Help From Gelatin Experts!

Decorating By ibmoser Updated 31 May 2009 , 6:24pm by Loucinda

ibmoser Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ibmoser Posted 30 May 2009 , 12:55am
post #1 of 18

I need to attach a gelatin object to dried gum paste. Thought I could maybe use piping gel, but that is not working. Any ideas?

17 replies
caseyhayes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
caseyhayes Posted 30 May 2009 , 1:15am
post #2 of 18

I don't know but I do want to know too!

minicuppie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
minicuppie Posted 30 May 2009 , 1:27am
post #3 of 18

RI should do the trick.

ibmoser Posted 30 May 2009 , 1:35am
post #4 of 18

Royal?!? Thanks, Minicuppie - I'll give it a whirl thumbs_up.gif

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 30 May 2009 , 1:38am
post #5 of 18

Try using some melted gelatin or gum glue....RI should work too.

ibmoser Posted 30 May 2009 , 10:51am
post #6 of 18

Thanks Loucinda - so far, the royal is not working. I'll try melted gelatin, then gum glue.

Evoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Evoir Posted 30 May 2009 , 11:06am
post #7 of 18

I would say GP glue, too.

caseyhayes Posted 30 May 2009 , 2:07pm
post #8 of 18

Someone on another topic said they attached theirs with BC icing. HTH

ibmoser Posted 30 May 2009 , 2:59pm
post #9 of 18

Well, I had to deliver the piece still a bit slippery. It was a tragic attempt to model a P-40 Flying Tiger (WWII fighter plane) by a fumble-fingered newbie. It twisteded during the drying process and looked pretty miserable. Sorry - short vent icon_redface.gif . I made a mold for the cockpit cover and poured gelatin so that it would look clear like the real plane - even had the little ridges for the three sections. The gelatin molded nicely. I had cut the cockpit section of the fuselage down flat for this gelatin piece to fit on, so it needed to be attached flat and "invisibly". It was like the gelatin was preventing any sort of glue from drying - it simply would not firm up. I made goo from the same-colored gumpaste and a bit of water, and that's what it went out with. It was still a bit wet, but maybe it will stay in place for the 85th birthday party.... So, I'm still interested in experiences, trials, and successes since I have Diane's veining sheets and insect body mold on the way thumbs_up.gif

caseyhayes Posted 30 May 2009 , 7:00pm
post #10 of 18

I want to make a half of a wine glass this week for a cake. I'm looking at using the "melted" sugar. Maybe that could work out for you the next time.

ibmoser Posted 30 May 2009 , 7:36pm
post #11 of 18

Sighhhhhh - yep, that old hindsite again. I even have Isomalt. Coulda, shoulda.....

caseyhayes Posted 30 May 2009 , 8:29pm
post #12 of 18

I don't have a mold but do you think that I could use play dough and press the glass into it? then pour the mixture in and get the shape? How would you do it without a store bought mold?

ibmoser Posted 30 May 2009 , 10:53pm
post #13 of 18

You will need to find a silicone product to make a mold for sugar - the temps of sugar are hot enough to melt plastic chocolate molds and turn play dough into cooked goods icon_lol.gif . Our Michaels sells Amazing Mold Putty in the clay section - a two-part food-safe silicone product - you can use a coupon to reduce the sticker shock. It will take several packages to have enough to mold half of a a full-sized glass, though

caseyhayes Posted 31 May 2009 , 4:31am
post #14 of 18

I live an hour from Micheals and Hobby Lobby so I decided to experiment. I didn't get your post until after I was done. I had plenty of playdough never used so I played with it. I made my "mold" in a bread pan. Placed the dough in the pan and pressed the wine glass in it for the imprint. Then I cooked my sugar put it in the mold and let it set. I ended up putting it into the fridge for about an hour. It's definitely not perfect but it would do in a pinch.

caseyhayes Posted 31 May 2009 , 4:35am
post #15 of 18

Sorry, tried to add as an attachment here but it wouldn't take it. I did put in my photos to let you have a peek at the results. Like I said not perfect but fun to do.

ibmoser Posted 31 May 2009 , 3:13pm
post #16 of 18

Wow - that glass looks great! I wouldn't have expected the play dough to release from the surface at those temps. Update on gum glue to attach gelatin to dried gum paste - it does not work icon_cry.gif . It is, however, a great Halloween effect when used on olive drab gumpaste - continuous green goo oooooooozing out from the edges even after 30 hours of "drying" icon_eek.gificon_mad.gif .

caseyhayes Posted 31 May 2009 , 5:33pm
post #17 of 18

Bless your heart!!! Some times this cake thing is a love hate relationshipicon_smile.gif Hope you have enough time to figure something out. My glass was not perfect, it had small holes in some places and uneven marks. Soooo, I put it under running cold water and smoothed it with my handicon_smile.gif Worked like a charm. It's amazing how well experiments turn out when the pressures NOT on. Good luck!!! And thanks for your help I will get a mold next time.

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 31 May 2009 , 6:24pm
post #18 of 18

Your glass turned out really well! I haven't ventured into the molten sugar yet - but I hear there is going to possibly be a class on it at our next DOS....if so, I will take it!

I am sorry the gum glue didn't work out. I used it on my first bow and it worked fine (but that was gelatin to gelatin not gumpaste)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%