I Am Not Smarter Than A 2Nd Grader

Lounge By cinjam Updated 14 Jun 2009 , 9:02pm by mommachris

cinjam Posted 30 May 2009 , 3:03pm
post #1 of 14

Well, maybe I am. DS brings home his math test the other day and got two problems wong. I looked at the problems and thought they were answered correctly. I asked DS to explain his thoughts & he thought the same as me.

I am beginning to think the X-axis on this problem is labeled incorrectly - leading to the wrong answers.

What do you all think? I am sending in a note to his teacher - asking what the right answers are.

I do not belive this is going to have an impact on DS's final grade. But, the stickler in me wants to know if I am looking at this the wrong way or not.

What do you think...help

13 replies
shannon100 Posted 30 May 2009 , 4:07pm
post #2 of 14

I'm curious what the correct answers are too! I've tried to think of the axis in a different way, (like the numbers on the bottoms correspond with each child, like there are 10 kids: kid 1, kid 2, but that isn't right because there is a zero.) If you read it that one kid ate snacks zero times, 2 kids ate it both one time and 2 times, 1 kid ate it 3 times, etc., then 6 is the correct answer for #12, but that would make it 5 for #11. I really think your child answered correctly. I just don't see another logical answer that works for both. Please let us know what the teacher says! Maybe she misread the answer key. Very strange that they are marked incorrectly.

sugarshane Posted 31 May 2009 , 1:50am
post #3 of 14

This type of graph is called a line plot graph. The X should represent the children and the numbers on the bottom should be the times they ate fruit. To see hoe many children ate fruit 4 times, count the number of X's above the number. The graph is confusing because of the lable on the bottom of the graph.

Deb_ Posted 31 May 2009 , 2:20am
post #4 of 14

Apparently I need to repeat the 2nd grade icon_rolleyes.gificon_lol.gif

summernoelle Posted 31 May 2009 , 3:24am
post #5 of 14

OK, so to me, I am guessing the numbers along the bottom are how many times they ate fruit. So 0 means 1 kid did not eat fruit. 1 means 2 kids ate fruit. 2 means that 2 kids ate fruit and so on. So the answer to the first question should have been 5 and then answer to the second question should have been 10. I think. But then again, that was not a very "fair" graph.

redpanda Posted 31 May 2009 , 3:38am
post #6 of 14

Yes, the bottom (x) axis is definitely mislabeled. The label should have been something like "number of fruit snacks", and then the other axis (which is implied) would be the number of students having that number of fruit snacks.

Thus, the correct answers would have been 5 children ate fruit 4 times and the largest number of times fruit was eaten was 10.

It's a bizarre question, though. Usually there would be some sort of description to set up the problem, not to mention that the graph would be labeled properly.

summernoelle Posted 31 May 2009 , 3:53am
post #7 of 14

I agree RedPanda. If it takes a college educated 30 year old woman more than a couple of seconds to figure out a 2nd grade test, something is wrong.

Although I am happy I got the answer right. icon_biggrin.gificon_lol.gif

redpanda Posted 31 May 2009 , 4:00am
post #8 of 14

One of the "hats" I wear at work is that of instructional designer, which means that I get to tell PhD's with 30 or more years of experience that their instructional materials need to be made clearer, better organized, and less ambiguous. I love my job!

auntmamie Posted 31 May 2009 , 10:25pm
post #9 of 14

As someone studying for entrance exams for my MBA, and comtemplating an advanced certificate in insurance accounting, I had to take a few minutes to look at the chart. Dang, that's not good!

I believe RedPanda has it right.

txsteph Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 5:42pm
post #10 of 14

I think that the teacher should count them as right, the graph is not clear so in default if he answered either way ... it should be right!! lol

Anntee Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 2:22am
post #11 of 14

Curious to know..............what did the teacher say? dunce.gif

7yyrt Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 7:40pm
post #12 of 14

#12. "What is the most times children ate fruit?"

Huh? Is this in English?

Rylan Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 5:52pm
post #13 of 14

Graph is disorganized and unclear.

mommachris Posted 14 Jun 2009 , 9:02pm
post #14 of 14

No wonder kids get frustrated in class...the new text books don't make sense.

Quote by @%username% on %date%