Cake Slide

Decorating By yvonneeudy Updated 31 May 2009 , 7:49pm by yvonneeudy

yvonneeudy Posted 30 May 2009 , 9:46pm
post #1 of 8

I need help to figure out what caused my cake to do a mud slide. The cake looked ok until I loaded it, & drove to the church. I even allowed the car to cool for 10 minutes b4 I loaded it. However when I arrived opened the door the backside of the cake had pulled loose and was starting to slide down the back of the cake. Thank God I had extra icing and stuff and not to mention big hydranges to put on the cake. Can a cake be too soft to be used as a wedding cake? My clients like the moistness of my cakes but I feel for the size I may need to change my receipe? The BIG QUESTION IS...TASTE OR APPERANCE? HELP.

7 replies
indydebi Posted 30 May 2009 , 10:01pm
post #2 of 8

I don't believe a cake can be "too soft" for a wedding cake. There's a lot of engineering knowledge required to make a wedding cake (part of the reason we charge what we charge for a cake .... its not the cost of the eggs and flour, it's the value of our knowledge and skill to be able to pull it off).

Was the icing applied when the cake was cold or frozen? Sometimes this can cause the icing to not-adhere to the cake and it may disconnect.

Was the icing really stiff or really thin? Either one can result in the icing falling off (too thick) or sliding off (too thin).

I'm sure you'll get some other ideas so you'll know how to avoid this on future cakes. thumbs_up.gif

yvonneeudy Posted 30 May 2009 , 10:35pm
post #3 of 8

Thanks for your suggestion. I was wondering we have had alot of rain actually 14 in in 2 wks. I am not sure if that had anything to do with it or not. I had to work with the icing to get it a good consistancy to work with. The cake was completly thawed and crumb coated. I have just never seen the icing acutally pull the outside crumb layer away from the cake and start to slide down? That was why I wondered if the cake was too moist. When I thawed it out I left the plastic wrap around it to keep the moisture in the cake.

costumeczar Posted 31 May 2009 , 3:51am
post #4 of 8

If the icing pulled the entire side of the cake off it could be that the icing itself was too stiff. I have some cakes that tend to take more effort to crumb-coat, so I have to really make sure the sides are brushed free of any loose crumbs if I can. If I don't do that the icing can tear the cake if the icing's too stiff.

Maybe you could try chilling the cakes in the fridge and crumb-coating them while they're still chilled? It's hard to say exactly what the cause of this was if we weren't there to look at the damage, so I'm not sure, but my money's on the icing being too stiff.

yvonneeudy Posted 31 May 2009 , 12:07pm
post #5 of 8

Thanks, I will take your suggestions. I have made several cakes and have never had a disaster like this before. I know things happen but it is very disappointing when you are trying to please someone else and are not happy yourself with the cake presentation. Thanks for your suggestion

underthesun Posted 31 May 2009 , 1:46pm
post #6 of 8

We have also had tons of rain, which just makes our everyday humidity even worse.

And... I also had a cake disaster Friday night. Immediately, new something was not right when my Satin Ice was sticking to my paddles as I tried to smooth. Kept thinking buttercream had somehow gotten on them. Then, after giving up on perfection (fondant) started decorating. Noticed the fondant seemed thin in some areas and in seemed to be getting bigger at bottom. Beautiful decorations and baby shower theme, but definitely not a beautiful cake. Friend who was helping (sister in law's baby shower) traveled with it 3 hours. By the time it go to destination, she texted and said "huge blowout around bottom". Haven't talked to her or seen photos. Hope she stopped at Baskin Robbins for an ice cream cake! What a shame - such a beautifully decorated cake! icon_cry.gif

Not trying to take over your post, just didn't want you to feel like you're alone! I also am wondering if the issues started with my buttercream??? Back to the test kitchen for humidity testing. Hope you have better luck next time!

Loucinda Posted 31 May 2009 , 7:15pm
post #7 of 8

When you put the cake into the car - was it near a window where the sun oould "beat down" on it? Even in an airconditioned environment, if the sun is right on it, it will melt.

yvonneeudy Posted 31 May 2009 , 7:49pm
post #8 of 8

The second seat on my truck lets down flat and I only had to drive like 14 miles. Maybe it's jut one of those things that happens. I just don't want a repeat of that to happen again. Thanks for sharing your story. It does help to know other people go through the same problems. icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%