Helpful Gadget For Storing/organizing Luster Dusts

Decorating By mixinvixen Updated 31 May 2009 , 7:17pm by mixinvixen

mixinvixen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mixinvixen Posted 31 May 2009 , 4:04pm
post #1 of 7

i have purchased 3 different storage containers in the past year or two, trying to organize my luster dusts, which i have a wee bit of addiction for icon_redface.gif since they're so expensive, i want to baby them and be able to see all the colors i have at a glance, knowing exactly what i need and where to find it in the moment i need it.

the containers previously purchased have disappointed me, falling apart or too deep for convenience, or not deep enough. yesterday, we were at joanne's fabrics and i decided to take a look at the storage containers to see if there was anything more fitting and more durable. i found this one, with compartments that you create yourself with plastic dividers. i organized all my colors into groups and it works wonderful!!!! it was only $14.99.

hope this helps somebody!
star
LL
LL

6 replies
Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 31 May 2009 , 4:15pm
post #2 of 7

That is such a great idea!

Too bad the FDA approved dusts doesn't have a clear top. I wouldn't be able to see it from a top view.

scoobydid Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scoobydid Posted 31 May 2009 , 4:26pm
post #3 of 7

If the bottom of the dust jars are clear, store the jars upside down so you can see the colors.

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 31 May 2009 , 4:53pm
post #4 of 7

Oh I never thought of that. I gotcha!

mixinvixen Posted 31 May 2009 , 5:37pm
post #5 of 7

OOOPPSSS...JUST REALIZED I HAD PUT HOBBY LOBBY ON THERE, BUT WE GOT IT AT JOANNE'S..EDITED ORIGINAL POST TO SHOW CORRECT INFO.

i got tired of having to lift up the jars to look at all the colors, so i put a dab of the color on the lid, put a piece of tape over it, then wrote on the tape the name of the color...it has helped a ton.

i have a really huge problem with disorganization, which bites me in the butt with my speed, so i'm trying hard to organize everything in my cake studio to where i can just see it in a glance or get to it in a flash. once it's done, i can keep it that way, but the hard part is just gettin' there! it's an absolute mess right now!

another cool thing i saw at joanne's and will be my next purchase is a wall hanging rack that has small posts sticking up, angled upwards, to store your spools of thread on...i think they would work great for my tips, which are currently scattered all over my 1000 sq ft studio and impossible to find when i need them without destroying the rooms further!. see....told you i need help!!

chassidyg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chassidyg Posted 31 May 2009 , 5:50pm
post #6 of 7

I use these nail & screw holders, i'll take a pic after I deliver a cake, but they have 18 drawers, all my tips get stored in there, buying another today for my icing colors, I write on the drawer what they are.

mixinvixen Posted 31 May 2009 , 7:17pm
post #7 of 7

i use those too for my pre-made flowers, ribbons, leaves, etc. works great for that!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%