Help!! My First Pillow Cake

Decorating By sinfullysweettreat Updated 31 May 2009 , 6:19pm by CristyInMiami

sinfullysweettreat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sinfullysweettreat Posted 31 May 2009 , 2:31pm
post #1 of 3

ok everybody, I am going to attempt a bunch of firsts here. I want to do a pillow cake and a RI tiera. I have baked a cake but it is only 2 inches high, should I double that into 4"? I think 2" is too thin. I have froze it already its a 10x15. I thought about cutting it in half and doubling it from there. Also, I know that I have to use buttercream and then put the fondant on right? I couldn't find a clay extractor at Hobby Lobby, so how will I make the tassels? This is just an experiment cake. I am doing a real on for Saturday. When should I start on it? Wednesday or Thursday? Sorry, I am ranting, but I am nervous!! Thanks all!

2 replies
Cathy26 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cathy26 Posted 31 May 2009 , 3:23pm
post #2 of 3

i would double it definitly, it would be very thin and hard to carve otherwise. i havent done one of these so i cant help with the rest, sorry!

CristyInMiami Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CristyInMiami Posted 31 May 2009 , 6:19pm
post #3 of 3

HI! I made my first pillow cake not that long ago too.

I also was confused aboutthe 1 or 2 layers. I did 2 and thank goodness I did because when I carved the corners and all that you definitely want the extra height. It will look more fluffy like that.

Michaels has a small extractor that isn't great but since its just for small tassles it might work just fine. Its about $10 but with a coupon you can get it for like $6.

I would bake it Thurs night or Friday morning. As long as it cools completely and has time to set. I tend to work on my cakes really late at night so thats why I can get away with baking early the day before.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%