Cost Of This Cake?

Decorating By Neelas_wife Updated 30 May 2009 , 11:04am by Evoir

Neelas_wife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Neelas_wife Posted 29 May 2009 , 9:06pm
post #1 of 15

How much do you think this wedding cake would cost? Any ideas? pls let me know. Thanks everyone.....
LL

14 replies
DeeDelightful Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeeDelightful Posted 29 May 2009 , 9:19pm
post #2 of 15

It depends on how much of it is actually cake or cake dummy. if it's all cake, i'd say easily $700 base price (single flavor/filling, silk flowers) I say charge more for multiple cake flavors/fillings and gumpaste flowers. You can determine how much to deduct if any of the tiers are dummy tiers. It could be a $1000 wedding cake.

DeeDelightful Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeeDelightful Posted 29 May 2009 , 9:20pm
post #3 of 15

heck, i'd say $1000 just for the effort of dowel rodding it to keep it steady...that cake looks dangerous to me and my skill level.

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 29 May 2009 , 9:22pm
post #4 of 15

Do you know the sizes of the tiers? This will determine how many servings this cake will feed.I base my prices on $3.00 per serving so if I was making a cake for 200 then my BASE price would be $500.00...The extras would be the gumpaste/fondant flowers and twigs etc over and above the $500.00 base price.You have to consider boards,dowels,plates,delivery....which could be extra or considered part of the base price.Many other decoraters are more per serving so it depends on where you are located as well!

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 29 May 2009 , 9:24pm
post #5 of 15

Well...since it is a Charm City Cake...ya know it's over a grand! icon_biggrin.gif

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 29 May 2009 , 10:02pm
post #6 of 15

I mean when you say how much, do you mean how much from CCC or how much from moi? Or how much to make it yourself?

I can answer one of those three questions--from me it'd be about $1500 give or take plus delivery plus for any fancy flavors.

I don't know for sure of course but just guessing it seems that the tiers are 5 or 6 inches tall--do they seem over tall to you --they do to me.

So I'm guessing it's a 16x14x12x10x8

So lemme do that math...brb...that's 297 so we'll call it 300 plus the additional height--could be another layer of foam core or more cake batter--but cake that tall doesn't fit on the cake plates so in my imagining here we'll go with the half inch foamcore--ok two half inch layers of foam core per tier.

I mean the construction is not a biggie--it's beautiful with the added height but it's offset tiers--I'd charge quite a bit for those flowers on the long flowing branches. $180-ish? There's like six branches that are about a foot long each. So add that all up & it's a lot.

What date are we looking at??? icon_lol.gif

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 29 May 2009 , 10:10pm
post #7 of 15

Yeah...those tiers are definitely foam cored.

Neelas_wife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Neelas_wife Posted 29 May 2009 , 11:40pm
post #8 of 15

This cake is for my frens wedding. She really likes the cake and wanted to know if I can make it for her. We are not best frens but good frens. So I dont have a business - live in CAicon_sad.gif

For one I am not too hyper abt the size of the cake and even If I put in all my time and effort....wish I can be paid for it but then again dont have a businessicon_sad.gif

The sizes are 16 ; 14; 12; 10 and 8 - Each abt 6" tall as a bare min. She wants the bottom two tiers as a real cake and the rest of it made of foam...Flowers she mentioned she can live without it....I was hoping a simple wedding cake.....Not sure if I shud charge her the material cost but then all my time into it...I really donno what to do - very confused - sob sobicon_sad.gif

-K8memphis Posted 29 May 2009 , 11:53pm
post #9 of 15

Definitely charge her for all your out of pocket cost plus like half again more for paper towels and stuff you already have, utilites you're gonna use etc. No question about it--it's her cake right? You should not provide it for her. You're not The Salvation Cake-ry.

Normita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Normita Posted 30 May 2009 , 2:09am
post #10 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by k8memphis

I mean when you say how much, do you mean how much from CCC or how much from moi? Or how much to make it yourself?

I can answer one of those three questions--from me it'd be about $1500 give or take plus delivery plus for any fancy flavors.

I don't know for sure of course but just guessing it seems that the tiers are 5 or 6 inches tall--do they seem over tall to you --they do to me.

So I'm guessing it's a 16x14x12x10x8

So lemme do that math...brb...that's 297 so we'll call it 300 plus the additional height--could be another layer of foam core or more cake batter--but cake that tall doesn't fit on the cake plates so in my imagining here we'll go with the half inch foamcore--ok two half inch layers of foam core per tier.

I mean the construction is not a biggie--it's beautiful with the added height but it's offset tiers--I'd charge quite a bit for those flowers on the long flowing branches. $180-ish? There's like six branches that are about a foot long each. So add that all up & it's a lot.

What date are we looking at??? icon_lol.gif

I'm sorry....but was is foam core and where do you use it on the cake?? Do you use it on top of the cake do give it more height and then BC or fondant it? Oh..and where do you buy?

Redlotusninjagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Redlotusninjagrl Posted 30 May 2009 , 2:14am
post #11 of 15

The Salvation Cake-ry...... *chuckle chuckle* I like that!

-K8memphis Posted 30 May 2009 , 2:25am
post #12 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Normita

I'm sorry....but was is foam core and where do you use it on the cake?? Do you use it on top of the cake do give it more height and then BC or fondant it? Oh..and where do you buy?

Foam core is like super charged poster board with an inner layer of styrofoam. Available at Michael's and Hobby Lobby and on the internet. There's a thicker and a thinner version, maybe more kinds but that's all I 've seen.

So in that cake--if each tier is not really that tall with just cake inside & foam core was used to make up the difference, I would place the cakes on top of it. well come to think of it there'd probably need to be two inches of foam core if the cake was six inches tall.

Normita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Normita Posted 30 May 2009 , 4:29am
post #13 of 15
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Normita

Foam core is like super charged poster board with an inner layer of styrofoam. Available at Michael's and Hobby Lobby and on the internet. There's a thicker and a thinner version, maybe more kinds but that's all I 've seen.

So in that cake--if each tier is not really that tall with just cake inside & foam core was used to make up the difference, I would place the cakes on top of it. well come to think of it there'd probably need to be two inches of foam core if the cake was six inches tall.

Thanks K8Memphis...so then would you need something on top of the foam core (wax paper or icing???) before you place the cake?? Do you BC and fondant as usual, if it were cake? Sorry for so many questions...I always wanted to know what foam core was used for icon_smile.gif

-K8memphis Posted 30 May 2009 , 10:51am
post #14 of 15

Yes bc and fondant as usual. There's debate about covering the foamcore or not. Some people do some people don't. I usually don't cover my foamcore board.

I mean if you get the cardboard circles those are just sitting around in boxes too. I don't know. I usually don't but could be guilted into having to cover them.

The mantra I repeat is that Colette does not cover hers. I don't even know for sure if this is true but that's the mantra and it works for me.

icon_biggrin.gif

Evoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Evoir Posted 30 May 2009 , 11:04am
post #15 of 15
Quote:

..... You're not The Salvation Cake-ry.

Bwhahahahaa...gonna have to remember that one icon_wink.gificon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%