Help - My Fondant Looks Like Elephant Skin!

Decorating By MomLittr Updated 31 May 2009 , 6:00am by Rylan

MomLittr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MomLittr Posted 31 May 2009 , 2:41am
post #1 of 4

In the effort to keep it from sticking to rolling surface, I used powered sugar, now my finished cakes look like elephan skin. What can I do to fix this - delivering cake tomorrow! Is there a way to make a "paint" out of fondant and water and brush it on to smooth the surface? Any ideas?

deb

3 replies
tonimarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonimarie Posted 31 May 2009 , 3:58am
post #2 of 4

could you rub crisco on it to smooth it up? icon_rolleyes.gif

sweetiesbykim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetiesbykim Posted 31 May 2009 , 4:11am
post #3 of 4

I've seen decorators use a clothes steamer on fondant to get rid of that dry look. I've tried the shortening on the surface and it helps some. I had a class with Michelle Bommarito, and she said the fondant needs special treatment as soon as it's opened. Break into portions, cover with crisco then saran, then vacuum seal each portion. She said no one tells decorators or fondant buyers this, and then we wonder why it never works for us -she's so right!

I had elephant skin on a wedding cake last year -fooled with it too long and too much 10X and cornstarch. I now just use a rolling mat, then pick it up on the mat and flip over onto the cake -no 10X used! On challenges they would tear it off and start over, but not sure if you have that much time or supplies left.

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 31 May 2009 , 6:00am
post #4 of 4

All I do is I just rub shortening. Sometimes it doesn't work and my only option is to hide it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%