Help I Am So Frustrated!!!!

Decorating By 2SimplySweet Updated 9 Jun 2009 , 4:09am by qubanqtee

2SimplySweet Posted 31 May 2009 , 2:24am
post #1 of 17

I just dont understand this and need your help....It seems like no matter what I do I always get crumbs in my icing. I cover the cakes with a crumb coat and then chill, later i will go back and ice the cake and I will still get crumbs in my icing... I am so grrrrrrrrrr, frustrated!!!! How can I prevent this from happening?

16 replies
momg9 Posted 31 May 2009 , 2:28am
post #2 of 17

Maybe your not using enough icing. I use a lot and never let the spatula touch my cake. If you start getting close to the cake, put on more icing.

jmr531 Posted 31 May 2009 , 2:28am
post #3 of 17

while you are coating the cake, are you dipping the same spatula into the bowl? try using one spatula for coating the cake and a different spatula to get icing.

awestervelt Posted 31 May 2009 , 2:29am
post #4 of 17

Freeze it and use more frosting when you go to ice the cake. It sounds like to me that your not using enough frosting when you go back to ice it. I would rather have to much frosting than not enough.

sweetcravings Posted 31 May 2009 , 2:32am
post #5 of 17

My suggestion to make is make sure that your offset spatula never actually touches the cake with your final icing coat. If you start on the sides.. So get a big blob of icing at the end of your spatula and apply it to the cake going in one direction at the start. If the icing looks like it's thinning, go get more on your spatula. By doing this you will have lots of extra icing on your cake and once the whole thing is covered you go back and remove the excess. My guess would be that your spatula is touching the cake and picking up those nasty crumbs.

Tonedna has a wonderful video on youtube on how she ices her cakes..check it out, it's helpful.

HTH
Suzanne

tonedna Posted 31 May 2009 , 2:38am
post #6 of 17

I would suggest you this. I do this with my students. DO the crumbcoat white..then chill. Make sure your icing is not too soft. Then do the second coat in another color. That way you learn to separate your crumbcoat from your second coat. If you see white, that means
you are playing with your crumbcoat. Remember.. Practice makes perfect. This is not learned in one day. Takes time, just like learning to write..

Good luck
Edna icon_smile.gif

2SimplySweet Posted 31 May 2009 , 2:42am
post #7 of 17

I think you may be right... I do come close to the cake at times. I also notice that right at the rim of the top and the sides meet this is where I get it the most. I well try all of your ideas. I am going to lick (no pun intended) this area of my frustration. Thanks for your help I really appreciate it! You ladies are the best!!

2SimplySweet Posted 31 May 2009 , 2:50am
post #8 of 17

I think you may be right... I do come close to the cake at times. I also notice that right at the rim of the top and the sides meet this is where I get it the most. I well try all of your ideas. I am going to lick (no pun intended) this area of my frustration. Thanks for your help I really appreciate it! You ladies are the best!!

calynmom Posted 31 May 2009 , 2:59am
post #9 of 17

Definitely put on more icing. I was looking at a Martha Stewart book the other day and they showed a slice of the cake...wow I couldn't believe how thick the icing was.

I was not putting enough icing on myself. Good luck !!!

costumeczar Posted 31 May 2009 , 3:53am
post #10 of 17

Yes, always push the icing, not the cake!

letem_eat_cakes Posted 31 May 2009 , 5:45am
post #11 of 17

try using the icing tip. that way you will have even level of icing all the way around and all you have to do is smoothe it down.

jeking Posted 31 May 2009 , 7:22pm
post #12 of 17

Icing tip for sure. Quick, easy, you don't have to add more icing if you put three "strips" on each side with the top one coming over the top. Then you just barely have to smooth the three "strips" together, then smooth the top. Your spatula NEVER touches the cake and it's very quick.

d_michelle95 Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 3:13am
post #13 of 17

Thank you everyone for helping her because I have been having the same exact problem and have been getting VERY frustrated.... it was happening in the same place mostly too...

What is this Icing Tip that is being suggested... is there a certain # that I can look for or can you describe it so I can look for it? TIA!

Hollysuann Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 2:35pm
post #14 of 17

The icing tip is BIG! I am not sure of the # or if it even has one. It's actually called the icing tip if I remember correctly. You have to use it with a LARGE coupler and a LARGE decorating bag. HTH!!

sadsmile Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 5:04pm
post #15 of 17

Trim away the edges of your cake that stick out and then be generous with your icing.

Rose_N_Crantz Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 3:56am
post #16 of 17

You can't miss an icing tip. It's huge, flat and has little teeth on it. Actually, it looks like a HUGE basket weave tip.

qubanqtee Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 4:09am
post #17 of 17

the icing tip number is 789 from Wilton, it's huge you can't miss it

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%