How Bad Is This Cake?

Decorating By Genny_yummies Updated 1 Jun 2009 , 10:04pm by cakeinthebox4U

Genny_yummies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Genny_yummies Posted 31 May 2009 , 4:07pm
post #1 of 32

Okay, so I know is not one of my best decorated cakes... I made this for my daughter's Pre-K class tomorrow. How bad does it look? DH says it looks very amateurish, I think so too, but I had to take a break every hour or so. I have 2 month old baby who I nurse. Also, my hands are hurting so bad, .. It is a free cake, but should I not take it in at all? icon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gif
LL

31 replies
FullMoonRanch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FullMoonRanch Posted 31 May 2009 , 4:12pm
post #2 of 32

I think its great! Your writing is clean and steady, the sun is cute and the colors fun. They will love it! Congratulations on the new baby!

briannastreats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
briannastreats Posted 31 May 2009 , 4:12pm
post #3 of 32

I think it's cute! The preschoolers will love it!!!!

traci Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
traci Posted 31 May 2009 , 4:14pm
post #4 of 32

Awwww...it does not look bad at all! The kids and teacher will really appreciate you bringing a cake. Sometimes my kids LOVE the cakes that I hate...so don't even worry about it. They are going to love it! icon_smile.gif

mbt4955 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbt4955 Posted 31 May 2009 , 4:14pm
post #5 of 32

If it were my cake, I would SO take it and I work with highly educated, intelligent, professional adults. Most definitely take it. I think it is very cute and the kids will absolutely love it! thumbs_up.gif

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 31 May 2009 , 4:14pm
post #6 of 32

It's festive and looks completely appropriate for the occasion...and it's free...take it in with pride! Congratulations on your newborn!

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 31 May 2009 , 4:14pm
post #7 of 32

by all means , take it to shcool..it is very pretty.. good job on it. with all the other things that came between making it..

TamiAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TamiAZ Posted 31 May 2009 , 4:15pm
post #8 of 32

The kids will love it...It's bright and cheery!! thumbs_up.gif

lilboo529 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilboo529 Posted 31 May 2009 , 4:16pm
post #9 of 32

I think is looks great....I would take it in i thinks everyone will love it...

mbt4955 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbt4955 Posted 31 May 2009 , 4:16pm
post #10 of 32

Genny_yummies, might I ask how you got your icing this color? I am doing a Dallas Cowboy birthday cake in July and your blue looks pretty close to what I am hoping for. Thanks!

krissycupcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
krissycupcakes Posted 31 May 2009 , 4:17pm
post #11 of 32

i think its better then the other parents are going to do by bringing store bought cr@p

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 31 May 2009 , 4:18pm
post #12 of 32

It looks cute. I'm sure the kids will like it.

Genny_yummies Posted 31 May 2009 , 4:18pm
post #13 of 32

Thanks you guys. You make me feel much better. You comments are all too sweet.
Where would I be without you guys at CC...
PS:--It takes a long time to type with a newborn in your arms...

terrylee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terrylee Posted 31 May 2009 , 4:20pm
post #14 of 32

You did a great job....I love the bright colors and it suits kids perfectly. We've done the clown cakes with those colors and they show off so perfect....Don't be so hard on yourself......GREAT job.

Genny_yummies Posted 31 May 2009 , 4:23pm
post #15 of 32

mbt4955: I used Wilton"s sky blue, quite a bit of it. I also colored yesterday evening, to give time for the colors to darken.
Good luck!

mewmew Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mewmew Posted 31 May 2009 , 4:24pm
post #16 of 32

It is for pre-K kids. They absolutely love bright colours and simple themes. This is perfect for them. Seriously, those kids are absolutely going to adore this cake and are going to be screaming for a piece. It isn't for the queen of England's wake, right! Of course, take it in for them. I wouldn't use it for a wedding cake but you wouldn't have made this cake for a wedding! It is absolutely appropriate for what you made it for. A free cake for kids doesn't need to look professional--they wouldn't even appreciate it anyway. And of course, you knew that which is why you didn't do that. And to tell you the truth, if you did make a cake like that, I think the kids would like this one better. Because it is bright and they can understand it.

diamond008 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diamond008 Posted 31 May 2009 , 4:26pm
post #17 of 32

I think it looks just fine. The children will love it.

sweetjan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetjan Posted 31 May 2009 , 4:31pm
post #18 of 32

I think it's great. Love your colors!

