Help With Fondant Tennis Racket?!?!?

Decorating By ajmccray Updated 31 May 2009 , 3:39am by sweetiesbykim

ajmccray Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ajmccray Posted 30 May 2009 , 12:25pm
post #1 of 5

Hi, I am doing a grad cake with a tennis theme for next weekend. I got a great idea here on CC, which has a fondant tennis racket on the top. A picture is attached (hopefully). I understand the racket part but I haven't been able to figure out how to do the strings. I emailed the lady but haven't gotten a response so I figured I'd go to the next best source, you guys!! I can't decide if I should just lay fondant strings in that pattern and let them dry. If so, how do I attach them to the racket? Should I make the racket a day or 2 later and attach the "hardened" strings to the "soft" racket?? How do I attach them? Any advice would be great. And just for your info, I don't have a clay gun or whatever that's called. I'm sure it would be simple to make with one of those but don't have it. Thanks SO much for your help!!!

Angela
LL

4 replies
cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 30 May 2009 , 4:07pm
post #2 of 5

It looks to me like she made two sides to the tennis racket. I think she laid one side down, did the string work and glued it in and stuff. Then laid the other side of the tennis racket down. Then she put the stripe all around the outside of the tennis racket to hide the seam where the top and the bottom of the tennis racket meet. Hope this helps!

shanna_banana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanna_banana Posted 31 May 2009 , 3:26am
post #3 of 5

It looks to me like the strings are royal icing. I agree with cylstrial about the racket "sandwich". With RI and a steady hand you could get some really thin, good looking strings. Good Luck!

tarheelgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tarheelgirl Posted 31 May 2009 , 3:37am
post #4 of 5

I am doing a guitar in the next couple weeks and researched on CC about the strings. I found many use angel hair spaghetti noodles brushed with silver dust. I am sure the same concept could be used for the strings on a tennis racket also.

sweetiesbykim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetiesbykim Posted 31 May 2009 , 3:39am
post #5 of 5

The strings look to me like fondant or gumpaste -my "snakes" look uneven like that when I roll them. That's why I got a clay gun, finally! The blue racket looks like a fatter roll of fondant/gp to me, too.

I've also heard of wrapping fondant on the outside of a dowel for sturdiness, and rolling it smooth, but haven't tried it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%