Please Help

Decorating By THECAKEPLACE Updated 31 May 2009 , 6:52pm by Deb_

THECAKEPLACE Posted 30 May 2009 , 10:31pm
post #1 of 6

I made a strawberry filling recipe I got of of food network challenge recipe box. It seems really liquidy, it is a thick syrup with strawberries.
the recipe calls for 4 cups strawberries 1 cup rum 4 cups sugar and 1-2 tablespoons of orange zest. Do I put the liquid on the cake or only the strawberries? I just don't want them to cut the cake and liquid come out. thanks for reading and any tips help and advice

5 replies
Deb_ Posted 30 May 2009 , 10:38pm
post #2 of 6

Didn't the recipe call for any cornstarch or unflavored gelatin......or any other thickener? Usually fillings need one of these ingredients to firm them up.

You could try mixing some cornstarch and water together, add it to the filling and bring it to a slow boil until it thickens. Cool and see how the consistency is.

redpanda Posted 31 May 2009 , 12:50am
post #3 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by THECAKEPLACE

I made a strawberry filling recipe I got of of food network challenge recipe box. It seems really liquidy, it is a thick syrup with strawberries.
the recipe calls for 4 cups strawberries 1 cup rum 4 cups sugar and 1-2 tablespoons of orange zest. Do I put the liquid on the cake or only the strawberries? I just don't want them to cut the cake and liquid come out. thanks for reading and any tips help and advice

I looked up the recipe (http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/strawberry-filling-recipe/index.html), And it looks to me like they're not even guaranteeing that the recipe will work. They say it was scaled down from a larger recipe and wasn't tested in the smaller quantity.

It is fairly similar in ingredients (with the exception of rum instead of water) to a standard cooked jam recipe, but I don't know if the proportions are correct. This can happen when large recipes are scaled down.

Did the liquid boil and thicken in the 20 minutes of cooking time? Did you let it cool before using?

THECAKEPLACE Posted 31 May 2009 , 1:39pm
post #4 of 6

redpanda I did not let it boil because the recipe said to put it on low for 20 min. and I haven't used it yet I did not want to ruin the cake. Is there some way I can fix it? is it possible for me to make it into jam now? and lastly could i use jam as a filler?

THECAKEPLACE Posted 31 May 2009 , 1:42pm
post #5 of 6

dkelly thank you for your advice

Deb_ Posted 31 May 2009 , 6:52pm
post #6 of 6

You're welcome!

Yes, I think you can thicken this. Try this...........
Place it in a saucepan and bring to a simmer stirring frequently. In a separate bowl mix 2 to 3 tablespoons of cornstarch with a bit of water to dissolve. Add to the mixture and bring to a gentle boil stirring constantly, boil gently for approx 20 min. You should see the mixture begin to thicken.

Remove from heat, place a piece of plastic wrap directly on top of the mixture so that a skin doesn't form and place in the fridge to cool completely.

Stir again before using, it should thicken up for you. My raspberry and strawberry fillings are very similar to the recipe you used except I thicken it with corn starch.

Good luck!
Deb

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%