The Great Scratch-Off...yellow Cakes

Decorating By Lita829 Updated 31 Jan 2018 , 3:49pm by MBalaska

giraffe11 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
giraffe11 Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 11:59am
post #31 of 425

[quote="AKA_cupcakeshoppe"]yeah some of the recipes are almost alike. i do know that the mermaid bakery and paula deen's are similar. i have tried the sky high cake which is basically one bowl it was good but turned out very dense. so am gonna try recipes that i haven't tried before.

Yes.......in fact the recipe Bakerella posts on her blog as a go to Moist Yellow Cake is an exact duplicate of the Paula Deen 1-2-3-4........word-for-word and measure-for-measure.
That just means a good recipe gets around..... icon_lol.gif

giraffe11 Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 12:02pm
post #32 of 425

Bonniebakes......I don't think you need to have pre-registered. It's just nice to have an idea of who is baking what. And it doesn't matter if you can only do one. I am doing several, so I'll pick up your slack icon_lol.gif
Welcome!

notapro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
notapro Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 12:11pm
post #33 of 425

I've been following the thread also. I plan to participate and post my results also. I haven't decided which recipes to try yet though. icon_smile.gif

Lita829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lita829 Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 12:17pm
post #34 of 425

Giraffe11, I will try to edit the intial recipe list. I am not that internet savy and I'm still trying to navigate this website icon_redface.gif . Does anyone know how to edit a post?

Please help.

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 12:27pm
post #35 of 425

you only have about 4 hours after posting to edit a post. icon_sad.gif

Lita829 Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 12:35pm
post #36 of 425

Oh...I see. I won't be able to edit the recipe post because I posted it around 1am EST.

I'm sorry for the confusion icon_redface.gif

Justbeck101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Justbeck101 Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 1:36pm
post #37 of 425

Okay, So I want to join this Scratch off! I am terrible at most scratch cakes. I have a couple I do, but the rest are doctored. I really want to go to scratch only.

So I guess I just choose a couple of the listed recipes and then post my results?

lostbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lostbaker Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 1:42pm
post #38 of 425

The final recipe list :

Here is a list of the Yellow-Cake entries. Some will be written out and others will be provided as links:

Naty submitted:

Great American Cakes
by Barbara Kafka

Gourmet December 1987

Yellow Cake Layers
This is probably America's favorite layer for any kind of cake; it is what the cake-mix people try to imitate and never get right.

Makes two 8-inch layers

2 1/4 cups sifted cake flour
2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon coarse kosher salt
1 1/2 sticks (3/4 cup) unsalted butter, softened
1 1/2 cups sugar
3 large eggs at room temperature
3/4 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Into a bowl sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt.

In a large bowl with an electric mixer cream the butter, add sugar gradually, beating, and beat the mixture until light and fluffy. Add the eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Stir in the flour mixture and the milk alternately in batches, beginning and ending with dry ingredients, add the vanilla, and beat the batter until it is smooth.

Divide the batter between 2 lightly greased and floured 8x1 1/2-inch round cake pans, smoothing the top, rap each pan on a hard surface twice to expel any air bubbles.

Bake the layers in the middle of a preheated 350-degree F oven for 25 to 35 minutes, or until a tester inserted in center comes out clean and the layers pull away slightly from the sides of the pans. Let the layers cool in the pans on a rack for 8 minutes, run a thin knife around the edge of each pan, and invert the layers onto the racks. Let the layers cool completely.

Lita829 submitted:

Here is my Yellow Cake Recipe:

2 1/4 C flour
1 Tbsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
3/4 C butter (1 1/2 sticks)
1 3/4 C sugar
3 lg eggs
1 Tbsp vanilla
1 C whole milk

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Prepare 2-8 or 9" pans. Sift dry ingredients and set aside. Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each. Add vanilla and mix. Add dry ingredients, alternating with the milk, mixing well after each addition...beginning and ending with the dry. Bake layers 30-40 min.

AND

Here is Sylvia Weinstock's Classic Yellow Cake Recipe:

2 1/4 C sifted Cake Flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
2 sticks of butter
2 C granulated sugar
4 Lg egg yolks
2 tsp vanilla
1C sour cream
4 Lg egg whites

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Prepare and line 2-8X3" or one 12X3 inch pan with parchment.

