Fondant Not Drying.... Help!!!!

Decorating By cakedoc88 Updated 11 Jun 2009 , 2:57am by cindysmithbrennan

cakedoc88 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakedoc88 Posted 30 May 2009 , 11:17am
post #1 of 8

hi everyone... i am a fondant newbew. just started decorating 3 months ago. i have 2 engagement cakes for my cousin due tom. but as luck would have it, its has been raining constantly in my part of the world today.

i am making a 2 layer cake (6 and 8 inch). the fondant recipe is okay since i made a big batch and used it to cover the dummies (the 8 inch part) 2 days ago and they look wonderful. my problem is my 6 inch cake. i was able to cover both cakes but they still look soft and squishy. im not sure if its the buttercream underneath the fondant although i only did a thin layer of crumb coating

never had this happen with my dummy cakes since i have been doing a lot of practice designs prior to this. but this is the first time i did it on an actual cake. i was able to put my designs on the cake since i have made them previously but i think the fondant looks soft.

is there any way i can speed up drying or decrease moisture. use a fan? blow dryer? im afraid of melting my gum paste attachments.

sorry i cant upload a photo. havent figured out how to do that yet. any help really appreciated...

-ann

7 replies
ylil Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ylil Posted 30 May 2009 , 1:51pm
post #2 of 8

I'm not sure if this will help or not, but I'm making fondant decorations and I have them placed on a tv tray, sitting over the ac register...they have dried really well, maybe that will help? We've had high humidity/rain lots here as well.

hth some,
Lily

mom2rascals Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2rascals Posted 30 May 2009 , 2:16pm
post #3 of 8

I have heard of people using the blow dryer to dry their fondant. I wouldn't use the hottest setting. If the humidity is that high, the fondant may get soft again.

ylil's idea sounds good, but what if you don't have an a/c register?

Bluidgurl06 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluidgurl06 Posted 30 May 2009 , 2:24pm
post #4 of 8

Hi...Hopefully you have a food dehydrator. I had the same problem here in Louisville KY with my fondant and gumpaste. Someone gave me the idea to use a food dehydrator overnight and it worked fabulously!! Good Luck!!!! icon_lol.gif

cakedoc88 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakedoc88 Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 4:52am
post #5 of 8

to all those who replied.... thanks!

as an update, the ribbon topper was a goner. it slid all over the place. fondant dried semi soft but luckily my cousin and fiance loved the cake anyway. i'll look into getting a food dehydrater for the next time

thanks for all the help!

-ann

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 5:30am
post #6 of 8

I tried a food dehydrator for a mmf caterpillar cake topper and had it swell up to huge, mushy proportions. Think marshmallow in microwave.

heavenlybaked2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heavenlybaked2 Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 5:59am
post #7 of 8

i use my food dehydrator and open it up to the largest setting on it, and have had great success with it. my flowers, and bows dry in no time!

cindysmithbrennan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cindysmithbrennan Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 2:57am
post #8 of 8

icon_sad.gif
Hi - I'm making a cowboy hat cake and the instructions said to roll the fondant 1/4 of an inch thick for the rim of the hat. It's been 48 hours and it's still not dry!!! Dare I use a blow dryer on it?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%