1/4" -Vs- 3/8" Thickness

Baking By HeidiCrumbs Updated 3 Jun 2009 , 11:44pm by sweetiesbykim

HeidiCrumbs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HeidiCrumbs Posted 31 May 2009 , 2:46am
post #1 of 14

I have always used the rubber band type things on the rolling pin to get my cookies 1/4" thick. But since I'm going to be charging a lot of money for one cookie, I want people to think they're getting a big cookie, worthy of the cost, because I know people aren't going to realize the price comes from time and not materials, but if they get a thick cookie then at least they can't complain about a puny cookie.

So anyway, I rolled my first 3/8" cookies today and the raw shapes looked sooooo thick. I freeze them before baking and they aren't due for a few weeks yet so I didn't bake them, but I'm thinking they may be too thick.

What do you all do?

13 replies
sweetiesbykim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetiesbykim Posted 31 May 2009 , 2:59am
post #2 of 14

I fridge/freeze mine, too. The franchise cookie shops are 1/2", I got a bouquet and measured them. It didn't seem too thick or look funny, just very substantial. Depending on your recipe, I would try baking one if you think it's too thick. Then you can see how it bakes, and see if it keeps the same thickness. I have no qualms about charging for my cutouts -they take a lot of time and a lot of steps from start to finish. The "gourmet" price tends to weed out the picky customers that would have issues with them in the first place! Don't worry about it! (said in a Jersey "Soprano's" voice) icon_biggrin.gif

PS (edited) From my experience, customers mostly notice the width and size of the cutters I use for "big cookie" impression and value, not the thickness icon_smile.gif

michellesArt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michellesArt Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 8:31pm
post #3 of 14

i prefer to bake a thicker cookie too. i like them to be softer not hard as a thinner cookie would be. plus as you say, if i'm charging $2+ per cookie i want to give them "a cookie"!(if they've already placed the order they already know the price)

Honeydukes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Honeydukes Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 4:27am
post #4 of 14

I don't sell... but I too, prefer a thicker cookie -- mine are 3/8." I think it gives a nice sized serving and I have less breakage.

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 12:23pm
post #5 of 14

I'm the opposite of everyone else. I don't sell mine either though...so I'm the only one that cares. But I just prefer them to be 1/4 inch. If I ever get around to opening a shop, I might change my mind. =o)

bonniebakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bonniebakes Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 2:14pm
post #6 of 14

I don't sell mine either, ans I use 1/4 inch thick dough for regular cookies and 3/8-inch for cookies on sticks.

I rarely have any issues with breakage, even when I send them by mail.

MichelleM77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleM77 Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 6:48pm
post #7 of 14

When it comes to cookies, I think thicker is better! Hmm, maybe that's why my waist line is "thicker" as well. icon_smile.gif

michellesArt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michellesArt Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 6:54pm
post #8 of 14

lol michelle!! i think that generally if i look at it from the customers point of view i would be more willing to spend money on a more substantial cookie even if it's pretty. all those "gourmet" cookies you see in the coffee shops (for like $6.50) are thick (but hard as a rock-who would want to eat that?!!).as i see it that would be one more reason to buy from me instead!! (and i too have the thicker waistline icon_smile.gif

JustABite Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JustABite Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 7:51pm
post #9 of 14

If anyone would share, do you prefer the No fail cookie found here or do you all use your own recipe? I have been using both to try and figure out which I like. My problem is I like the flavor of my cookies, but I love the fact that there is no spreading with the no fail. I just am not in love with the flavor of the no fail.

Thanks for any input you can give.

bonniebakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bonniebakes Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 8:12pm
post #10 of 14

Justabite - I use a slightly modified version of the no-fail (less BP and more vanilla or other flavored extract). Personally, I like that it's a fairly "bland" cookie (what I really mean is not too sweet) because after putting on the icing - which is really sweet - it's just perfect for most people as far as sweetness goes.

For me personally, I can't eat them with the icing - it's just too sweet, but I love the NSFC on their own, especially with added vanilla extract and some almond extract... yum!

JustABite Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JustABite Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 8:46pm
post #11 of 14

Thank you bonniebakes! That is just what I was thinking. I just was not sure if I could cut back on the bp. That just might do it.

How does anyone get anything else done. I find myself on here searching and looking all the time. Hubby got us wireless, just so I would have the laptop in the livingroom and not be in the office all evening. icon_redface.gificon_biggrin.gif Boy does he love me or what.

Any way, thanks for the help.

cookiemookie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookiemookie Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 10:45pm
post #12 of 14

I "love" the NFSC. I use Penzeys double strength vanilla(I don't cut the amount either). or almond extract in them. Heavenly!

You can even scrape some vanilla bean seeds in for more flavor also.

kneadacookie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kneadacookie Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 11:08pm
post #13 of 14

i prefer the thinner cookies. some of those really thick cookies are just too much. too dry, too crumbly, too much cookie...

i use toba garrett's butter cookie recipe. i also like them better without icing(although you couldn't tell from my waistline either). it's not the cookies i have to worry about. it's everything else we do (& sample) at the bakery i work at. not a good occupation for someone who should be watching her weight.....

sweetiesbykim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetiesbykim Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 11:44pm
post #14 of 14

Someone on another forum last month recommended the Thick Cut-Outs recipe on Allrecipes.com -has anyone tried it?
The NFSC recipe on CC seems a lot like Martha's recipe, a good base but not very exciting. The allrecipes version was compared to a Cookies By Design cookie -it has cornstarch in it, if I remember right. The CC member rolls hers really thick and the pics looked just like a CBD cookieicon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%