Sift togather dry ingredients and set aside. Cream butter until light and fluffy, about 2 min. Add sugar and continue to combine until fluffy and light. Add yolks, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add vanilla.

Reduce speed to low and add dry ingredients, alternating with the sour cream, beginning and ending with the dry. Scrape down sides of bowl and beat for 1 min.

In a separate bowl, beat egg whites to soft peaks form. Gently fold egg whites into batter with rubber spatula.

Bake 8" layers 45-50 min and the 12" pan 60 min or until golden brown.

Ceshell's Not So Lemon Lemon Cake from Magnolia Bakery
1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
2 cups sugar
4 large eggs
3 cups cake flour (self-raising)
3/4 cup milk
1/4 cup lemon juice
2 tsp grated lemon zest

Prepare 3 x 9in round 2in deep pans (line with parchment)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees
Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy (about 3 mins). Add eggs one at a time combining well after each addition. Add flour alternately with the milk and lemon juice in four parts mixing well after each addition. Divide the batter equally between the 3 pans and bake for 25 mins (check after 20) until a cake tester comes out clean when inserted in the centre and the cake springs back when lightly touched. Cool in pans for 10 mins and then turn out onto racks to cool completely. Fill and frost as desired. Serves 12-16 wedges.

AKA_CupcakeShoppe submitted:

Paula Deen's 1234 cake
Basic 1-2-3-4 Cake:

http://recipes.pauladeen.com/index.php/recipes/view/basic_1_2_3_4_cake/

AND

Gold Cake
http://www.whimsicalbakehouse.com/bake/bake_detail_gold_cake.html

LostBaker submitted:

The recipe I quite like :
All-Purpose Buttery Yellow Cake
The Americas Test Kitchen Family Cookbook Copyright 2006

2 ¼ cups cake flour
2 ½ teaspoons baking powder
¾ teaspoon salt
226 g unsalted butter, softened [needs less, try 205]
1 ¾ cups sugar [1 ½ c]
4 large eggs, at room temperature
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1 ½ cups whole milk, at room temperature

1. Adjust an oven rack to the middle position and heat the oven to 340 degrees. Lightly coat two 8- or 9-inch round cake pans or 1 9x13-inch cake pan with vegetable oil spray, then line the bottoms with parchment paper. Whisk the flour, baking powder, and salt together in a large bowl and set aside.*
2. Beat the butter and sugar together in a large bowl with an electric mixer on medium speed until light and fluffy, 3 to 6 minutes. Beat in the eggs, one at a time, until incorporated, scraping down the bowl and beaters as needed. Beat in the vanilla.
3. Reduce the speed to low and beat in one-third of the flour mixture. Beat in half of the milk. Repeat with half of the remaining flour mixture, then the remaining milk, and finally the remaining flour mixture.
4. Give the batter a final stir using a rubber spatula to make sure it is thoroughly combined. Pour the batter into the prepared pan(s) and smooth the top. Bake until a wooden skewer inserted into the center of the cake(s) comes out with a few crumbs attached, 20 to 25 minutes for the sheet cake, rotating the pan(s) halfway through baking.
5. Let the cake(s) cool in the pan(s) on wire racks for 10 minutes. Run a paring knife around the edge of the cake(s) to loosen, then flip out onto the racks. Flip the cake(s) upright, discard the parchment, and let cool completely before frosting 1 to 2 hours.

