Black Fondant - Can I And How Much???

Decorating By mbt4955 Updated 31 May 2009 , 11:36pm by tonedna

mbt4955 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbt4955 Posted 30 May 2009 , 10:56pm
post #1 of 27

I have been asked to do this cake for a wedding in July. I don't know whose cake this is - the picture was just emailed to me. If it belongs to a CC'er, please let me know so that I can make sure it is okay for us to use it.

On to my questions ... Is there any way that I can make black fondant or shall I go ahead and get it ordered? I noticed that Global Sugar Art has Satin Ice Black Vanilla and Choco-Pan on sale right now. I really want it to taste good and I know that there are a LOT of threads on the subject, but I would love to hear what people like.

This cake will need to serve between 75-100. I'm thinking that I will either do 14, 10, 6 or 12, 10, 8 (using party size servings). I don't "do" fondant cakes, so I would rather go with the smaller sizes if I can. Maybe even drop down some more and do four tiers??? With the offset squares, can I go with a 2" difference or do I need to stick with 4"?

Would 2 lbs of fondant be enough to cover the 10x4" square and do dots on the other two? I'm thinking that I would do pearls for the border, but probably match the tier colors so I would need black for that too.

Thanks so much - I really hope I can do this!
LL

26 replies
Justbeck101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Justbeck101 Posted 30 May 2009 , 11:08pm
post #2 of 27

It is easier to just order it, but you could just air brush the large black one.

pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 30 May 2009 , 11:08pm
post #3 of 27

I am not good at figuring sizes but I have tried to make black fondant with no luck. Whenever I need black (or red for that matter) I just order it, easier and no worry that the color may come out grey or taste gross with all the coloring in it. Good luck

Strazle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Strazle Posted 30 May 2009 , 11:11pm
post #4 of 27

Even with Americolor Super Black gel color, I was not able to get a deep black. I always use the black Satin Ice or add the black gel color to dark chocolate fondant.

mbt4955 Posted 30 May 2009 , 11:11pm
post #5 of 27

Thanks for the responses. I don't have an air brush, so I guess I'd better go ahead and order fondant. Any preference between Choco Pan and Satin Ice or do you think something else tastes better? icon_smile.gif

Justbeck101 Posted 30 May 2009 , 11:14pm
post #6 of 27

Here is a link for fondant. http://www.earlenescakes.com/Fondantchart.html

If you are using Earlene servings sizes, she has the sizing displayed here http://www.earlenescakes.com/ckserchart.htm

If you are using Wiltons, here is something that may help:
http://www.wilton.com/cakes/tiered-cakes/serving-amounts-all.cfm

kara76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kara76 Posted 30 May 2009 , 11:26pm
post #7 of 27

If you use dark cocoa in place of some of the powdered sugar in mmf it will be almost black. You only have to add a little black icing color to get it completely black. I did this by mistake once trying to just make chocolate mmf.

mbt4955 Posted 31 May 2009 , 1:39am
post #8 of 27

Does it really take 6 lbs of fondant for a 10x4" square?

I'll try to make chocolate MFF first - adding dark chocolate and dutch process cocoa. I have black powdered color ... maybe I can get it dark enough without using too much color. Probably not, but I'll try ... and then I'll go ahead and order black and white. I guess I need to use the same kind for everything .... icon_cry.gif -

Justbeck101 Posted 31 May 2009 , 1:54am
post #9 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbt4955

Does it really take 6 lbs of fondant for a 10x4" square?

