Sugar Crystals All Over The Cake...

Decorating By The_Sugar_Fairy Updated 2 Nov 2014 , 12:38pm by leah_s

The_Sugar_Fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
The_Sugar_Fairy Posted 30 May 2009 , 3:07pm
post #1 of 28

Hey all! Can someone tell me how you get that wonderful sparkly effect by putting sugar crystals all over the cake. I know when I put sugar crystals on cookies, I have to push the cookie into the crystals. Well, you can't really do that with a cake and if you just shake them on, would it cover completely? Also, you wouldn't want to use a crusting bc right? Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

27 replies
tinygoose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tinygoose Posted 30 May 2009 , 3:15pm
post #2 of 28

I've never done it but I think I remember hearing that you use pastry gel then the sugar, but I think that is with fondant.

minicuppie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
minicuppie Posted 30 May 2009 , 3:27pm
post #3 of 28

I have wondered if anyone had done this technique on BC...I have dusted fondant with sugar crystals and the effect was lovely (one of the Wilton books). Anyone?

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 30 May 2009 , 5:41pm
post #4 of 28

I did it on buttercream - but I used the wilton cake sparkles, and I put them in a thumb operated pepper mill to grind them really fine. I let the buttercream crust, then as my DH LIGHTLY misted the cake (with my airbrush and pearl), I was running the sparkles in the peppermill and "tossing" them on the cake. It actually did work - but it was not fun doing it....and it took forever too. The pearl airbrush also added to the sparkle effect. The bride loved it, and that was all that mattered in the end!

I know some folks use piping gel on the fondant to get that effect, and I am sure it works out better than my grind and toss - but for buttercream, that was the only way I could come up with.

2sdae Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2sdae Posted 30 May 2009 , 11:03pm
post #5 of 28

I did this for a pretty heart shaped red 3 teir cake
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1191976.html
and I covered in fondant then smeared piping gel on then added crushed sugar in 2 hues of color to get a more full deep color. I have done this on ivory buttercream with clear sanding sugar which is a finer grain and texture to the the sugar you might put on cookies unless you happen to use this for that too!
icon_biggrin.gif
But I digress, I used sugar shack's crusting butter cream recipe which you canm find all over this site and her's. I just put the butter cream on and then applied with my hands the sanding sugar to the sides and tops then let the bc crust around it. I stacked later at venue and took a soft, new, non shedding bristle makeup type brush to the layers and swept away gently the excess before stacking and it covered beautifully and stayed on. I would use the crusting bc as it will harden some and trap more of the sanding sugar without being concerned in over loading your cake in sugar crystals.

minicuppie Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 11:21am
post #6 of 28

I have been talking to some decoraters and this is what I came away with....be sure the icing is really, really crusted and don't apply too far in advance as there is a really high chance of the crystals melting.

SugarCityCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarCityCakes Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 6:37pm
post #7 of 28

Take 3-5 tablespoons of clear writing gel, water it down a bit and brush it on the cake, immediately add to the cake. Im doing one today white cream cheese buttercream with white large sugar crystals. Cant wait to see it finished :O)
Good luck.
Dee

KSMill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KSMill Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 6:55pm
post #8 of 28

I just did this on a fondant cake and it was really messy...but pretty! I loved the finished effect. With the fondant, I thinned piping gel and spread it over the entire cake, then just used my hand to guide the sprinkles onto the cake. [/img]http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1439921[/img]I WOULD RECOMMEND PUTTING A LARGE COOKIE SHEET UNDER YOUR CAKE TO CATCH ANY BOUNCING SUGAR CRYSTALS. I will be interested to see how it works for you...do you put on before the BC crusts, or after and mist the buttercream.[/img]

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 7:23pm
post #9 of 28

PM _Jaime_ I saved a pic of a cake she did, and it is gorgeous - sugar crystals all over it!

ninatat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ninatat Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 7:39pm
post #10 of 28

hi all at one time i has seen roses with silver on all the pedals, they must have been royal icing?

LittleLinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LittleLinda Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 1:03am
post #11 of 28

2sdae, I loved the red cake you made; how did you get the sugar crystals on the sides?

2sdae Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2sdae Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 11:45am
post #12 of 28

I used the piping gel on the fondant and then used red and hot pink sanding sugar to coat the cakes and viola!

LittleLinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LittleLinda Posted 29 Aug 2009 , 9:26pm
post #13 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sdae

I used the piping gel on the fondant and then used red and hot pink sanding sugar to coat the cakes and viola!

How did you coat them on the sides? I picture tossing sugar at it. How is it done?

minicuppie Posted 30 Aug 2009 , 2:59pm
post #14 of 28

Use a tilting cake stand.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 30 Aug 2009 , 4:20pm
post #15 of 28

I can't tell you how many times I've made that cake. Brides love it. And it's easy - you guys are making it way too hard!!

First your base icing doesn't have to be perfect. (love that.)
Then take the sparkling sugar crystals and dump the container into a large bowl, and place the bowl under the edge on your turntable, on the counter.
Gather up some crystals in the palm of your hand and "roll" them up the side of the cake. Have you ever applied chopped nuts to the side of a cake? Some process. Some of the crystals will fall back into the bowl. Reuse those.

Use either a non-crusting bc or apply the crystals BEFORE the icing crusts.

These sugar crystals are NON-hygroscopic, meaning they WILL NOT dissolve on the bc. I put them on the cake on Friday night and when I deliver on Saturday they're still perfect.

minicuppie Posted 30 Aug 2009 , 5:01pm
post #16 of 28

leahs...thanks for that tip about the not melting sugar crystals. Don't you love all the doom sayers?

LoriI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LoriI Posted 12 Sep 2009 , 11:53pm
post #17 of 28

Hi Leah,
What brand of sugar crytals do you use? Any tips as to where to purchase them? I have a white chocolate buttercream frosting that I use, but recently I have had two brides ask if I can make them cakes with sugar crystals on top of the icing. I have never worked with sugar crystals before. Any and all tips would be helpful.

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 13 Sep 2009 , 12:11am
post #18 of 28

I would suggest laying a clean dish towel under the bowl to catch any that miss the bowl and they will stay on the towek rather than bouncing all over the counter and floor....this is adding to Leahs directions

LoriI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LoriI Posted 13 Sep 2009 , 5:03am
post #19 of 28

Hi Madge,
Do you have any suggestions as to where to purchase the crystals, and what type would you recommend that will work with a white chocolate bc frosting?

minicuppie Posted 13 Sep 2009 , 12:32pm
post #20 of 28

I don't buy many Wilton products but I do like their sugar crystals. Nice and chunky, like sea salt.

leah_s Posted 13 Sep 2009 , 1:17pm
post #21 of 28

Minicuppie, agreed. the sugar crystals are 1 of 2 Wilton products I think are good! Most of their stuff is such total junk. I have actually tried other brands of the Sparkling Sugar (definitely NOT sanding sugar) and the W is better.

adree313 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adree313 Posted 13 Sep 2009 , 9:10pm
post #22 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s

Minicuppie, agreed. the sugar crystals are 1 of 2 Wilton products I think are good! Most of their stuff is such total junk. I have actually tried other brands of the Sparkling Sugar (definitely NOT sanding sugar) and the W is better.

i have to know, what's the other wilton product you like?

leah_s Posted 13 Sep 2009 , 9:29pm
post #23 of 28

The dividing mat. The mat that shows you where to place things on the cake in equal parts. I may not know the proper name . . .

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 13 Sep 2009 , 9:41pm
post #24 of 28

Like this? I pour it all around the bottom of each tier. Then slowly drag a pallette knife up the sides, pulling sugar up, but not smooshing into the icing. Works really well. Brush the excess off the bottom ridge with a dry paintbrush .
LL

adree313 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adree313 Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 2:46am
post #25 of 28

i looked it up -- cake dividing wheel. it says it comes in a set with the garland marker. i only have the marker, but the mat seems like it would do more of what i wanted. i'll be buying one of these.

thanks for the tip!

minicuppie Posted 14 Sep 2009 , 11:51am
post #26 of 28

That cake is gorgeous! Well done!

Ed smith Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ed smith Posted 2 Nov 2014 , 1:32am
post #27 of 28

AJust found this site and was looking how to use sanding sugar for a snowy looking wedding cake , so can I use sanding sugar for that or do I need something else thanks so much I'm self taught and try to learnot as I go so all help is appreciated

leah_s Posted 2 Nov 2014 , 12:38pm
post #28 of 28

ASanding sugar can be dull. Try the Sparkling Sugar for, well, sparkle.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%