Help - Questions On Assembly/timing??

Decorating By ybeal Updated 31 May 2009 , 9:12pm by Rylan

ybeal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ybeal Posted 31 May 2009 , 7:26pm
post #1 of 4

Last minute I need a cake for tomorrow - I baked the rounds yesterday, planning on a two-tiered cake with zebra stripes and polka dots. Should I fill and crumb coat tonight - then cover with fondant and decorate tomorrow? Or can I do it all tonight? If I do it all tonight, how do I store it overnight?

Worried if I leave all fondant and decorating till tomorrow and I have problems that i will be in a time crunch as I only have a couple of hours in the morning and not a whole ton of experience.

TIA!

3 replies
kandu001 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kandu001 Posted 31 May 2009 , 7:31pm
post #2 of 4

How much time would you have tomorrow? I think you could do it either way- all today or part today and part tomorrow. If you have enough time tomorrow and you have fondant trouble, you could use extra time to fix any problems that may occur.

You never know...it may all work out just fine! It sounds like it is going to be a very pretty cake!

ybeal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ybeal Posted 31 May 2009 , 7:35pm
post #3 of 4

Thank you SO much for the response, I think it is safer to do it all tonight.

Do I have to refrigerate it overnight or can I just leave it on the counter? I'm using buttercreme with a basic strawberry filling...

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 31 May 2009 , 9:12pm
post #4 of 4

Always let your cake settle before you lay the fondant. You wouldn't want any potentail bulges. I atleast let it settle, crumbcoated for several hours.

If the strawberry filling requires refrigeration, I would suggest you refrigerate it. Make sure it is loosely wrapped with some plastic wrap yet sealed. I've actually made a cake with raspberry filling and didn't refrigerate it. It was sitting on the counter for 24 hours. It was fine.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%