I'll try to make chocolate MFF first - adding dark chocolate and dutch process cocoa. I have black powdered color ... maybe I can get it dark enough without using too much color. Probably not, but I'll try ... and then I'll go ahead and order black and white. I guess I need to use the same kind for everything .... icon_cry.gif -

I don't buy it, I make my own. It is not that it actually takes that much on the cake, but you need more than just what you need to cover the cake. So you have room to roll larger than the cake.

mw902 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mw902 Posted 31 May 2009 , 2:02am
post #10 of 27

When you are making your MMF add the color to the melted mixture, get it a tad bit darker than you want the color to be, this has always worked for me. I do it this way for black, red and darker blues. The only drawback is you have to have a whole batch of fondant one color. One more thing for you, I have found that the smaller the cake the harder it is to get fondant smooth, I always do best with my 12, 10, 8 inch sizes! Hope this helps and GOOD LUCK!

mbt4955 Posted 31 May 2009 , 2:17am
post #11 of 27

Justbeck, do you make black fondant?

mw902, would you PM me and tell me how you do your black fondant? I don't mind having a whole batch of black and everything else will be white.

Thanks!

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 31 May 2009 , 2:34am
post #12 of 27

I use chefmaster black all the time with no problem. The color is nice and dark. You have to keep in mind that color will make fondant softer.

Edna icon_smile.gif
LL

mbt4955 Posted 31 May 2009 , 2:37am
post #13 of 27

Thanks, Edna. icon_smile.gif I'm going to make a batch tomorrow and see how it turns out.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 31 May 2009 , 3:46am
post #14 of 27

I've made black and red red fondant before with out too much of a problem. I have made it by adding in the color while mixing it. I used a recipe similar to Michele Foster's (sorry if I misspelled the name) where you heat your liquids and fat and added it to the powder sugar in the mixer with a dough hook. I added the food coloring to the liquids then added more as needed when it mixed. I did have to add more powder sugar since you are using quite a bit of color gel.

I have also just kneaded in black coloring to get it when I didn't want the whole batch black.

I used Americolor Super Black.

Here are the links to the cakes with the black fondant.

Homemade fondant with black kneaded in:
http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1363955

Homemade fondant with color added when making it:
http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=852803

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=852793

mbt4955 Posted 31 May 2009 , 3:54am
post #15 of 27

Thanks, TexasSugar. I'm going to try Michele's recipe tomorrow. I have black powder color, so I'll try that first. I have Super Black too, so maybe it will work between the two of them.

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 31 May 2009 , 6:03am
post #16 of 27

I would suggest you buy the black fondant. Adding too much gel color makes changes the fondant's consistency.

mbt4955 Posted 31 May 2009 , 12:08pm
post #17 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by RylanTy

I would suggest you buy the black fondant. Adding too much gel color makes changes the fondant's consistency.

I have CK black powder color that I am going to use first. I would assume that the powder color won't impact the consistency. I will only add gel color if I need it a little darker.

Thanks.

mbt4955 Posted 31 May 2009 , 12:49pm
post #18 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justbeck101

Here is a link for fondant. http://www.earlenescakes.com/Fondantchart.html

If you are using Earlene servings sizes, she has the sizing displayed here http://www.earlenescakes.com/ckserchart.htm

If you are using Wiltons, here is something that may help:
http://www.wilton.com/cakes/tiered-cakes/serving-amounts-all.cfm

Thanks, Justbeck101. I've never seen that Wilton chart and it will really come in handy. I've got it bookmarked! thumbs_up.gif

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 31 May 2009 , 12:53pm
post #19 of 27

Oh yes, I forgot about the powdered food coloring. Let me know how it turns out since I have no experience with it. Good luck =]

maimai16 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maimai16 Posted 31 May 2009 , 3:01pm
post #20 of 27

i have done black mmf using alkalized cocoa. i mix it with ps before adding the melted mm's. then if it's lighter than what i needed, i just add black of americolor. i let it rest for an hour or so to make it darker. i guess using black powder food color will do the same thing. i used it to make the batman munny and it logo, it's posted on my photos.

mbt4955 Posted 31 May 2009 , 3:01pm
post #21 of 27

I did a half batch of MFF with 3 oz white chocolate - 1 1/2 t of black powder. I could tell it wasn't going to be dark enough so I added 12 drops of Super Black, then 12 more. It's actually not bad right now and it should darken up as it sits.

