How To Attach Satin Ribon Trim To Fondant Without "stai

Decorating By superwawa Updated 10 Jun 2009 , 2:43pm by __Jamie__

superwawa Posted 31 May 2009 , 5:05pm
post #1 of 8

I recently did my first fondant tiered cake where the client requested satin ribbon around the bottoms of the layers.

I had read that royal icing was the best option - I attached the ribbon on the AM of delivery day and only used a small amount to attach at the seams only (not all the way around). After delivery/set-up I noticed that the icing had made "stains" through the ribbon at the seams.

I obviously turned the cake so the seams were in the back, but does anyone have tips to prevent this or another adhesive to use?

Thanks!

7 replies
__Jamie__ Posted 31 May 2009 , 5:26pm
post #2 of 8

Line the back with contact paper, and not only will no stains show through, it keeps a nice stiff shape that doesn't slide around or sag.

Also, you can attach it at the ends by overlapping ever so slightly and sticking together with a small piece of double sided tape.

In fact, if this is for fondant, you can skip the whole contact paper process, omit any royal icing alltogether and just do the double sided tape at the end.

txsteph Posted 31 May 2009 , 9:47pm
post #3 of 8

That is a great idea, I did not think of attaching ribbon like that. I have a baby shower cake coming up where she wants satin ribbon on it so this tip will come in handy, Thanks Jamie!

__Jamie__ Posted 31 May 2009 , 9:57pm
post #4 of 8

Cool! Forgot to mention, works best when the cake is nice and chilled, and the icing is firm. Keeps the ribbon from pulling up and dinging the icing when you are trying to adjust it.

Bonnie151 Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 9:54pm
post #5 of 8

Use the wet ribbon method - wet the ribbon, run it through your fingers to remove the excess water & attach to the cake, ideally while the fondant is still soft. The dampness will create a glue.

Be sure to do a test first with the ribbon to make sure it doesn't bleed.

superwawa Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 8:03pm
post #6 of 8

Thanks for the great suggestions! And for the tip about the color bleed when using the wet ribbon method - definitely might have happened with my hot pink ribbon on pale pink fondant!

Can't wait to give them a try for next time.

shelly786 Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 11:27am
post #7 of 8

I read somewhere that using eggwhite to attach ribbon was agood idea so i have done this a couple of times BUT NOt a good idea coz it has stained the ribbons as well. So I have learnt something new today from this thread Thanks for sharing your ideas. Will try the tape method next time for sure!

__Jamie__ Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 2:43pm
post #8 of 8

I wouldn't use egg white...waste of egg white for one.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%