How Much Would You Charge

Decorating By babcaro Updated 31 May 2009 , 12:56am by -K8memphis

babcaro Posted 30 May 2009 , 5:23am
post #1 of 10

so i had a lady ask that she wanted 110 - 3inch cakes petite fours covered in fondant with fondat lace coming down with gumpaste rose how much is the normal charge i have never down these personal cakes before never the less 110 lol

9 replies
en-passant Posted 30 May 2009 , 5:32am
post #2 of 10

I wouldn't call a three inch cake a petit four... it's a mini cake, really.

My starting price for mini cakes is $30. Per cake.

babcaro Posted 30 May 2009 , 5:39am
post #3 of 10

thank you well i was giving her a really cheap price of 7.00 per cake and she thought it was to much

SaraClassic Posted 30 May 2009 , 5:43am
post #4 of 10

OMG, to both posts !! Whew, 3 in is hard to work with, I know thats why en-passant said so much, I start my minis at $10 ea ( Im in a samll community also ) But I HATE them, drag her away...far away, LOL. Or maybe a great filling and a poured fondant, and use the words mini cake to her that petit word get them every time. Those things are liek a bite or 2, a 3 in cake you need a fork! That costs more, lol.
Whew, tell her no, you gave her a price break at 100 ( so she feels good ) and you normally charge , like $10-15 a cake ! Its hard to hold, and control that to ice etc... ugh icon_razz.gif

SaraClassic Posted 30 May 2009 , 5:51am
post #5 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by en-passant

I wouldn't call a three inch cake a petit four... it's a mini cake, really.

My starting price for mini cakes is $30. Per cake.

Can you post some pics of your cakes? I was going to check them out but you didnt have any photos at all posted icon_sad.gif
Id love to see some detailed minis !!! I live in a small town I could never get that much for them but I'd love to see them if you get a chance to post. I need to branch out to a bigger town, Im missing out !

babcaro Posted 30 May 2009 , 5:53am
post #6 of 10

thanks for that and when i talked to her i did say 10.00 but i was willing to charge her 7 since she is my husbands cousin well she emailed me saying she got them over the border for like 3.00 each im like good but i bet they wont be as nice or taste as good didnt say that just thought it lol

cylstrial Posted 30 May 2009 , 3:36pm
post #7 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by babcaro

thanks for that and when i talked to her i did say 10.00 but i was willing to charge her 7 since she is my husbands cousin well she emailed me saying she got them over the border for like 3.00 each im like good but i bet they wont be as nice or taste as good didnt say that just thought it lol

Honestly, it might just be better that you didn't have to make them. Because they are so time consuming and 110 is a lot. And just think, the other baker is the one who let herself get screwed. $3?? My guess is that she will never offer those for $3 again.

en-passant Posted 30 May 2009 , 5:43pm
post #8 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaraClassic

Can you post some pics of your cakes? I was going to check them out but you didnt have any photos at all posted icon_sad.gif
Id love to see some detailed minis !!! I live in a small town I could never get that much for them but I'd love to see them if you get a chance to post. I need to branch out to a bigger town, Im missing out !

Nope, sorry. Because of the following clause in the CC terms, which I read before I became a member here, I will not post pictures. This is not at all meant as a criticism of CC, but as an explanation as to why I won't post any photographs.

RIGHTS TO SUBMITTED CONTENT
By participating in "CakeCentral.com", you give us a worldwide, non-revocable, perpetual, royalty-free license to copy your submitted content in any medium and for any purpose." This means, among other things, that your submissions can be incorporated into documentation, FAQs, code and marketing materials without further consent from you. These works may be issued under a variety of licenses. However, you retain the copyright to your individual work.

This means that any photo, recipe, forum post, comment, or other content you submit to "CakeCentral.com" or any of its affiliate domains, is a permanent contribution and you may not demand its removal at anytime.

Sweet_Cakes Posted 31 May 2009 , 12:37am
post #9 of 10

Depending on how detailed she would want them, I would charge her a minimum of $15. Only because you have to consider that even though it is only 3", the eater might eat about half of that in one sitter. So, we technically have 220 servings. Usually in a wedding cake that size, people would charge anywhere from $500-$1000. Now, since 110 mini cakes take more work then one wedding cake, you would be correct to charge more in labor. So really, at a minumum of $1600, the lady is getting a steal!

-K8memphis Posted 31 May 2009 , 12:56am
post #10 of 10

$7, even the $10 with lace and a gum paste rose??? I would be hating myself big time. I'm glad for you that she thinks it's too expensive.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%