I'm going to try again with dark chocolate and cocoa. This is for a wedding cake and I'm assuming she is going to want white cake. I would love for my fondant to be so good that everyone wants to eat it, so the flavor will need to go with the cake.

Anyway, I'm going to email Michele and see if she makes black. I don't know why I didn't ask her in the first place. Thank goodness I have a massage this afternoon!! icon_biggrin.gif

Thanks to everyone for your help. I'll keep you posted ...

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 31 May 2009 , 6:39pm
post #22 of 27

I just made black MMF last night (needed it for tractor tires) I only needed a small amount (1 lb.) I started making it the regular way - kneading in the powdered sugar, when it was managable, I took about 1/3 of it and instead of using powdered sugar, I just used cocoa to finish it. That made it a nice brown color -then I added the gel to get it dark black, worked like a charm.

Warning - wear goves when making the black fondant - it stains everything - I hope the folks peel it off the cake before eating it - there will be a lot of ugly smiles afterwards if they don't! icon_wink.gif

nicolesprinkle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nicolesprinkle Posted 31 May 2009 , 6:50pm
post #23 of 27

I make Michele Fosters fondant using chocolate then I add Americolor Black to the gelatin/corn syrup mixture after it comes out of the microwave! I also add dark cocoa into the mixer with the powdered sugar. It works great and tastes like chocolate heaven! Here are a couple pics of my recent cakes that i made the black for.
LL
LL

tonedna Posted 31 May 2009 , 6:57pm
post #24 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbt4955

I did a half batch of MFF with 3 oz white chocolate - 1 1/2 t of black powder. I could tell it wasn't going to be dark enough so I added 12 drops of Super Black, then 12 more. It's actually not bad right now and it should darken up as it sits.

I'm going to try again with dark chocolate and cocoa. This is for a wedding cake and I'm assuming she is going to want white cake. I would love for my fondant to be so good that everyone wants to eat it, so the flavor will need to go with the cake.

Anyway, I'm going to email Michele and see if she makes black. I don't know why I didn't ask her in the first place. Thank goodness I have a massage this afternoon!! icon_biggrin.gif

Thanks to everyone for your help. I'll keep you posted ...

You are counting drops!...lol..don't!..just keep adding color until it gets black...
Edna icon_smile.gif

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 31 May 2009 , 9:48pm
post #25 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by RylanTy

Yes it can, but if you are making the fondant you can also adjust the recipe to counteract the consistency changes. You can either add extra powder sugar while making it or even starting with less water.

I needed ALOT of black (shown in the link of the pics I posted before) fondant for dummy cakes. It would have cost me an arm and a leg to order it plus the shipping. I was able to spend the evening making black and red for a fraction of the cost and getting the colors as vivid as I wanted.

And I agree with Edna, don't count that drops. I just give it a good healthy squeeze and add more as needed.

mbt4955 Posted 31 May 2009 , 10:40pm
post #26 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonedna

You are counting drops!...lol..don't!..just keep adding color until it gets black...
Edna icon_smile.gif

I counted drops because I only made half a batch (in case it turned out grey) and I knew that it wouldn't be enough. IF it worked, I wanted to know how much I had used. I had to make four batches of pink buttercream for a wedding last weekend and I counted drops on that one too. I did NOT want even barely different shades of icing on the cake. That's why I love AmeriColor - no more toothpicks icon_biggrin.gif and I can duplicate my colors.

I just got back from a wonderful massage thumbs_up.gif and I have black fondant. I'm pumped, but I'm still going to try it with cocoa and maybe dark chocolate.

Thanks everyone.

tonedna Posted 31 May 2009 , 11:36pm
post #27 of 27

I understand shy you count, but for black, I just keep adding, it sometimes takes so much that is easier to go by ounces!..
Edna icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%