Coloring Mmf

Decorating By mommyandmecakes Updated 30 May 2009 , 6:16pm by mandyloo

mommyandmecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommyandmecakes Posted 30 May 2009 , 5:56pm
post #1 of 4

I am a newbee here and wanted to try to make mmf today, but have a question. How do you tint mmf -- such as a violet color? Do i have to tint the entire batch or can i just do a portion? Also, how long does it need to sit before I can use it? Help please. Thanks -

3 replies
GayeG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GayeG Posted 30 May 2009 , 6:06pm
post #2 of 4

Hi! And welcome to CC!!
#1 IF you need the entire thing say violet, then add your cororing when you've melted your MM's - b4 adding the PS. If you need several colors then do it AFTER its rested ....
#2 depends on which recipe you use - some say over night some say a few hours - I usually let mine rest AT LEAST 3-4 hrs!
HTH!

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 30 May 2009 , 6:09pm
post #3 of 4

You can do it either way - for the whole batch, I add the color before I start adding the powdered sugar.

For just a small amount, wait until it is all done, cut off however much you want to color - then "knead" the color into it - I always wear gloves when doing it this way - or grease your hands really well with shortning first.

It works best if you let it set overnight before using. When you are ready to use it, microwave it for a few seconds first - it softens right up!

mandyloo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mandyloo Posted 30 May 2009 , 6:16pm
post #4 of 4

Just a warning w/violet... it doesn't tend to stay violet for long. I don't know if all brands do this, but my wilton violet mmf and candy clay roses became baby blue roses after a day or two.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%