The *right* Buttercream

Baking By bcloirao Updated 31 May 2009 , 4:32am by EatSomeCake

bcloirao Posted 30 May 2009 , 12:15am
post #1 of 5

We are a husband and wife who love to make cakes together. We're certainly not as experienced as many of you who are here, and have certainly been inspired by many of your cakes!

We are doing our second wedding cake next month and are having a problem finding the right buttercream for the cake. We are planning on using this recipe. The bride wants a combed buttercream look on the exterior sides of the cake. (something like this, but more even looking.)

I have made several buttercreams in the past, but have found the IMBC to be too buttery tasting, and the crisco based buttercreams to be sickly sweet to the point that they overpower the taste of the cake. I clearly haven't tried every recipe on here, but am afraid that some of the most popular ones (Indydebi's buttercream, and other hi-ratio buttercreams) might be too sweet. Any suggestions?

4 replies
indydebi Posted 30 May 2009 , 12:23am
post #2 of 5

I will share that many say mine isn't sweet (which I can never understand because it's made of sugar!), but possibly the dream whip balances it or something.

JanH Posted 30 May 2009 , 12:27am
post #3 of 5

Hi and Congrats on your 1st post, bcloirao. icon_smile.gif

The WASC cake is very popular on CC.... Don't know why you would think that the popular CC Crisco and hi-ratio recipes would be too sweet. icon_confused.gif (They're popular because they aren't sickly sweet or "greasy".) Guess you won't know until you taste test them for yourselves. icon_lol.gif

Everything you need to know to make, decorate and assemble tiered/stacked/layer cakes:

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-605188-.html

The above thread has several versions of the WASC cake (with and without oil) and popular CC recipes for Crisco and hi-ratio American b/c's and so much more.

Good luck!

EatSomeCake Posted 31 May 2009 , 4:27am
post #4 of 5

This is a recipe from sewsweet on another page and after baking for 15 years is the best I have ever found.

It's a fabulous recipe I got on another site from a lady named "sewsweet" Hope you can try it, it goes great with two cake recipes I posted on the great scratch off post.

Buttercream Icing II - Faux Fondant

http://whatscookingamerica.net/PegW/ButtercreamIcing.htm

EatSomeCake Posted 31 May 2009 , 4:32am
post #5 of 5

I forgot to add that the cornstarch and powdered milk both completely take away the greasiness of the crisco, which also means you can use 100% crisco if you like.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%