Edible Images Too Thick - Help!

Decorating By ckkerber Updated 4 Jun 2009 , 1:12am by sadsmile

ckkerber Posted 30 May 2009 , 1:43pm
post #1 of 13

I'm using EI's for the first time. I made a baby shower cake yesterday and it's a scrapbook theme so I had an EI made of scrapbooking paper and completely wrapped the ides of the cake, then used a few on top. The EI's were made at a cake store nearby. A few hours after the cake was done I wanted to swap out one of the images and figured I'd have to scrape off the buttercream to get the image off, patch it, and add the second image. I was totally surprised to find that I could peel the image right off! It was good in a sense because I was able to change up the design but it has me worried. The lady at the cake shop said that the EI should "melt" right into the buttercream but it's not! I did peel the paper off (figured someone might ask me that) so it isn't that. I just worry because I used so much EI on this cake that it's going to affect the taste / texture because it didn't absorb into the buttercream. I also worry about cutting it because if it didn't absorb in, when cutting the sides maybe the EI will pull down with the knife. Either way, I'm scared that these EI's are going to ruin my cake!

I used the whimsical bakehouse house buttercream so it was soft and didn't crust so that's not the problem. The EI's are staying on the cake fine . . .

HELP!!! Has anyone had thick edible images that didn't melt in or absorb into your buttercream???
LL
LL

12 replies
scoobydid Posted 30 May 2009 , 1:51pm
post #2 of 13

I have only done 2 edible images and come to think of it, neither one really melted into the BC. I figure once a cake gets cut, it doesn't matter anymore. Of course, these 2 cakes were for my family, not paying clients.

My focus right now is mastering the techniques of getting the image off the paper backing without ruining the image and then getting it placed on the cake where I want it and having it lay flat. Those are the secrets I'm after.

ddaigle Posted 30 May 2009 , 2:00pm
post #3 of 13

ckkerber...thie icing sheets will/should eventually mesh with your icing. Just give it some time.
scoobydid....pop your icing sheet in the freezer for 1 minute. They pop right off without tearing.

BMartin Posted 30 May 2009 , 2:05pm
post #4 of 13

your image should melt into the cake after a short while. If your still concerned you could put it in fridge for about 30 min or so then take it out.
The condensation should help it to melt.
As far as getting it off the paper backing.... sounds like you have too much moisture. When I have this happen I put mine in the microwave for about 10 seconds or so till it peals off without tearing.
Hope this helps.

ckkerber Posted 31 May 2009 , 4:57am
post #5 of 13

This was a CK brand edible image (according to the cake shop) and this was not thin at all. I could peel it off of the backing and roll it up like a straw and then unroll it again with no fear of it tearing - it was that thick. I think it just must be a cheap, crappy brand of EI or something. Seriously, I had placed a couple of images on top of the cake and six hours later, decided to change one of them and it peeled right off in one piece with no mark on the buttercream. It didn't melt in at all!

MichelleM77 Posted 31 May 2009 , 7:38pm
post #6 of 13

It sounds like it was wafer paper or rice paper. Those are thicker than what are called frosting sheets. They are cheaper too.

http://store.kopykake.com/cgi-bin/store/scan/fi=products/st=db/co=yes/sf=category/se=Frosting%20Sheets/op=eq/sf=prod_group/se=Pictures%20On%20Cakes/op=eq/tf=prod_sort.html

Shana0608 Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 6:02pm
post #7 of 13

Your cake is super cute! icon_smile.gif I work for Lucks Food Decorating Company, and I dont know what brand of images you were using, but our Edible Image® Print-Ons® designs meld with the icing after only a few seconds. You wouldnt be able to peel them off either, and they cut really easily.

For the sides of your cake or cake crafting, you could also try Edible Image® Designer Prints. They are preprinted patterns and on an even thinner base.

cookiemama2 Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 6:14pm
post #8 of 13

I used an edible image from the grocery store as well. Days later it still didn't melt onto the cake, I could cut it and it wasn't hard or anything but I could pick it off the cake as well, days later even. Yes I took the backing off as well!!! I will try it again sometime but even the color was bad on it. it wasn't even as clear as the original image I gave them. do the sheets get "old"? stale?

sadsmile Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 6:16pm
post #9 of 13

did you sample the EI? I would be interested to know if there was not two stuck together with a backing still in there...but I hope not.

pattycakesnj Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 6:20pm
post #10 of 13

I use KK brand and they melt right in almost instantaneously, I could never roll them, they would tear. To get off the backing, I pop them in freezer for 20 seconds and they come right off.

Shana0608 Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 6:38pm
post #11 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by cookiemama2

I used an edible image from the grocery store as well. Days later it still didn't melt onto the cake, I could cut it and it wasn't hard or anything but I could pick it off the cake as well, days later even. Yes I took the backing off as well!!! I will try it again sometime but even the color was bad on it. it wasn't even as clear as the original image I gave them. do the sheets get "old"? stale?

I can't speak for all brands of edible images, but Lucks have a 5 year shelf life if they're kept in the metalized pouch...our cake decorator told me an image outside the pouch would last up to 6 months if it's protected from heat, light, etc. and should still meld with the icing fine.

sometimes I have a hard time getting them off the backing sheet too, but the freezer trick (15-30 seconds) works wonders!

cookiemama2 Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 1:09am
post #12 of 13

They came in a bag like a " sandwich baggie" It wasn't even sealed. I watch her pull it out of the cupboard and print it and put it back in the bag it came from. The backing just about fell off by the time I got it home and i cut out the individual logos I had printed , and brushed some water on the icing and stuck them on. The first one I even had a bit of water on my fingers and it didn't melt but the color ran. I was surprised because another forum i had found on how to do the images said how fragile they were. I must have just had a bad one. I will try it again because its a great idea.

sadsmile Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 1:12am
post #13 of 13

Any-hoo Your cake is just darling! thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%