I Need Help With Strawberry Filling

Decorating By THECAKEPLACE Updated 31 May 2009 , 4:00pm by GayeG

THECAKEPLACE Posted 31 May 2009 , 2:40pm
post #1 of 5

Please help I made a strawberry filling recipe I got from foodnetworks challenge recipe box. the recipe called for 4 cups strawberries 1 cup rum 4 cups sugar and 1-2 tablespoons of orange zest. I followed directions to the "T" but its too much like a syrup. how do I fix this? I dont have any cornstarch, can i add flour to it? I dont know please help!!!!!!

4 replies
Eisskween Posted 31 May 2009 , 2:49pm
post #2 of 5

Oh dear no, don't add flour, it will make a mess. It's not gravy. I would try and cook it down, or see if you can get your hands on some cornstarch from a neighbor/friend, or send someone to the store.

GayeG Posted 31 May 2009 , 2:49pm
post #3 of 5

Do you have any unflavored gelatin?? Or even a small box of strawberry jello?? You can add either of these in and then refrigerate ... I would NOT use flour!!
Good Luck ..

all4cake Posted 31 May 2009 , 3:03pm
post #4 of 5

I just looked at that recipe. It would leave me to wonder whether or not to remove the strawberries from the rum it was soaking in before continuing with the next step. That is a LOT of liquid for that recipe if the strawberries were left in the rum after soaking overnight and continuing with the next step. After allowing them to soak overnight in the rum, did you continue on to the next step with the strawberries and the rum or did you drain the rum from the strawberries first?

I know it doesn't say to drain...but like I said..that is a LOT of liquid for that amount of strawberries to make a filling.

ETA: I looked again and that is a gag-a-rooney amount of sugar too!!!!

GayeG Posted 31 May 2009 , 4:00pm
post #5 of 5

all4cake - thats is EXACTLY what I thought when I read her post!! Soaking those berries always brings out even more liquid! and (to "me" anyways) WAY too much sugar - I use that much sugar when Im making jams and jellies - which now thinking about it, is probably what she "should" have gotten .... I wonder if she tried to refridgerate or even cook it down more as Eisskween said B4 posting?? hmmmmmm

Well Cake Place?? What happened????

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%