Gerber Daisy Help!!! My Petals Are Falling Off!!!

Decorating By jolie1977 Updated 31 May 2009 , 3:47pm by Cathy26

jolie1977 Posted 30 May 2009 , 2:41pm
post #1 of 7

I'm getting ready to make my 1st wedding cake ever and am under a bit of pressure to attain perfection. I need to make a few "medium sized" gerber daisies (2 inches in diameter). I've been practicing the flowers for the past couple days and have come across a few unexpected problems!

I'm using gumpaste and the "Daisy Collection" cutters which are great! The only problem is, the instructions say to dry the flower hanging upside down and then let the gravity pull the petals down naturally... The problem I've encountered with that is that when I put my flower in an upright position, the petals start falling off as the gravity pulls them down... it's quite a heavy flower... I do need a lot of layers (using 3 layers of short petals and 3 layers of the long petals).

Then I thought I might be able to dry them "in postion", but I'm not sure what to use to dry these heavy flowers with a wire sticking from the bottom, so that they look a bit curved and not completely flat.

I've looked at tutorials online (there's not much out there from what I can see) and I'm pretty much going on trial and error at this point.

If ANYONE has ever made gerber daisies before, your tips would be extremely helpful at this point!!! I'm pretty patient, but this is testing my limits! ;o)

6 replies
TamiAZ Posted 30 May 2009 , 3:03pm
post #2 of 7

You could try making a flower former out of tinfoil...I've done that before and it's worked great.

mbt4955 Posted 30 May 2009 , 3:13pm
post #3 of 7

The only time I had this happen was when there was something wrong with my gumpaste. I ended up starting over with a new batch of gumpaste and that solved my problem.

As far as your drying question, I would make flower formers like TamiAZ suggests. Maybe make the initial shape out of foil and then use paper towels, tissue, something soft on top of the foil. You could shape them however you want. Put them on a piece of styrofoam and you can stick the wire right through. Once they start to set, you can go ahead and turn them upside down. If your gumpaste is good, they should do fine.

HTH.

Alice1230 Posted 30 May 2009 , 3:16pm
post #4 of 7
Alice1230 Posted 30 May 2009 , 3:18pm
post #5 of 7

this link uses flower formers, you could try that http://www.make-fabulous-cakes.com/gum-paste-gerbera-flower.html

JenniferMI Posted 30 May 2009 , 11:46pm
post #6 of 7

Put foil over the top of a large mouth cup.... indent it in the middle a bit, insert your flower. This will help it not to dry flat.

Jen icon_smile.gif
PS - Make sure all the layers are dry before moving it.

Cathy26 Posted 31 May 2009 , 3:47pm
post #7 of 7

[quote="JenniferMI"]Put foil over the top of a large mouth cup.... indent it in the middle a bit, insert your flower. This will help it not to dry flat.

Jen icon_smile.gif
PS - Make sure all the layers are dry before moving it.[/quote]

thats what i do - i have 105mm sunflowers drying in tinfoil in all my cups in my house at the minute!! also give them enough time to dry as the first time i made them i moved them too fast and all the layers fell apart!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%