Need Help - Fondant, Chocolate Transfer, Or Buttercream Tran

Decorating By imartsy Updated 4 Jun 2009 , 12:24am by txsteph

imartsy Posted 31 May 2009 , 5:44pm
post #1 of 19

I've been asked to make a cake with several "favorite items" on it. I'm trying to determine the best way to do that.

The cake will be traveling about 20 - 30 minutes on what is predicted to be an 80 degree F day - so I'm a little worried about chocolate transfer.

I think that maybe it would be good to try to do buttercream transfers as they've asked for some complicated items..... I'm not sure I know how best to do that with fondant....but I'm open for suggestions.

A list of things wanted on this cake:
1) Khazikstan flag
2) USA flag
3) Airplane
4) Dog - chow
5) State of California
6) Cruise ship
7) Disneyland and / or Tinkerbell
icon_cool.gif High heels
9) Graduation

And they want this done in shades of pink.....

Anyone who wants to provide help - please let me know your awesome ideas!

18 replies
tree45 Posted 31 May 2009 , 5:48pm
post #2 of 19

What kind of cake? like a 2 teir cake? or a sheet cake?

imartsy Posted 31 May 2009 , 5:51pm
post #3 of 19

Oh sorry should have provided that detail. It's a three tier cake but the third tier is going to be a round top (it's a bomb shelter - don't ask - it's going to be so weird)

So I would be planning on putting these items around the sides of the cake - a 9 in and a 6 in (round top will be about a 4 or a 6 in depending on what I figure out)

Texas_Rose Posted 31 May 2009 , 5:57pm
post #4 of 19

It sounds like if you could get an edible image printed somewhere, that would be the easiest way to get all of that. Use a graphics program to turn all of the images into different shades of pink first.

I'd be a little worried about the buttercream transfer and the heat...but then I personally have no luck with buttercream and heat.

It does sound like a weird kind of cake...the kind that turns up on cakewrecks not because it's a wreck but because of the bizarre theme icon_biggrin.gif

tree45 Posted 31 May 2009 , 6:08pm
post #5 of 19

Okay, I've never dont FBT before, I'm a fondant girl but I would....

Bottom tier : on the sides the 2 Flags and the state of Cali (FBT or Fondant, your call)... on the cake board I would have the Chow and the heels in fondant

2nd tier: on the sides a sillohette of the disney castle and maybe the epcot center.... in fondant on the ledge of the cake and cruise ship and the airplaine from fondant on a floral wire "flying" from the second tier or even from the top of the bomb shelter.

HTH!

Boy you have an interesting cake ahead of you!! Good luck and Show us Pics when you are all finished!

Eisskween Posted 31 May 2009 , 6:12pm
post #6 of 19

If it were me, I would do them in fondant. Possibly make each one in a frame and like patchwork, if that makes any sense. They could then be applied to the cake. It depends on how artistic you are and your level of patience. icon_wink.gif

imartsy Posted 31 May 2009 , 6:13pm
post #7 of 19

Wow you have some great ideas.... how do I do the "floral wire" flying?

maybe I could do the plane out of fondant.. still thinking about the other things - i guess I'm just not sure of my abilities to make a cruise ship or some of these other items from fondant.....

Oh and would love to do edible images - but I don't own the printer and it is incredibly hard to find a place to print them around here - most of the grocery stores' printers always seem to be broken - as well as the one cake shop around here that I know who does it.

thanks

tree45 Posted 31 May 2009 , 6:39pm
post #8 of 19

Make a plane out of fondant and stick a floral wire in it....let it dry. In the cake stick a little straw or coffee stirer and the floral wire with the plane on it goes into the straw, it holds it in place, just make sure the fondant is dry.

