and only slightly). However, it was obviously something I did or didn't do, because I think others have had success with this recipe icon_confused.gif

1. Flavor: Nice buttery flavor. I could definitely detect the lemon...it was subtle, but I could taste it.

2. Texture/Crumb: I was not crazy about the texture at all, however it may have been the flour I used. I picked up Gold Medal "Self-Rising" flour at the grocery store (I don't usually use this kind) and when I was in the middle of preparing the cake I realized the recipe calls for "Cake flour (self-rising)". I'm thinking the flour I used was an all-purpose, maybe? My cake had a very coarse crumb which I would expect from all-purpose flour. It also seemed to have almost a slightly "greasy" feel.

3. Moistness: Good...not dry.

4. Ease of recipe: Easy...just slightly more time consuming having to juice and zest the lemons.

5. Cost: Average

6. Ability to convert to cupcakes: did not try

So, based on my results, I would rate this cake a 6 out of 10.
I did think the buttery and subtle lemon flavor would be nice paired with strawberries and cream. So perhaps if I try a different type of flour I will enjoy the texture more.

mla Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 4:36am
post #352 of 425

Hello everyone. Here is my review of "Ceshell's not so Lemon Lemon Cake from Magnolia Bakery":

I halved the recipe and used a 9" round pan. My cake sank (quite a bit icon_surprised.gif ) while still in the oven. I have baked many scratch cakes and I've only ever had a cake sink once (and it was while cooling and only slightly). However, it was obviously something I did or didn't do, because I think others have had success with this recipe icon_confused.gif

1. Flavor: Nice buttery flavor. I could definitely detect the lemon...it was subtle, but I could taste it.

2. Texture/Crumb: I was not crazy about the texture at all, however it may have been the flour I used. I picked up Gold Medal "Self-Rising" flour at the grocery store (I don't usually use this kind) and when I was in the middle of preparing the cake I realized the recipe calls for "Cake flour (self-rising)". I'm thinking the flour I used was an all-purpose, maybe? My cake had a very coarse crumb which I would expect from all-purpose flour. It also seemed to have almost a slightly "greasy" feel.

4. Ease of recipe: Easy...just slightly more time consuming having to juice and zest the lemons.

I did think the buttery and subtle lemon flavor would be nice paired with strawberries and cream. So perhaps if I try a different type of flour I will enjoy the texture more.

mla Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 4:37am
post #353 of 425

mla Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 4:38am
post #354 of 425

ceshell Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 4:44am
post #355 of 425

I'm posting this amongst the threads I've been on recently...but:

If you want to stop CC from making your post 10x in a row, since there is obviously a glitch on the entire site right now, then: as SOON as you hit SUBMIT, close your browser window. I know it's a PITA but it's better than seeing your post over and over and over. This trick has worked for me at least 4 times now! thumbs_up.gif

ceshell Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 4:46am
post #356 of 425

mla, I definitely think the fact that you did not use cake flour has affected your results.

FWIW I cannot find self-rising cake flour either, so I just use the conversion (i.e. add baking soda...or is it powder?...and salt "x" amount per cup of flour). I should have mentioned that when I first posted the recipe icon_redface.gif

mla Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 5:21am
post #357 of 425

Thanks Ceshell...I'll give that a try next time.

Btw, I tried the WOW cake based on your positive comments and it was FABULOUS...my new favorite...so, thanks for that too!

mla Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 5:22am
post #358 of 425

Btw, I tried the WOW cake based on your positive comments and it was FABULOUS...my new favorite...so, thanks for that too!

mla Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 5:23am
post #359 of 425

ceshell Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 5:32am
post #360 of 425

We should actually be thanking snarkybaker for that WoW recipe; I baked it for the first time based on her recommendation thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%