AuntieE Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AuntieE Posted 31 May 2009 , 4:34pm
post #19 of 32

Perfect for kids! Heck, if you showed up with this cake for me, I would be thrilled! It's really cute and festive.

aquamom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aquamom Posted 31 May 2009 , 4:45pm
post #20 of 32

Enjoy the precious moments with a newborn. They grow so fast....

The cake is amazing. I love the colors and everyone will love it too. Put your feet up and take care of your baby and yourself.

Spuddysmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Spuddysmom Posted 31 May 2009 , 4:48pm
post #21 of 32

I've worked with very young children for over 25 years (last school district job with kindergarten) anyway I know kids and they will love love LOVE this! This is such a happy cake! Our district doesn't allow treats made at home.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 31 May 2009 , 8:01pm
post #22 of 32

Please don't misunderstand my comment....in a way your DH is right.... *but*.....
as others have said, it's for pre-school, little ones.....it IS perfect, happy, cute just for themicon_smile.gif

I'm sorry your hands hurt so much.....has this been a problems for you before or is it something new?

patticakesnc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patticakesnc Posted 31 May 2009 , 8:09pm
post #23 of 32

I think it is cute! I bet they will LOVE it!

dhccster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dhccster Posted 31 May 2009 , 8:12pm
post #24 of 32

I think the kids will love it and I am sure everyone will be impressed. Don't be so hard on yourself.... I know that is easier said than done!! You did a great job! Congratulations on your baby! icon_smile.gif

Kaiah723 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kaiah723 Posted 31 May 2009 , 8:14pm
post #25 of 32

I think that cake is adorable! I look at cakes I have made and think they look horrible but others love them. I think we are our own worst critics! And it is a free cake for preschoolers, they will definitely love it! I know I would! icon_smile.gif Great job!

imamommy1205 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imamommy1205 Posted 31 May 2009 , 9:42pm
post #26 of 32

There is nothing wrong with that cake! It is adorable!

glendaleAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
glendaleAZ Posted 31 May 2009 , 9:58pm
post #27 of 32

I think that your DH may need glasses!!! icon_confused.gif

I think your cake is just as good as any store purchased cake I seen in their cold cases --There's nothing wrong with that cake!!! thumbs_up.gif

Congrats on your little one.

Edited to add: Your cakes: frosting is very smooth, writing is neatly done, piped shells are perfect, and the sides look straight and even. I dont see anything amateurish in you cake at all.

EvMarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EvMarie Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 2:05am
post #28 of 32

I think the cake SUPER FUN! The colors are bright and glendale,az is right. I'm still trying to make sure my cakes are iced smooth! I get so excited when I can achieve that, I just slap a ribbon on and call it a day!

Grown ups are sooo boring sometimes! If you were a kid, all you'd see is this happy cake staring you in the face. And...my goodness it says "HAPPY SUMMER"!!!

Not a lot of people go through the effort to make something, and with a newborn? Pa-lease. Those other parents are bringing in store bought stuff for sure!

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 6:41pm
post #29 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by glendaleAZ

I think that your DH may need glasses!!! icon_confused.gif

I think your cake is just as good as any store purchased cake I seen in their cold cases --There's nothing wrong with that cake!!! thumbs_up.gif

Congrats on your little one.

Edited to add: Your cakes: frosting is very smooth, writing is neatly done, piped shells are perfect, and the sides look straight and even. I dont see anything amateurish in you cake at all.

I agree completely!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genny_yummies

DH says it looks very amateurish, I think so too

Your daughter's cake is simply lovely. icon_biggrin.gif

Think you're both confusing simplicity of design with subpar achievement. icon_confused.gif Yes, the design is simple (to be age appropriate), but the execution is very good. thumbs_up.gif

But most importantly, your daughter and her class are going to be delighted with your cake! party.gifbirthday.gif

HTH

Genny_yummies Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 9:32pm
post #30 of 32

You guys are so great!--
Needed to tell all your comments made me feel so much better. Today I took the cake in and the teachers were in awe. They asked if I had gone to school for this, and amazed when I told them I had taught myself to decorate cakes. They were giving me props when I when I went to pick up my daughter about the taste, and all the cake was gone.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%