As far as making a ship and plane, I dont think you need a whole lot of detail, the Basic shape, and carving some stuff if needed. There is a lot going on in this cake so some details would be overlooked any way.

imartsy Posted 31 May 2009 , 11:39pm
post #9 of 19

Well I'm struggling with tinkerbell and one of the other things - I'm trying to make flat fondant pieces..to put on the side of the cake...I think maybe tinkerbell might have to be a buttercream transfer - she's hard to do!

claribelcakes Posted 31 May 2009 , 11:55pm
post #10 of 19

If it were me I'd get the images printed on edible paper and then make gumpaste plaques and adhere the images to the palques to give them some depth. You won't have to worry about the plaques melting in the heat and the images will be near perfect. Good luck. Can't wait to see how this cake turns out...sounds very interesting!!

kylekaitlyn Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 12:18am
post #11 of 19

There is a website that you can order edible images from. I have never used them, but my moher found this and sent it to me.

http://www.gogocake.com/store/index.php

HTH

imartsy Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 11:33pm
post #12 of 19

<sob> I don't know what to do - I've been trying to do run-sugar pieces with royal icing (like color flow) and I think the items I'm doing are too intricate. The Kazakhstan flag has a very intricate design on the side....and trying to do Tinkerbell is hard b/c of her tiny features.... I just don't know how to do this.

Again, I don't have time or a resource for edible images......gosh I wish I did.

Does anyone know if there's any other way for me to "trace" these designs? I'm really not good free-hand - that's the biggest problem. Especially with these intricate designs....

if anyone can help, I could really use it!

txsteph Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 12:04am
post #13 of 19

Try doing them with fondant, print out the image, place on top of fondant, use an exacto knife to cut it out , then you can cut out individual pieces of tink ( dress, wings, shoes) etc.. in different colors & stack them on the original bottom layer overall design. She will look 3D. I hope I explained that enough to understand

imartsy Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 12:09am
post #14 of 19

that's not a bad idea for tink - but I can't do it for the flag or some of the other designs.... and I'd still have to figure out how to do tink's face..... did I mention I'm bad with freestyle drawing?

Cakeonista Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 12:16am
post #15 of 19

Fbt's are actually pretty easy if the icture is simple and you can recreate it on wax paper by tracing. Maybe you could make all small individual fbt's and place them around the tiers in the buttercream. It might look cute.

txsteph Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 12:17am
post #16 of 19

Do you have edible markers, it is easier to do tiny details with those, like tinks face. The USA flag can be done by making a white fondant rectangle, then layering stripes of red on it, and using a cookie cutter to make small stars, and a small square of blue for under the stars. The other flag, not sure I will have to google what it looks like.

iownajane Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 12:21am
post #17 of 19

when is it for?
If you Can get edible images in time...I would do the flags,a Disneyland Logo (forget Tink!),and a State of california emblem around the biggest tier (the images can be cut out and either stuck right onto your buttercream,or I've used diluted piping gel to apply them onto fondant...model the plane and the boat and the dog...but "cutesie"...like for a child's cake...chubby and that way no exact details necessary...add a rolled gumpaste "diploma" and a simple gumpaste(or fondant and tylose if that's easier to get black) grad hat....You've done some amazing figures in your photos...you're good at them!

txsteph Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 12:21am
post #18 of 19

that other flag you can do a rectangle of blue .. and do the same thing with the yellow of it like you do with tink, print it out & then place on top of fondant & cut out with exacto knife, then layer the yellow on top.

txsteph Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 12:24am
post #19 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by iownajane

when is it for?
If you Can get edible images in time...I would do the flags,a Disneyland Logo (forget Tink!),and a State of california emblem around the biggest tier (the images can be cut out and either stuck right onto your buttercream,or I've used diluted piping gel to apply them onto fondant...model the plane and the boat and the dog...but "cutesie"...like for a child's cake...chubby and that way no exact details necessary...add a rolled gumpaste "diploma" and a simple gumpaste(or fondant and tylose if that's easier to get black) grad hat....You've done some amazing figures in your photos...you're good at them!

She said she does not have time to get them, the places in her town never have their edible printers working.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%