Cookie Experts, Please Help!

Baking By cutthecake Updated 9 Oct 2010 , 9:50am by noahsmummy

cutthecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutthecake Posted 31 May 2009 , 11:48am
post #1 of 15

I never froze cookies before. Wha's the consensus on th best way to wrap, freeze and thaw?
What do you wrap them in? Zip bags or containers, or both?
Do you defrost in or out of bags and containers? For how long do you defrost? Do you defrost on counter or in refrigerator? For how long do you let them defrost?
Are the cookies really fresh-tasting after freezing?

How do you freeze the raw dough? I have the same questions about the dough....
Thanks for your input!

14 replies
cindy58 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cindy58 Posted 31 May 2009 , 2:00pm
post #2 of 15

I'm not an expert, but when I froze finished cookies I put them in 9x13 cake pans with lids. Each layer was separated by wax paper. When I wanted to defrost them I put them on the counter and didn't open until they had time to thaw. I just gave them a couple of hours or even overnight to thaw. That worked fine.

I haven't frozen dough yet.

cutthecake Posted 31 May 2009 , 4:28pm
post #3 of 15

Thanks, Cindy58!
Does anyone else have any other tips or methods?

bakinccc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakinccc Posted 31 May 2009 , 4:46pm
post #4 of 15

I freeze dough all the time. I put a blob into a ziploc freezer bag and flatten it into a slab no more than about an inch or so thick. I usually thaw it in the fridge overnight then pull it out the next day to bring to room temp to use. Works perfect every time.

cookiemookie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookiemookie Posted 31 May 2009 , 5:28pm
post #5 of 15

I do exactly what backincc does.

One recipe of NFSC fits perfectly in the gallon size Ziploc bags.

I've been doing this for years with most of my cookie doughs. Works like a charm.

As far as already baked. I have a couple big rectangular Tupperware containers that I use. I separate the layers with wax paper.

When ready to decorate, I bring them up from the freezer and lay them out on cookie racks to thaw. When room temp. I start my decorating.

luv2bake6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv2bake6 Posted 31 May 2009 , 7:09pm
post #6 of 15

I always freeze my cookie dough as well as undecorated cookies successfully. I've never frozen decorated ones though.
The dough is put into ziplocs and frozen. When i want to use it, i defrost it in the fridge and it's good to go.
The baked cookies get frozen in air-tight containers and they taste great once defrosted. I wouldn't let them go for more than a month though.

cutthecake Posted 31 May 2009 , 7:22pm
post #7 of 15

Thanks to all of you for the replies. Now I need a bigger freezer.

Mickeebabe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mickeebabe Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 12:30am
post #8 of 15

Do you know how long the dough lasts in the freezer?

Thanks. : )

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakinccc

I freeze dough all the time. I put a blob into a ziploc freezer bag and flatten it into a slab no more than about an inch or so thick. I usually thaw it in the fridge overnight then pull it out the next day to bring to room temp to use. Works perfect every time.

TammyH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TammyH Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 2:40am
post #9 of 15

I freeze the NFSC dough all the time, but I use a slighly different method: I mix and cut out all my cookies, then put them on large styro trays (big -- like a jelly-roll pan). I put a layer of wax paper, then one layer of cutouts, then 2 layers of wax paper, ect... I only put 3 layers of cookies per tray. Then a wrap the whole thing with plastic-wrap and freeze. I've had them frozen for up to a few weeks with no problems. (I also put the cut-outs into a pre-heated oven frozen when I bake.)

I find it easier to have them already cut-out so all I have to do is bake and decorate.

HTH

TammyH

cutthecake Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 2:56am
post #10 of 15

Thanks, everyone!
Tammy, where did you find large styro trays? I've never seen those.

TammyH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TammyH Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 12:17am
post #11 of 15

Cutthecake: I found them at a local paper-supply store. They are GREAT. I think I paid .75 each (I got 10 or so). The only down-side is they are not completely flat (kinda curve up in the middle), but it works great on cutout cookies!

TammyH

cutthecake Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 12:21am
post #12 of 15

Thanks!

noahsmummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
noahsmummy Posted 9 Oct 2010 , 8:16am
post #13 of 15

does anyone have any tips on freezing decorated cookies? and how long they will last?

cakelass Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelass Posted 9 Oct 2010 , 9:13am
post #14 of 15

I like to freeze decorated cookies in airtight containers using wax paper to keep cookies seperated. I then wrap the container in aliminium foil. I had read that this does not allow freezer burn.
I take out and defrost at room temperature over night.
They always come out beautiful and taste great.
The dough I wrap in plastic put in a airtight bag and wrap in aliminium foil again. This should keep for up to 3 months.
Hope this helps.

noahsmummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
noahsmummy Posted 9 Oct 2010 , 9:50am
post #15 of 15

oh thanks! that helps ALOT! does anyone know how long decorated cookies will keep frozen?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%