AND

Vanilla Buttermilk Recipe from Sky High

Makes one three-layer 9-inch round cake [can be reduced of course]
3 3/4 cups cake flour
2 1/2 cups sugar
1 tablespoon plus 2 3/4 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 1/2 sticks (10 ounces) [283 g] unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 1/4 cups plus 1/3 cup buttermilk
5 whole eggs
2 egg yolks
2 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1. Preheat the oven to 325°F. Butter three 9-inch round cake pans. Line the bottom of each pan with a round of parchment or waxed paper and butter the paper.
2. Combine the cake flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt in a large mixer bowl. With the mixer on low speed, blend for 30 seconds. Add the butter and 1 1/4 cup of the buttermilk. Mix on low speed briefly to blend; then raise the speed to medium and beat until light and fluffy, 2 to 3 minutes.
3. In a smaller bowl, whisk together the whole eggs, egg yolks, vanilla, and the remaining 1/3 cup buttermilk until well blended. Pour one-third of the egg mixture into the cake batter at a time, folding it in completely after each addition. There will be 9 cups of batter; our 3 cups batter into each pan.
4. Bake for 26 to 28 minutes, or until a cake tester or wooden toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
5. Turn the layers out onto wire racks by placing a rack on top of a pan, inverting it, and lifting off the pan. Peel off the paper liners and let cool completely. When the layers have cooled, place a cardboard cake board on top of a layer, invert again, and lift off the rack. To make the layers easier to handle, wrap them on their boards completely in plastic, so they dont dry out, and refrigerate them.

Maryjsgirl submitted:

White on White Buttermilk Cake
http://www.bakespace.com/recipes/detail/White-on-White-Buttermilk-Cake-with-Jack-Daniels-Buttercream/7175/

TheCasualKitchen submitted:

The All-Occasion Downy Yellow Cake
http://recipes.chef2chef.net/recipe-archive/55/290990.shtml

Tiffraine submitted:

Cakeman Raven's Red Velvet I modified into a yellow and lighter cake:

Yellow Cake
Preheat oven to 350
2 1/2 cups cake flour
1 teaspoon table salt
Make sure to use both:
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 1/2 c sugar
2 large eggs
1 cup buttermilk (well shaken)
1 1/2 c. good quality canola or veg. oil
1 teaspoon vinegar
1 teaspoon vanilla
Mix the above together well for a couple minutes. Pour in greased and floured pans and bake until toothpick comes out clean..

Hope you all can try it. For extra cake tenderness, line the pans with parchment(not wax) paper.

Here is a link to the original recipe if you are unsure how to mix:

Cakeman Raven(famous NY baker/decorator)
Red Velvet:

http://www.cakemanraven.com/recipe.htm

K8Memphis submitted:

Golden Cake

6 cups sifted all purpose flour
2 tablespoons baking powder
2 teaspoons salt
2 cups milk at room temperature
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 # butter or margarine or 1 1/3 cups margarine with 2/3 cups vegetable shortening
(the margarine is not vegetable spread)
4 cups sugar
8 eggs at room temperature
2 teaspoons lemon extract
2 tablespoons finely grated lemon rind (optional)

Preheat oven to 325. Sift flour with baking powder and salt and set aside. Combine milk and vanilla and set aside. Cream butter until light, add sugar gradually, continue to cream until fluffy. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Mix in lemon extract (and rind). Add dry ingredients alternately with milk beginning and ending with the dry and adding about one sixth of the total at a time. Beat just until smooth. Spoon into 1 ungreased 13" and 1 ungreased 7" pan lined on the bottom with wax or parchment paper filling no more than half full - this is a high-rising batter. Bake larger layer 60-65 mins until it pulls from the sides of the pan and is springy to the touch. Cool upright in pan on wire rack 10 mins then loosen and invert on rack peel off paper turn right side up and cool thoroughly. If you make 3 batches you get two 13", two 7" and two 10 " layers. Make cupcakes with any leftover batter.
This is from The New Doubleday Cookbook 1975.
Real good cake. And this recipe is not real fussy - can be halved. Excellent.

Serious Cakes' Yellow Cake

Ingredients:
2 3/4 c. all purpose flour
3 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
1 c. shortening
2 c. sugar
4 large eggs
2 tsp. vanilla
1 3/4 c. milk

I have tried this with part butter and part shortening and didn't like it very much, it turned out very greasy, I believe because butter has a lower melting point. This recipe can be halved or doubled with the same results and also used to make cupcakes (bake for about 15-20 mins).
You can also swap out the vanilla extract for other flavorings or add some orange or lemon zest.
This recipe will make two tall 8" round layers, two shorter 8" square or 9" round layers, or one short 9x13 layer.

