Ants

Decorating By Melissa2000 Updated 31 May 2009 , 2:20am by sweetcravings

Melissa2000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melissa2000 Posted 30 May 2009 , 4:37pm
post #1 of 5

Can anyone help and give me advice on how to make a ant out of fondant, going to put it on my watermellon cake for family reunion..

Thanks

4 replies
eneq Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eneq Posted 30 May 2009 , 4:47pm
post #2 of 5

can u just pipe them on with royal icing or regular frosting? i think it will be a lot quicker to do. unless of course u want to make big ants. i would just look at a picture of an ant and just copy it. theyre very simple.

bettinashoe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bettinashoe Posted 30 May 2009 , 4:47pm
post #3 of 5

How funny. I first thought your question was "how to get an ant out of fondant..." I haven't tried an ant before, but I would just roll small balls out of colored fondant and glue them together with edible glue. The roll out tiny black legs and facial features. Sounds like fun to me!

mom2owen1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2owen1 Posted 31 May 2009 , 12:05am
post #4 of 5

I made some ants out of fondant for this cake - http://www.idreaminsugar.com/?page_id=3&g2_itemId=326

I used balls of fondant stacked with a toothpick in the center. I added the arms and legs after putting the ants on the cake. The antennas are wire.

Sounds like a fun cake!

sweetcravings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcravings Posted 31 May 2009 , 2:20am
post #5 of 5

how about using a #1 or smaller round tip...roll out fondant into a sheet and then take the tip and push it down into the fondant. Just like a cookie cutter. Then keep going until the little dots are coming out the top of the tip in one long strip. Just like if you were to use this method to make fondant pearls. Easy to remove and just pull the pieces apart. This way the circles are made without much effort. If you don't want round you can shape these peices into ovals. HTH

ETA...this of course is for really small ants

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%