Kids Eating The Decorations!

Decorating By yamber82 Updated 31 May 2009 , 9:52pm by TexasSugar

yamber82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yamber82 Posted 31 May 2009 , 3:45am
post #1 of 15

i just made an alice in wonderland cake for a little girl and all the details were made out of gp mostly and some wilton fondant with TONS of food color. the girl was freaking out over all of them carrying them around with her after they cut the cake and she kept wanting to eat them but it old her that wsn't a good idea then a while later i saw her and her cousin eating all the mom raths and flowers, lol. i am just really hoping they didn't get sick from it icon_sad.gif have any of you guys ever experienced this? i know gp isn't suposed to be eaten, but what happens if you do eat it? will they get sick?

14 replies
TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 31 May 2009 , 4:21am
post #2 of 15

While gumpaste probably doesn't taste very good and does dry completely hard it is totally edible. Why do you think it is not? Same thing with fondant, even Wilton's fondant, won't make you sick from eating it.

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 31 May 2009 , 5:52am
post #3 of 15

I agree. It's totally fine.

txsteph Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
txsteph Posted 31 May 2009 , 6:03am
post #4 of 15

As long as there are no wires or toothpicks etc .. in the gp then it is just fine & won't hurt anyone if they eat it.

yamber82 Posted 31 May 2009 , 1:22pm
post #5 of 15

really?! that is great to know. i am positive i read somewhere that gum paste is not edible. i don't remember where. maybe they were just refereing to the texture, but hey, anything is edible when you're a kid, lol. well thanks guys, i am very much reassured icon_smile.gif i was worrying about that all night, lol. just waiting for someone to call and say their kid is throwing up, lol.

Price Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Price Posted 31 May 2009 , 2:30pm
post #6 of 15

I have found kids just love eating the figures off of the cakes! I make mine from Satin Ice fondant. Sometimes I will add tylose to make it a little more workable, but I sometimes just make them from pure fondant. My grandsons would rather eat the figures than the cake! icon_lol.gif

I just made a loopy bow from pure fondant and it turned out great. The loops dried hard in a day and the bow went together fine without any breakage. I am wondering if the bow got out in the heat and humidity how it would hold up, but here in the house it is fine!

yamber82 Posted 31 May 2009 , 4:08pm
post #7 of 15

i was wondering if it would ne ok to just use pure fondant and no gp. i have looked for the tylose powder but can't find it. i've seen something called gum-tex i think? not sure what that is.

Eisskween Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Eisskween Posted 31 May 2009 , 4:16pm
post #8 of 15

It's all edible, the worst that can happen is the abundance of coloring may give them 'colorful movements' if you get my drift. icon_wink.gif

Eisskween Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Eisskween Posted 31 May 2009 , 4:17pm
post #9 of 15

You can use plain fondant, but start them early, they take a very long time to dry.

yamber82 Posted 31 May 2009 , 4:21pm
post #10 of 15

awesome icon_smile.gif i should put a disclaimer under my faq's page that exessive eating of brightly colroed decorations may cause abnormal bm colors so don't be alarmed, lol!!! i wonder if any mom's have ever freaked out over something like that. my 9 month old actually had that happen after some green jello, but i knew what caused it. otherwise i would have probably rushed him to the er, lol.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 31 May 2009 , 6:02pm
post #11 of 15

That's what I was thinking of, the abnormal bm colors. Of course my kids are at the age where they would think that was pretty cool.

If you use gum-tex instead of tylose, probably no one would eat the decorations. Gum-tex smells bad. It does work about the same...knead it into the fondant and it stiffens it up.

varika Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
varika Posted 31 May 2009 , 6:10pm
post #12 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by yamber82

awesome icon_smile.gif i should put a disclaimer under my faq's page that exessive eating of brightly colroed decorations may cause abnormal bm colors so don't be alarmed, lol!!! i wonder if any mom's have ever freaked out over something like that. my 9 month old actually had that happen after some green jello, but i knew what caused it. otherwise i would have probably rushed him to the er, lol.

My best friend makes something she calls a "zombie cake," which takes THREE of the supermarket bottles of red food dye, and she says every time someone new gets to eat it, she gets a frantic phone call the next day about "bloody..." liquid discharge....

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 31 May 2009 , 6:34pm
post #13 of 15

Haha that is hilarious.

txsteph Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
txsteph Posted 31 May 2009 , 9:33pm
post #14 of 15

When my oldest was @ 2yrs old my hubby treated her to a Blue Bubblegum snow cone while I was at work. That night I flipped out when I saw her bm until he told me what it was from. It took him @ 5 min. to say "blue bubblegum snow cone " because he was laughing so hard at my reaction to the color of it. Now I know not to get worked up until after I ask what they have ate over the last few days first.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 31 May 2009 , 9:52pm
post #15 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by yamber82

i was wondering if it would ne ok to just use pure fondant and no gp. i have looked for the tylose powder but can't find it. i've seen something called gum-tex i think? not sure what that is.

You can use just fondant, but if the piece is large the figure could distort before it dries.

Gum-tex is similar to tylose. It will help the fondant dry harder and faster than just fondant alone. You can also mix gumpaste in with fondant.

I use Gum-tex all the time and people still eat those pieces.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%