Toba's Glace Icing Not Drying Shiny?

Baking By projectqueen Updated 30 May 2009 , 9:58pm by N2Cookies

projectqueen Posted 30 May 2009 , 2:00am
post #1 of 4

I love the taste of Toba's glace icing on cookies and they look so beautiful and shiny when they are wet but once they dry they lose their sheen completely and dry matte.

What am I doing wrong? I have tried it with skim milk and with whole milk and it's the same problem. I use the recipe that has 1 cup ps, 3 oz. milk and 3 oz. corn syrup. I also usually add a little vanilla extract for flavor and Americolor white gel paste for the ones that have to be white.

Any ideas how to keep them shiny once they are dry?

3 replies
N2Cookies Posted 30 May 2009 , 4:52am
post #2 of 4

I would be interested in an response too. When I first started baking cookies I used the glace with good results, however, shortly thereafter, the glace began to have a matte finish and was somewhat blotchy. I am using a variation of the glace now and the cookies are shiny again.

projectqueen Posted 30 May 2009 , 5:11am
post #3 of 4

N2Cookies, what variation are you using that keeps them shiny?

Mine are not really blotchy, just matte.

N2Cookies Posted 30 May 2009 , 9:58pm
post #4 of 4

I used the recipe from pneed5. Her cookies on this forum look absolutely awesome! thumbs_up.gif In her narrative she posted her blog which has her recipes. I tried both the cookie and icing recipe. What I found is that I just added more light karo syrup almost 2 to 1 for the liquid, i.e. 2 tbls of milk then 3 tbls of light karo syrup. Click the link below for her blog and to the right are her recipes. Thanks to Gemini for providing the visual in another post of what the consistency for piping should be. icon_smile.gif Visuals help and that is possibly another reason I was not being as successful. I just read that the piping RI should be the consistency of Peanut Butter and the flooding icing should be like Honey. Hope this helps.

psneed5 link and recipes:

Quote by @%username% on %date%