Red Chocolate

Decorating By yamber82 Updated 6 Jun 2009 , 12:50am by yamber82

yamber82 Posted 31 May 2009 , 4:34pm
post #1 of 14

i am doing a gread cap this week and wanted to try making the top out of chocolate. it has to be red though. i don't think i've seen red candy melts at the store and i have never done anything with chocolate before so i would loooove some advice. can i dye the chocolate?

13 replies
Anntee Posted 31 May 2009 , 4:36pm
post #2 of 14

Wilton makes red candy melts. icon_smile.gif

mbt4955 Posted 31 May 2009 , 4:38pm
post #3 of 14

You can color your chocolate, but you might need to buy the candy colors. I'm sure someone will pipe in ... I think you can use regular gel colors with candy melts, just not with real chocolate.

I'm actually expecting to see red and blue candy melts in the next few days since July 4 is right around the corner. I found lots of red and blue Wilton decorations yesterday. Not the colors (I'm looking for blue), but I was at WalMart. I'll try Hobby Lobby and Michaels this week.

DianeLM Posted 31 May 2009 , 4:40pm
post #4 of 14

Red candy melts are pretty common. Have you tried Hobby Lobby or Party City?

If you can't find them, get some red oil-based CANDY COLORING. Add it to your melted white chocolate. Be prepared to need A LOT of red coloring, although the color does deepen over time.

Don't use regular gel or paste coloring because they are water-based and will ruin your chocolate.

mbt4955 Posted 31 May 2009 , 4:40pm
post #5 of 14
Originally Posted by Anntee

Wilton makes red candy melts. icon_smile.gif

DUHHH, I knew that. I bought them last year for a graduation cake. icon_redface.gif Thanks, Anntee.

yamber82 Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 3:23am
post #6 of 14

i havn't looked at hobb lobby yet, but will. i have been sooo busy. i just looked at walmart and they only have brown and white. so are the candy melts not the same as plaino chocolate?

as to the how to, i read a post about this woman who poured the chocolate onto some saran wrap i guess? and smeared it into a square. i can't remember where i saw that, but would i use saran wrap or wax paper? i really have never done anything at all with chocolate before.

DianeLM Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 2:38pm
post #7 of 14

Candy melts are not the same as plain o' chocolate. They are chocolate that has had the cocoa butter replaced with a more stable concoction of oils, so they do not need to be tempered, as real chocolate does.

How big is the square you want to make?

Wax paper is the best choice. The chocolate easily releases.

You are going to want to pour your chocolate into something that has sides to prevent it from spreading too much. If you use a metal cake pan, for example, you don't need to line it with anything. Chocolate releases easily from metal.

If you're going to freehand cut your square, I suggest pouring the chocolate into a small shallow receptacle. Put in the frig to set up.

Remove from frig and let the choc return to room temp. Use a sharp knife to cut out your square. You may have to cut with several passes, depending on how thick your chocolate is.

If you try to cut out your square right from the frig, the chocolate may shatter. That's why you need to let it come to room temp.

Hope this helps!

yamber82 Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 2:46pm
post #8 of 14

thanks for all the info! i didn't think i could cut hardened chocolate without it shattereing. the square will be about 5-6" i think. and what about air bubbles? i want it to be completely smooth on top. i have covered truffles before with regular almond bark. are the candy melts a lot different to work with? do they get hard super fast like reg choc? what if i fold up the wax paper around the edges and tape it or something to that effect to make sides that way i don't have to cut it. will that work?

DianeLM Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 3:06pm
post #9 of 14

The only reason I suggest cutting the chocolate at room temp is because it's summer and room temp is plenty warm - at least in my place it is! Whew! Whether it's warm or cold in your work area, don't try to plunge the knife blade all the way to the bottom. Make several passes. That way, you'll ensure the choc doesn't shatter.

Re air bubbles: After you pour your chocolate into the receptacle, drop it on the counter a few times to allow the bubbles to rise to the top.

Candy melts are very similar to almond bark.

I suppose you could rig up your own mold with wax paper taped to other items. Just make sure the finished contraption will fit in the frig! It would have to be pretty secure, otherwise you won't be able to tap out the air bubbles.

Do you have a 5 or 6 inch square cake pan? If so, no cutting required! Or wax paper, for that matter.

Do you have any other sort of plastic or metal container or object that is the size you want? Look in the toy box, if you have to. hehehe

yamber82 Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 5:20pm
post #10 of 14

if i use a cake pan, how do i get it out without it breaking? and if i cut it, how do i make the edges look smooth?

...and... can i stick i toothpick or something in the middle to secure the tassel without it breaking?

DianeLM Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 6:53pm
post #11 of 14

If you use a cake pan, unmold the chocolate over a folded towel or piece of foam. Turn the pan over and catch it with your fingers, then lower it to the towel. If the chocolate doesn't release, pop it in the freezer for a few minutes and try again.

If you use an Xacto knife, your edges should stay smooth as you cut. Otherwise, you can just use your finger to buff out any rough edges.

I wouldn't recommend trying to stick a toothpick in the choc. Instead, glue the tassle on with a drop of choc.

Remember to ALWAYS wear cotton candy-making gloves when handling the choc to prevent fingerprints.

And don't handle it while it's cold because the condensation will just emphasize any finger marks.

yamber82 Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 1:48am
post #12 of 14

I really need help with this! I made a square mold out of wax paper and poured my square and it turned out quite perfect. I let it sit for a bit and then put it in the fridge and just took it out and the color is splotchy looking!!! It's not acceptableicon_sad.gif will it get better after sitting out or do I need to start over?

I also red on the back not to store candy melts in the fridge or freezer but I already have a bunch of bags in there. Are they ruined?

yamber82 Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 1:21pm
post #13 of 14

yamber82 Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 12:50am
post #14 of 14

bumping again, sorry icon_smile.gif i really need to figure this out by tomarow icon_sad.gif

also wondering if i can make a choc ganache out of the red candy melts?

Quote by @%username% on %date%