First Time With Fondant

Decorating By Blueyslori Updated 30 May 2009 , 10:37pm by Blueyslori

Blueyslori Posted 30 May 2009 , 10:22pm
post #1 of 4

May seem like a silly question but I am attempting to make fondant palm leaves for a tree, how thin should I roll out the fondant for this?

Any advice is appreciated! icon_confused.gif

Thanks!!

3 replies
Suewillo Posted 30 May 2009 , 10:29pm
post #2 of 4

depending on where you are putting them. If they are laying on the cake you can make them thin, but if you do them too thin they could break when you try to move them. Too thick and I don't think they look nice. It really is up to what you like and the effect you want them to make on the cake. If you are making impressions on the top of each leaf then you don't want them too think because that will weaken it for moving. Just try a few and see which way works best for you. After all it is your cake lol
Have fun and enjoy doing it.

Sue

Win Posted 30 May 2009 , 10:32pm
post #3 of 4

A couple of things... (and this is just from my own experiences, others have different advice, I'm sure)

How big is the tree?
How far in advance are you doing these leaves?

Why?
If you are doing a fairly big tree (and by big I mean six inches or more), you need to mix the fondant with gumpaste in order for the leaves to dry and not wilt. That should be at least a day (or 12 hours) in advance.

Either way, roll fairly thin so you have a good chance of the leaves drying. If you are using fondant only and is a fairly manageable tree, lay them over a paper towel roll to dry. Applying to the tree with melted chocolate will be a good way to make them stick.

I hope that gives you some direction...

Blueyslori Posted 30 May 2009 , 10:37pm
post #4 of 4

Thanks for the quick advice! The trees are going to be about 6 inches high, doesn't need to be ready til Friday so I have plenty of time for things to dry. Just trying to save myself some t ime by knowing what i am doing first lol

Love the melted chocolate idea..Thanks!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%