Baking A Large Cake

Decorating By freshlybakedcookies Updated 26 Sep 2009 , 4:48pm by luvmysmoother

freshlybakedcookies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
freshlybakedcookies Posted 29 May 2009 , 8:49pm
post #1 of 21

I am baking a 12" cake next week and want it to bake evenly in the middle. I read somewhere that I could put a flower nail in the pan to make it bake evenly. I think I may have read it on this site but now I can't find it. I don't want to buy those Bake Even strips or a heating core that Wilton sells. Can anyone confirm that the flower nail method works? Or offer alternate suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

20 replies
hollyh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hollyh Posted 29 May 2009 , 8:53pm
post #2 of 21

I use the flower nail all the time and it works! It is much easier than a heating core!

jenng1482 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenng1482 Posted 29 May 2009 , 8:54pm
post #3 of 21

I have baked 12" and even 14" rounds without using a core or a nail and never had any problems. I have read about the nail method on this site. Just spray it and place it upside down in the center of your pan. I dont like using the core because of the "plug" you have to place back into the cake.

Uniqueask Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Uniqueask Posted 29 May 2009 , 9:00pm
post #4 of 21

I also read on here where you can use wet paper towels, wrapped in foil paper, and then wrap them around your pans.

DeeDelightful Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeeDelightful Posted 29 May 2009 , 9:01pm
post #5 of 21

I've baked 12 x 18 sheet cake without using anything. I always use the bake even strips, bake at 350 for 30-35 minutes and they turn out great.

crystalina1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crystalina1977 Posted 29 May 2009 , 9:30pm
post #6 of 21

i just baked two 12' x 3" rounds last week with no core. just started the oven off at 300 for twenty minutes or so and then turned it up to 325. it takes a long time to bake but it did not get overbaked.

bakingatthebeach Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakingatthebeach Posted 29 May 2009 , 10:15pm
post #7 of 21

Ive used the nail, and not used the nail. Sometimes it works great without the nail, always works great with the nail. So to avoid baking over, I always stick the nail in when baking 12 in or larger.

panchanewjersey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
panchanewjersey Posted 29 May 2009 , 10:28pm
post #8 of 21

I've baked large sheet pan cakes and never put a nail or core in center and don't have a problem. Cakes bakes just right. If you don't have those baking strips I saw a demo that used towels (not paper) but bath or heavy kitchen towels very wet (not dripping though) and they pinned them in place. Works just like the strips.

freshlybakedcookies Posted 30 May 2009 , 2:16am
post #9 of 21

Thanks, everyone! I'll try using the nail and see what happens.

deetmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deetmar Posted 30 May 2009 , 2:53am
post #10 of 21

I use the nails too, and they work wonderful. I have also used the heat cores, but on my really big cakes 18" I prefer the nails.

freshlybakedcookies Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 5:11am
post #11 of 21

I just baked my 12" cake using a flower nail and it turned out beautifully! There's barely a bump on top. I even collared the pan to get a higher rise.

Thanks again everyone!

cindy1176 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cindy1176 Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 2:24pm
post #12 of 21

I have used the strips, but I do large sheet cakes a couple times a week...I am interested in the nail method. Do you put the nail upside down in the pan before you put the batter in?

NottawaChelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NottawaChelle Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 2:33pm
post #13 of 21

Make sure you grease and flour the nail, then place it in the centre of the pan upside down. Pour your batter around it in the pan. When the cake is done and turned out on the cooling rack, the flat surface will be sitting on top of your cake and you can just pop it out with a knife. It works really well.

Minstrelmiss Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Minstrelmiss Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 2:35pm
post #14 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by cindy1176

Do you put the nail upside down in the pan before you put the batter in?

I do icon_smile.gif I place it in before the batter and have never had batter get under the nail.

oneyracing Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
oneyracing Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 2:37pm
post #15 of 21

i have to say last night was the first time i used a nail in my 12x18 cake pan...and it worked wonderful...the middle was done at the same time as the rest...i have been meaning to try it...just havent used my big pan for awhile...

Walls1971 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Walls1971 Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 2:40pm
post #16 of 21

In addition to using a flower nail, in a pinch I've also used a large (1M) piping tip! I just put it in the pan upside down and filled it with batter, too (like a baking core). Necessity IS the mother of invention icon_surprised.gif

jardot22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jardot22 Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 3:38pm
post #17 of 21

I just bake at 300 degrees without any flower nail or heating core or bake even strips and it comes out perfect. It takes a while (like an hour for a 12 inch), but the sides dont get overdone and it doesnt' dome too much. Good luck!

linsa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
linsa Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 5:11pm
post #18 of 21

I love the bake even strips but would it hurt to use the strips and the flower nail?

Hollysuann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Hollysuann Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 6:33pm
post #19 of 21

I just did 2 sheet cakes and a 16 in square cake and used the nail on all of them. They came out beautifully!! It was the first time I tried it and now I won't go back to not using it!

BobS1994 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BobS1994 Posted 26 Sep 2009 , 3:10pm
post #20 of 21

i am baking a 46 cm by 35 cm cake in a tray how long will this need to cook and should i use the nail????
thanks
bob

luvmysmoother Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvmysmoother Posted 26 Sep 2009 , 4:48pm
post #21 of 21

The biggest cake I've ever baked so far is a 12" square - didn't use anything and they turned out great. I think for the 14" cake I have to do in a couple months I'll definitely try the nail - don't want to take any chancesicon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%