Toba Garett's Moist Yellow Cake
http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/MOIST-YELLOW-CAKE-109358

Lita829 Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 1:51pm
post #39 of 425

Thanks, LostBaker for completing the list.

Now we can get to baking icon_biggrin.gif

lostbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lostbaker Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 1:56pm
post #40 of 425

The list, to be updated as people post their choices :

Great American Cakes by Barbara Kafka giraffe11
Lita's Yellow Cake Recipe LostBaker
Sylvia Weinstock's Classic Yellow Cake Recipe giraffe11
Ceshell's Not So Lemon Lemon Cake from Magnolia Bakery LostBaker mla
Paula Deen's 1234 cake
Gold Cake
All-Purpose Buttery Yellow Cake from Americas Test Kitchen
Vanilla Buttermilk Recipe from Sky High giraffe11
White on White Buttermilk Cake giraffe11 mla
Cakeman Raven's Modified Red Velvet
K8Memphis' Golden Cake
Serious_Cakes Yellow Cake
Toba Garett's Ultimate Yellow Cake

giraffe11 Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 2:01pm
post #41 of 425

Thanks so much LIta and Lostbaker!!!!! We look like we are organized (finally, ha ha) and ready to go. I am baking tonight.....more orange cakes. Then cookies the rest of this week. Will start on the bakeoff next week.
Heather

mla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mla Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 2:16pm
post #42 of 425

Hi everyone. I'm in. Thanks so much to the organizers...looking forward to it!

I will make:

Ceshell's Not So Lemon Lemon Cake from Magnolia Bakery and
White on White Buttermilk Cake

Marsha

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 2:32pm
post #43 of 425

Wait wait wait--maybe we should call 'mine' Doubledays' White Wedding Cake page 802--(but it comes out golden color) 'cause it really totally ain't 'mine'.

And while we're at it--I'd love for whosoever to try my variation on Sylvia's cake because it is so easy and so close to the white cake I've always wanted to make. Mine is done without whipping the egg whites as it's written.

My variation is written out here in this thread. It's killer!

We could call it Sylvia's Yellow For Dummies (egg white folding dummies) icon_biggrin.gif (but it comes out white)

'K?

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 2:45pm
post #44 of 425

I have a suggestion. when you post about what recipe you wanna do, copy the previous recipe list with other peopls' names on it and then add your name so that the list will be current. like so

Paula Deen's 1234 cake
Gold Cake
Cakeman Raven's Modified Red Velvet AKA_cupcakeshoppe
K8Memphis' Golden Cake
Serious_Cakes Yellow Cake AKA_cupcakeshoppe

This way, lostbaker doesn't have to keep editing. and it kinda helps, right? i hope it does...

giraffe11 Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 2:48pm
post #45 of 425

K8......if I have time and ingredients, I'll try out your variation when I try the Sylvia Weinstock recipe. I'll just have to see.......I'm up to a gazillion cakes now!! icon_lol.gif
Thanks for your suggestion aka_cupcakeshoppe! That is a fab answer!

Lita829 Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 3:58pm
post #46 of 425

I'm going to make :

The Sylvia Weinstock's Yellow Cake
Vanilla Buttermilk from Sky High
CeShell's Not-So-Lemony Magonlia Bakery Yellow Cake
Cake Raven't Modified Yellow cake

Lita829 Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 4:10pm
post #47 of 425

Sylvia Weinstock's Classic Yellow Cake Recipe giraffe11, Lita829
Ceshell's Not So Lemon Lemon Cake from Magnolia Bakery LostBaker mla Lita 829
Paula Deen's 1234 cake
Gold Cake
All-Purpose Buttery Yellow Cake from Americas Test Kitchen Lita829
Cakeman Raven's Modified Red Velvet AKA_cupcakeshoppe Lita829
K8Memphis' Golden Cake

This way, lostbaker doesn't have to keep editing. and it kinda helps, right? i hope it does...

I changed my mind from my previous post because I noticed that several of my selections had been chosen. I really want to try the Magnolia Bakery Recipe and Sylvia Weinstocks recipe, though.

