Cake Table

Decorating By IcedTea4Me2 Updated 3 Jun 2009 , 12:36am by IcedTea4Me2

IcedTea4Me2 Posted 31 May 2009 , 10:25pm
post #1 of 9

I did my first wedding cake yesterday for a friend's son. When I got to the venue (small community center) NOTHING was ready. There were no chairs, tables, no decorations.... nothing. This is at 11 o'clock and the wedding is at 12. Finally the "keyholder" shows up about 11:15 or so and we get inside the building. I'm getting the table placed in the corner, getting the tablecloth on the table that the keyholder brought, and finally setting up the cake. Someone says, "Didn't you bring any flowers or decorations or anything?" Uh, no. I was supposed to deliver the cake and then leave to actually attend the wedding. They just said "Do the cake," not decorate the whole table. Supposedly other people were in charge of decorating. Is that something that we are just supposed to know to do? Just wondering.

Lisa

8 replies
playingwithsugar Posted 31 May 2009 , 10:37pm
post #2 of 9

No, if your people wanted decorations on the table, they would have told you about it and provided them for you to put there.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Rylan Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 2:56am
post #3 of 9

I don't sell cakes but I agree with the previous comment.

indydebi Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 3:05am
post #4 of 9

agree with both of the above. no, it's NOT something that we're "just suppose" to do. Sounds like the bride is one of those folks who just assumes everyone ELSE will take care of everything ... wave the magic wand and POOF! She has a reception!

I finally had to put on my order form, 'Price covers cake, delivery and set-up. Bride is responsible for table, table linen, plates and forks."

(yeah....I DO have the above bolded part actually bolded on my form.)

mcdonald Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 3:05am
post #5 of 9

I always ask my bride what I should expect to do at set up. Is the venue doing the table?? What will it be dressed in as far as colors?? Will there be flowers on the table?? What else will be on the table? Things like that. That way I know what I need to do/bring on the dayl

PinkZiab Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 1:57pm
post #6 of 9

I do what I am paid for. If they contract me for a cake, I make and deliver a cake. If they want the table decorated to coordinate with the cake, well, I can do that, but they have to pay me for my time and materials. I make sure that my contract clearly states what I am (and am not) providing. I've never had anyone expect table decoration when they just ordered cake though.

indydebi Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 2:15pm
post #7 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdonald

I always ask my bride what I should expect to do at set up. Is the venue doing the table?? What will it be dressed in as far as colors?? Will there be flowers on the table?? What else will be on the table? Things like that. That way I know what I need to do/bring on the dayl

And you charge extra for being their event coordinator/decorator, right? icon_rolleyes.gif

I'm with Pink ..... when you buy a cake, how in the world do you get it in your head that the bakery also decorates your reception room? icon_confused.gif

cylstrial Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 12:30am
post #8 of 9

That is nuts! It sounds like someone screwed up big time. Who comes to decorate the place 45 minutes before the wedding. That stuff takes hours. What did they say to you? Did they finish in time for the wedding?

IcedTea4Me2 Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 12:36am
post #9 of 9

Thanks for the replies. I ended up staying and helping just because I wanted it to be done on time. More help arrived and with everyone running around like crazy we got it done. I did miss the wedding and that was not the plan. I had to make the decision whether just walking out and seeing the wedding was worth it knowing that everyone could possibly be quite surprised at a reception hall that was not completed. I thought like someone earlier said that the halls were done at least the night before. It turned out okay, but was quite chaotic for a bit. Like I mentioned, these were not strangers to me and I didn't want the young couple to come in to a mess. Someone dropped the ball, but it wasn't them.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%