Decorating By madgeowens Updated 4 Jun 2009 , 3:36am by madgeowens

CakesByLJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByLJ Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 2:17pm
post #31 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chippi

Quote:
Originally Posted by CakesByLJ

Edna is right; hi ratio shortening makes a difference (w/transfat). I also use butter in my buttercream too. Make sure you use small amounts of icing in the bag (I use the plastic wrap method) so the icing does not break down from the heat of your hand. Use sufficient pressure, and... practice, practice, practice..

LJ,

What is the plastic wrap method? Is that where you put the icing in saran wrap, clip it and put into your icing bag?

Thanks!
Chippi

Hi Chippi... that is exactly it.. Wrap some icing in a piece of plastic wrap and and place that into your pastry bag.. I have hot hands and find that it really helps a lot...

newmansmom2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newmansmom2004 Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 2:25pm
post #32 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by madgeowens

I know its the consistency, but is there a trick to know you are going to get that magic consistency or is it always luck of the humidity in the kitchen? I was hoping someone had a secret.....and why do they sometimes get little broken edges sometimes grrrrr....I love making them, its very soothing to me......except when they are a flop teehee

I used to get those broken edges and my instructor told me I wasn't squeezing hard enough when I piped. I couldn't squeeze any harder so I just thinned my icing SLIGHTLY and it helped.

The other thing that really helped is to add a bit of corn syrup to your icing. It completely alleviated broken tips I was forever getting on my leaves (I couldn't get a pointed leaf to save my life) and those blasted broken edges on my roses! Now when I add just a teaspoon or so of corn syrup to about 2 cups of icing I get the prettiest pointed leaves and much nicer roses.

miss-tiff Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miss-tiff Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 3:12pm
post #33 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Rose

Quote:
Originally Posted by miss-tiff

CakesByLJ, those roses look wonderful. I have been having a hard time with the consistency of my roses, too. I have just been using Crisco. Where is high-ratio shortening sold?

You can find it at the cake decorating supply shop icon_biggrin.gif

Thank you for the response!

littlecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlecake Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 10:28pm
post #34 of 37

check it out...this might help

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 3:23am
post #35 of 37

Whenever I make leaves they seem to break in half by that vein grrrr....its probably that number tip lol

CakesByLJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByLJ Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 3:34am
post #36 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by madgeowens

Whenever I make leaves they seem to break in half by that vein grrrr....its probably that number tip lol

Your tip is probably closed too much. Open it up with your flower nail or spatula a bit; and add some piping gel to your icing if it needs thinning.. that should help.. icon_biggrin.gif

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 3:36am
post #37 of 37

oh. ok thank yo so much

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%