Coloring Frosting Red

Decorating By LynnGerhart Updated 1 Jun 2009 , 1:01pm by brannendeville

LynnGerhart Posted 30 May 2009 , 7:55pm
post #1 of 6

I'm a novice making bright red cupcakes to be decorated as ladybugs. I'm hoping to use the "Scrumptious Strawberry lemonade cupcakes" and making the frosting she suggests: "The Decorator Cream Cheese" with 1/2 lemon juice added for tartness.

Can I use Wilton's red paste coloring in the frosting and have successful results?

5 replies
alwayscake Posted 31 May 2009 , 10:37pm
post #2 of 6

Hi, I think you could use 'No Taste' Red from Wilton, let the frosting several hours/overnight, as the colour will deepen. Still you will need plenty of the colour to get the ladybug red. HTH.

aquamom Posted 31 May 2009 , 10:50pm
post #3 of 6

Some start coloring the frosting orange or pink first and then add the red. I used Americolor orange and then added the Americolor red to get a deep red needed for a cupcake cake. I had my husband taste the frosting to see if he could taste the red and he said he it tasted fine.

patticakesnc Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 5:29am
post #4 of 6

I have been having a problem with this too. The lady who owns the cake decorating shop here told me that what she does (she use to have a bakery) is use the powdered coloring. She says that you still use a good bit but it doesn't leave the bitter taste. Haven't tried it yet but I am going to.

verono Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 12:49pm
post #5 of 6

Super Red from Americolor !! This is THE best ! You don't have the put the entire bottle in your icing..! For a deeper color, make it the night before... I did a Elmo cake 2 years ago!

brannendeville Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 1:01pm
post #6 of 6

I needed red and used strawberry and cherry kool-aid (2 different times) to help acheive the color. I still had to add some Wilton red to it but not nearly as much with out the kool-aid. HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%