CakeandDazzle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeandDazzle Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 4:47pm
post #48 of 425

Sylvia Weinstock's Classic Yellow Cake Recipe giraffe11, Lita829, CakeandDazzle
Paula Deen's 1234 cake
Gold Cake
K8Memphis' Golden Cake
Serious_Cakes Yellow Cake AKA_cupcakeshoppe, CakeandDazzle
Toba Garett's Ultimate Yellow Cake CakeandDazzle

sayhellojana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sayhellojana Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 6:02pm
post #49 of 425

Paula Deen's 1234 cake
Gold Cake
The All-Occasion Downy Yellow Cake sayhellojana
Cakeman Raven's Modified Red Velvet AKA_cupcakeshoppe
K8Memphis' Golden Cake
Toba Garett's Ultimate Yellow Cake sayhellojana

I might try K8's Doubleday golden cake if I have time, but I don't want to commit to it, if thats ok

giraffe11 Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 6:10pm
post #50 of 425

Oops........you left some people off....must've copied an earlier version...here is the updated version......

Paula Deen's 1234 cake
Gold Cake
K8Memphis' Golden Cake
Serious_Cakes Yellow Cake AKA_cupcakeshoppe, CakeandDazzle
Toba Garett's Ultimate Yellow Cake CakeandDazzle sayhellojana

sayhellojana Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 6:12pm
post #51 of 425

Ohps, sorry!

giraffe11 Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 6:14pm
post #52 of 425

No problem. This is great we have almost every recipe covered....

sayhellojana Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 6:19pm
post #53 of 425

I've made Paula's cake a few times, too, so I can comment on that at the end as well, and K8's cake is my 3rd choice if I have time, which I hope to icon_smile.gif

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 6:42pm
post #54 of 425

awww no one wants to try WBH golden butter cake? it really is delicious. icon_smile.gif

maryjsgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maryjsgirl Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 6:43pm
post #55 of 425

Paula Deen's 1234 cake - maryjsgirl
Gold Cake
Cakeman Raven's Modified Red Velvet AKA_cupcakeshoppe Lita829, maryjsgirl
K8Memphis' Golden Cake
Serious_Cakes Yellow Cake AKA_cupcakeshoppe, CakeandDazzle, maryjsgirl
Toba Garett's Ultimate Yellow Cake CakeandDazzle sayhellojana,

giraffe11 Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 6:50pm
post #56 of 425

AKA_cupcakeshoppe......I made a version of that .....the WBH orange butter cake......which is just a flavor variation on their golden cake.........last night for my own personal orange dreamsicle bakeoff! No one has tasted it yet though. We'll see.....

cupcakemkr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakemkr Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 7:03pm
post #57 of 425

I am going to give K8's recipe a go. I've used seriouscakes recipe, its good.

K8 - can you tell me about how many 9" rounds I'll get with this?

Thanks!

Paula Deen's 1234 cake - maryjsgirl
Gold Cake
Cakeman Raven's Modified Red Velvet AKA_cupcakeshoppe Lita829, maryjsgirl
K8Memphis' Golden Cake cupcakemkr
Serious_Cakes Yellow Cake AKA_cupcakeshoppe, CakeandDazzle, maryjsgirl
Toba Garett's Ultimate Yellow Cake CakeandDazzle sayhellojana, [/b]

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 7:07pm
post #58 of 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by giraffe11

AKA_cupcakeshoppe......I made a version of that .....the WBH orange butter cake......which is just a flavor variation on their golden cake.........last night for my own personal orange dreamsicle bakeoff! No one has tasted it yet though. We'll see.....

oh please tell us how it went! icon_smile.gif

I made cupcakes too but the cake was so moist that the cupcake liner peeled off without much effort. but it is SO GOOD!

CakeandDazzle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeandDazzle Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 7:11pm
post #59 of 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKA_cupcakeshoppe

awww no one wants to try WBH golden butter cake? it really is delicious. icon_smile.gif

Which one is it??

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 7:17pm
post #60 of 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeandDazzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKA_cupcakeshoppe

Which one is it??

on the list it's called Gold Cake, that's the name of the recipe on their site
http://www.whimsicalbakehouse.com/bake/bake_detail_gold_cake.html

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%