Sorry I Am Still Learning :oops:

Decorating By monkeny Updated 31 May 2009 , 9:13pm by Rylan

monkeny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
monkeny Posted 31 May 2009 , 7:17pm
post #1 of 5

I am *planning* on making my sons 2nd birthday cake. <fingers crossed> So I have been on this site every day trying to learn the ins an outs...question: fillings for the cake are they just favored icing to accompany the cake and can you use it to crumb coat the cake?? Is this making any sense? icon_redface.gif

4 replies
Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 31 May 2009 , 7:25pm
post #2 of 5

There is a wide variety of fillings you can use... from fruits to buttercream Some people crumbcoat with buttercream and some use ganache.

Cathy26 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cathy26 Posted 31 May 2009 , 7:26pm
post #3 of 5

it really depends on what filling you are using - i use buttercream both as a filling and crumbcoat - flavoured with chocolate, lemon , vanilla , etc and this is fine to use both as filling and crumb coat. i also use jam, lemon curd, caramel, etc as fillings as well as the buttercream but not as a crumb coat. i think buttercream or ganache are what most people use for crumb coating as you can control the consistency easily - more sticky fruity fillings are kept as fillings only. so for example you would fill a cake with jam and vanilla buttercream and then crumb coat with the buttercream only.

Hope this helps!!

ybeal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ybeal Posted 31 May 2009 , 7:28pm
post #4 of 5

I don't have much experience, for my first filling I used the same buttercreme icing that I was covering the cake with and mixed in some finely chopped strawberries and a tbsp of low sugar strawberry jam and everyone loved it!

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 31 May 2009 , 9:13pm
post #5 of 5

That sounds yummy.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%