-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 31 May 2009 , 8:28pm
post #31 of 36

Lookie here for some more info regarding climate controlling cakes:

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-633826.html

tiffevans Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiffevans Posted 31 May 2009 , 9:08pm
post #32 of 36

thnks k8memphis....yeah you know what I mean by humidity!!! We both live in the south where 80 means 100. I didnt chill it because I read somewhere that it would make your cake less moist. I really think it was my icing. I always do crusting icing...well my version of crusting icing but this time I added more milk than I normally do. I dont know why...I think I was just nervous with it being my first wedding and I wanted to make sure my icing went on smooth so i didnt get any specs of cake in it....I have transported big cakes before the same distance as I did yesterday but my icing was a lot thicker and it didnt crack....do you think that could have been my problem?!?!?!?

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 31 May 2009 , 9:27pm
post #33 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiffevans

thnks k8memphis....yeah you know what I mean by humidity!!! We both live in the south where 80 means 100. I didnt chill it because I read somewhere that it would make your cake less moist. I really think it was my icing. I always do crusting icing...well my version of crusting icing but this time I added more milk than I normally do. I dont know why...I think I was just nervous with it being my first wedding and I wanted to make sure my icing went on smooth so i didnt get any specs of cake in it....I have transported big cakes before the same distance as I did yesterday but my icing was a lot thicker and it didnt crack....do you think that could have been my problem?!?!?!?

Honestly I don't know for sure. Like I said, ten thousand variables plus I use meringue based icing mostly so I'm not super fresh familiar with it.

So but yes the frige dries things out--but the cake itself is enclosed in the icing.

Best recommendation I can give you is to test it. Make a test cakelette--frige it, freeze some, stick it in a box outside at noon, do one with the freezer pack out side full sun, time it. Play mad scientist. icon_biggrin.gif That way you get the right info that perfectly matches your recipes & stuff. Can't go wrong that way.

Yes and Happy Freakin' Humidity to You too!!!! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif
Lovely after a rain, we could surf on the steam!!!icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

spring Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
spring Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 12:20am
post #34 of 36

We refrigerate all our cakes. During the summer we use boxes for transport, similar to the way K8 Memphis describes.

I think a cold (not frozen) cake travels better. As for refrigeration drying out a cake, if the cake is frosted, refrigeration should not be a problem.

Minette
My Blog- www.minetterushing.typepad.com

mombabytiger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mombabytiger Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 1:29am
post #35 of 36

I am a pastry chef and quite often have an emergency situation where I must serve a frozen cake fairly quickly. Keep in mind that these are normally 9" two-layer cakes. You'd be surprised how fast they come to cutting temp. Once cut, they will be ready to serve in very little time. I have no problem whatsoever with freezing cakes. Sometimes it even helps to improve the structure. Don't know why people boast that they never freeze cakes!

mombabytiger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mombabytiger Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 1:30am
post #36 of 36

I am a pastry chef and quite often have an emergency situation where I must serve a frozen cake fairly quickly. Keep in mind that these are normally 9" two-layer cakes. You'd be surprised how fast they come to cutting temp. Once cut, they will be ready to serve in very little time. I have no problem whatsoever with freezing cakes. Sometimes it even helps to improve the structure. Don't know why people boast that they never freeze cakes!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%