Help! My First Carved Cake!

Decorating By ajjhmf Updated 5 Jun 2009 , 4:45am by paulstonia

ajjhmf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ajjhmf Posted 31 May 2009 , 6:13pm
post #1 of 8

My son's birthday party is coming up and we're taking him and 4 friends to see Night at the Museum 2. I thought it would be neat to make his cake like the talking Easter Island Head.

I've never done a carved cake before and am looking for all the pointers I can get. My thoughts are to have it lying down since I can't imagine it being sturdy enough to stand. Although if someone can point out a way to do that I'll try it. icon_smile.gif Anyway, I'll probably cover it with buttercream then with gray fondant I'll texture later.

Anyway, if anyone can give me some pointers, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks,
-Jenny

7 replies
varika Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
varika Posted 31 May 2009 , 6:22pm
post #2 of 8

Use a serrated knife, not a straight blade--I use a steak knife. You can mark out a profile with toothpicks and cut from pick to pick. It's easier to take away than put back on, so work your way in slowly. Stop and dust the crumbs away periodically.

Also, laying down ould be fine--there's any number of them laying on the ground on Easter Island, after all! And don't worry if it's a little "rough" in appearance to you--these things are rough-hewn stone, after all.

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 31 May 2009 , 6:24pm
post #3 of 8

I think a standing cake wouldn't be a problem. The only thing I would suggest is that you use dense cake such a pound cake. I also think that the papertowel method will be great for this one.

Sorry if I'm not much of a help. Good luck though.

mommytmk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommytmk Posted 31 May 2009 , 6:24pm
post #4 of 8

I like to use a pound cake recipe when I carve. It is very sturdy.

paulstonia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paulstonia Posted 31 May 2009 , 6:33pm
post #5 of 8

I've done a couple tall carved cakes and what I was told to do was to use foam core board for the cake board and sharpen the end of a couple dowels and push the through the cake and into the cake board. I just sharpened the end with a little hand held pencil sharpener. It would great! No tipping issue at all. Remember you still need the cardboard cake board between every couple layers for support. But the dowels will go right through those too. Good luck, sounds like a cool cake. Don't forget the pictures.

ajjhmf Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 3:51pm
post #6 of 8

Thanks for all the advice. I did find a few pictures of one that make me think I can stand it up. If not, it won't be that hard to level the back and lay it down. (http://www.giantscape.com/rep_01.htm)

My plan is to carve it from 4 6" stacked cakes. I love the toothpick suggestion,. Thanks.

Then put a cake board between the middle layers, trace the footprint of the cake, cut it down and place it back between the layers along with support dowels under it.

Then I'll run the dowel through and crumb coat the cake.

Finally I'll finish it up.

I'm hoping this works and I'll post pictures when I'm done.

Thank everyone!

ajjhmf Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 3:23am
post #7 of 8

Well, it's done. Thanks for all the advice. I can see a dozen flaws, but my kids love it. My son keeps walking up to it and saying "Hey Dum-dum, gimme gum gum!"

I uploaded t to my gallery, but I'll try to get a copy here once I figure out how.

Thanks again!

paulstonia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paulstonia Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 4:45am
post #8 of 8

Oh, he looks cool. Good job.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%