Red Velvet From Scratch!!

Decorating By msnrozier Updated 31 May 2009 , 9:44pm by __Jamie__

msnrozier Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msnrozier Posted 31 May 2009 , 9:10pm
post #1 of 6

I am trying to master the red velvet from scratch if no other cake! the problem is it tastes hella good with the cream cheese icing but the red keeps coming thru!!!!

I have made abt 4 of them and the red crumbs come thru and the white icing his speckled, how can I prevent this!!!? The CC icing is so soft!

Thanks CC peeps!!

5 replies
__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 31 May 2009 , 9:26pm
post #2 of 6

That is not any fault of the cake, it is how you are crumbcoating if that's when it is happening. It's just more noticeable with dark cake and light colored frosting. I don't crumbcoat, but I'm really careful with applying the icing. And I apply it very thick to the sides of any dark cake, so you don't see it through the icing. Swipe with the spatula, wipe it off every time before dipping back into the bowl in case any crumbs came up.

I like Cake Man Raven's recipe (google it) and Sarah's Red Velvet, which can be found in the recipes here.

msnrozier Posted 31 May 2009 , 9:29pm
post #3 of 6

my first mistake is not crumbcoating, I didn't know you could with this softicing! I am using cake man ravens recipe and it really does taste good, but the presentation is just a hot mess!

__Jamie__ Posted 31 May 2009 , 9:33pm
post #4 of 6

You can crumbcaot with any icing. I just got impatient one day and decided to go slower with the one step, and I have continued to do so ever since. So, crumbcoat, and chill the tier before the final icing goes on.....and keep the crumbs off of the spatula, and outta the bowl you are getting your icing out of. Should do the trick!

msnrozier Posted 31 May 2009 , 9:36pm
post #5 of 6

Thank you Jamie! hope this works!! my cake has the chickenpox, lol

__Jamie__ Posted 31 May 2009 , 9:44pm
post #6 of 6

Ha! Yeah, red velvet is a bugger, I know I slow down when I'm icing it, for sure!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%