Diabetic Frosting

Baking By honeydragon Updated 3 Jun 2009 , 10:51pm by madgeowens

honeydragon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
honeydragon Posted 30 May 2009 , 4:00am
post #1 of 9

I need a recipe for diabetic frosting that I can use as a base frosting for a cake I will be decorating. I have tried some splenda recipes and found they were too runny and tasted really bad. Maybe something with cream cheese would have a better consistancy? I would appreciate any ideas. Thanks, honeydragon.

8 replies
kimblyd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimblyd Posted 30 May 2009 , 4:07am
post #2 of 9

Sorry I can't help.....my sister was just diagnosed with diabetes and I need to start researching cakes and frostings that I can make for her.

Hope someone has some good ideas! icon_biggrin.gif

Kim

sweetattitude Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetattitude Posted 30 May 2009 , 2:32pm
post #3 of 9

Try this website: dlife.com.

kimblyd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimblyd Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 5:32pm
post #4 of 9

Thanks for the link sweet!

honeydragon Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 1:32am
post #5 of 9

thanks. I will try these and let you know what works.

peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 1:37pm
post #6 of 9

I have used SF coolwhip mixed with SF jello pudding made with 1/2 the milk for a thicker frosting. This tastes good but i haven't found any thing that i can decorate with. I have tried the icing mixes that splenda puts out they are really runny and don't taste as good.

I have also, wrapped a cake with SF chocolate and that worked well.

For decorating i would go with gumpaste just pull it off and no ones going to eat it anyway.

Most Diabetics can have some sugar, its the carbs you have to watch. And they are the best ones to know what they can have and what they can't. Unfortunately no cake is good for them cause of the high carbs even with out the sugar.

honeydragon Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 5:14am
post #7 of 9

thanks for the info. it's actually my sister's wedding reception cake for just some family and friends, but our parents are both diabetic and she wants them to each have a little bit. I have found recipies for sugar free and reduced sugar cakes, so all they would have to look at is the carbs if I could get a good sugar free frosting to work with. Do you have the exact recipe for what you said you used? If you do, I would love to try it. Thanks!

peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 10:43pm
post #8 of 9

One tub of cool whip, to one box (regular size) instant pudding using 1/2 the milk called for. When i did it i used soy milk cause they needed sugar free and milk free.

Mix the pudding in a blender until smooth let set up then stir together with thawed whip topping.

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 10:51pm
post #9 of 9

It will not matter if you use splenda...............the carbs will raise the diabetics glucose level even more.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%