Butter Cream Vs. Ganache

Decorating By MACakes Updated 30 May 2009 , 9:45pm by MACakes

MACakes Posted 30 May 2009 , 2:09pm
post #1 of 7

I have read a lot about using ganache under fondant lately and everyone seems to prefer it for various reasons. I am going to give it a try this weekend (cause there is not enough cake to eat in our house, icon_biggrin.gif )

My question is.. I am doing a wedding cake in July that is not tiered, just 10 6" rounds for each table, but the wedding is outside. My fear is that it will be humid... which would hold up better bc or ganache under fondant?

I told the bride that it might be an issue, but she is very carefree and not too worried about it. icon_eek.gif I AM!

Anybody have an experience or wisdom you would like to share?

6 replies
mbt4955 Posted 30 May 2009 , 2:15pm
post #2 of 7

I would be worried about anything that might melt - chocolate or BUTTERcream. I have done a couple of outside events in the Texas summer heat and I've used indydebi's buttercream. Haven't had my icing melt yet and people really like the taste. HTH.

bashini Posted 30 May 2009 , 4:23pm
post #3 of 7

Hi, I would go for ganache. Lot of Australian decorators use ganache under fondant and it very hot and humid over there. icon_smile.gif

mmdiez10 Posted 30 May 2009 , 4:31pm
post #4 of 7

I would guess that ganache under fondant would be better mostly because of the rave reviews from decorators in hot climates. But if you do decide to go with buttercream, use Indydebi's recipe. Good luck.

sadsmile Posted 30 May 2009 , 4:44pm
post #5 of 7

The last cake I made I had to adjust the filling because my Aunt's AC broke. I went with a truffle filling which is almost identical to ganache. It was more then 90' out and I thought the cake would start collapsing under the weight of itself. That filling was firm and held the weight beautifully! Nothing budged not at all until I dished it up! Even then the left over half of that cake stood there tall and proud! I really think there is something to this setting ganache.

Deb_ Posted 30 May 2009 , 7:30pm
post #6 of 7

I'm really curious about the taste.............I just may have to make a "sample" for myself and family to try.

The thing I like about using buttercream under the fondant is that the BC seems to keep the fondant somewhat soft for eating. Would the result be the same with ganache under the fondant?

MACakes Posted 30 May 2009 , 9:45pm
post #7 of 7

Thanks for your advice. I think I will try the ganache and see if she likes it. I know she won't go for Indydeb's bc recipe cause she hates icing made with shortening. I would have to use real butter.

Thanks again icon_razz.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%